Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
DIY Solenoid purge valve replacement -P0449

I am going to go for it on the DIY solenoid purge valve replacement without dropping rear. I spent about an hour taking things apart and it looks like my hand fits in there and I can get the lines off. I am sure there are things that will go wrong but WTH. Amazon actually had the ACDelco 19329627 part for 51 bucks. Just a few more bucks than rock auto.

I read another member got it done so I am gonna try it.

Worst case I am out the fifty bucks and I tuck my tail between my legs and go to the mechanic.

What made me go for it was I can get my hand in there with room to spare and I can get my hands on all the parts I need to replace.

The part comes on sat and I will add to this as I go.
Attached Images

Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
MoCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro
Definitely looking forward to how it goes for you. I just got the same code last week and I wasn't looking forward to dropping the rear to get to it.
MoCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
subscribed, good luck, get us updated.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Wizzer

I am going to pause on this before I jump in. Just for kicks I sent a PM to the chevy rep on the forum and asked them why the 2012 owners have a letter stating it will be covered and the 2010 owners didn't get a letter?

They responded with "Regarding the solenoid vent valve, we would like to touch base with an internal resource in efforts to confirm if any recall/announcements were made for the 2010 model years and to check for any information that may be related."

They asked for my mileage and the dealer I went to. I think before I take the chance I will just wait to see if they will cover me. I heard sometimes if you take the time to write them they will help you out.

I know for a fact if they do I will feel very good about getting a 2016.

I'll post up what they say. Hopefully this ends well. If not I am still gonna try it on my own.

The part will be here tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Can't really blame you for waiting, the forum member who did it without dropping the tank, took 3-4 hrs of work.

Still don't know how he did it.
Where is the part in the pic?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Wizzer

Got the part.

I got the part today. Looks semi easy with the exception of the clip that holds in tight.

Got another response from chevy saying they are going to call the dealer for something and then they will get back to me. I can't imagine what the dealer can tell them. I just brought it there for the $120.00 diag and went away with my tail between my legs. Here is what the part looks like close up.

It actually helped me to see the part because I can see exactly the hoses that have to come off and I can see the clip bracket.

I have to hand it to Chevy. They get back to my PM with in half a day of me sending it to them.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Wingsfan

Drives: Synergy Camaro, Escape
Good luck on both sides, was told last year they couldn't do anything for me. Makes no sense. Just depends on who you talk to I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Wizzer

Chevy has been going back and forth with me. Not much luck. I nicely mentioned that not only do I feel the failure of the solenoid should have not failed with only 5 years ( 50k) on my car but my passenger side seat belt module failed almost a year ago as well. I don't car pool and my wife has a Honda. I drive to work alone and home alone. The module started failing without a body in the seat to even stress it. That's a $1600 repair.

Repairs are part of owning a car I just feel that these two items failed wayyyyy to early.

I own two Honda's as well and all the cost me are spark plugs - brake pads and fluid changes. They have both held up excellently.

I don't know. What can you do. lol

Guess you got to pay to play. Maybe I should buy the new Prius - rob a bank and never get caught. lol I love that commercial.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Wizzer

Yup hosed

Yup hosed.

I got the nicest letter telling me I am boned.

Well nothing ventured nothing gained.

Looks like I will start the repair bright and early tomorrow and see how far I get.

I did decide to postpone my Camaro purchase a few years to let them get the kinks worked out. That is all the little man can really do.

Also found this pic on google showing what the underside looks like. Part is in the top right.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Wizzer

Well its a fail. Spent about two hours under the car. The part I can not get off is the clip holding it on. Which leaves me with two options. I could break the old unit by crushing it with channel locks to give me more room to work or I cut into the top of the trunk floorboard with my plasma cutter and make a small access door. Let me tell you how easy it would be then. OMG. I could pull it though the floor and reweld the plate back. We just have the little issue of the gas tank and sparks. Not good.

Both are bad options. My luck hot metal would drip down from the plasma cutter onto the gas tank and I would blow up.

It was a great attempt. I will just bring it in later in the spring and get it done by them dropping the cradle. I might time it with the next tire change because I get it aligned anyhow for that.

Thanks GM engineer for putting that part in such a good awful spot.

Now the part goes back to amazon. They have a great return policy.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Wow that stinks, can you get a hose off and maybe spray an intake safe cleaner into the valve? It may flush it out and bring it back to life. This would be my choice in solving the code.
There is a fuel pump access door post on here where they cut a hole in the floor and just screw a piece of sheet
metal back on with silicone sealant,. I'll try to find it.....here it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Why not just cut an access panel under back seat. Did mine this way and now can replace pump in minutes. Not mine but similar.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=230749&page=2
Also this:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post5708189

Last edited by TooCool5; 02-18-2016 at 06:32 PM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Wizzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Wow that stinks, can you get a hose off and maybe spray an intake safe cleaner into the valve? It may flush it out and bring it back to life. This would be my choice in solving the code.
There is a fuel pump access door post on here where they cut a hole in the floor and just screw a piece of sheet
metal back on with silicone sealant,. I'll try to find it.....here it is....

Also this:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post5708189

The solution is for me to stop being cheap lol. Hard for an ex mechanic to let another mechanic to touch his ride. Anytime it gets too complex I will have to suck it up. At least I gave it a try. Good thoughts though.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:24 AM   #13
MoCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro
So I took a stab at this as well and unfortunately I could only get as far as Wizzer did. The electrical plug came out easily, but the spring clamp was rusted pretty bad. It is a ridiculously tight fit, so I couldn't get my hand and a pair of pliers on the clamp. If your arm is skinny enough to fit between the exhaust/undercarriage, you could get it from the other side. Might give it another go on my off week before taking it to the shop.
MoCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #14
orbitearl

Drives: 2010 r/s switchblade metalic
F GM we need a recall
orbitearl is offline   Reply With Quote