Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
summitwhitehot

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
2011 Camaro Windshield Optical Distortion

Hello all,

I'm a new poster on this forum and signed up specifically to ask others about an issue I've been having to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

The windshield in my 2011 Camaro appears to have optical distortion which creates a ghosting effect (almost double-vision like) that is very distracting. For example, when I look at an oncoming car’s headlights, I can see not only the headlights themselves, but also a ghost-like image of another headlight on the same car. So essentially, two headlights become four (I hope this makes sense because it’s hard to explain). I’ve also gotten this effect looking at tail-lights in front of me, traffic lights, road signs, and etcetera. This effect is even seen during daytime driving with sunlight reflections, and daytime driving head lights; however it is most problematic at night and low light conditions.

The reason I feel it is optical distortion in the windshield is because if I raise my head to the very top portion of the windshield, the optical distortion seemingly goes away. I feel this is indicative of an anomaly/defect in the windshield itself. I’ve had the windshield replaced once with a new factory windshield but unfortunately the optical distortion issues remain. I’m currently trying to have the issue resolved at the dealer by getting someone who can actually see what is going on while driving the vehicle.

In my opinion, it’s a serious safety hazard that I’ve certainly never experienced in any other vehicle I’ve ever driven and why I feel it’s not my vision either.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
summitwhitehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Think it's just you to be honest ... No problems with either of mine and the front glass should be the same.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
summitwhitehot

I can understand this viewpoint about my vision, however, how do I not see this effect in any of the other 3 vehicles I drive? Not to mention I have 20/20 vision...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Wow. I haven't heard of this before and do not have the problem. It seems really odd that you still have it after replacing the windshield. I believe you that the problem exists, and have some questions that may help us figure this out.

1) Has anyone else seen the issue?
2) Do you wear any kind of glasses, contacts, etc?
3) Have you tried wearing polarized sunglasses to see if you still have the issue while wearing them? I know it is already low light conditions but it would be good to test this anyway.
4) Can you see it from the passenger side as well, or just a specific area on the driver's side?
5) Do you see any distortion if you look in from the outside, any obvious defects or "different" areas on the glass? Try lots of angles and catch different reflections to see if you can spot anything odd in the shape or surface of the glass itself.
6) If you close one eye do you still see the problem?
7) Do you treat the glass with anything? Rain-x, Wax, any add-on tint? What type of washer fluid do you use?
8) When you see the ghosting effect is it side by side or above / below?
9) Are you SURE they replaced the windshield? (In other words you trust them not to be humoring you and say they did when they didn't).
10) Do you see any ghosting or other image variations in the inside rearview mirror at night?
11) Do you have any lighting on inside the car at night?

Sorry for so many questions, and to be clear I doubt it is your vision either since you haven't had this with other cars - it is just very strange! It will be interesting to see if anyone else has this problem.
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
No issues here.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitwhitehot View Post
I can understand this viewpoint about my vision, however, how do I not see this effect in any of the other 3 vehicles I drive? Not to mention I have 20/20 vision...
Do the other three have HUDs in them. Since they installed the HUD in the Camaro they went to a different type of windshield to prevent distortion of the display of the HUD.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
scorpion1206
scorpion1206

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I get an effect when I drive at night and pass street lamps. The effect from the light looks like there are "rain drops" made of light going up my windshield.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
You can have 20/20 vision and still have issues with sight.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
krabtree13
krabtree13

Drives: '10 S.W. 2SS/RS w/I.O. stripe pkg
you guys know that certain drugs are illegal,right ?!
krabtree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
summitwhitehot

Thanks for your reply Flashpoint. I'll try to answer each of your points.

1) No one else but a service manager drove the vehicle prior to changing the windshield. He did not see the issue but also stated he needed glasses and shouldn't be driving to verify the issue. So, I'm taking it this week to see if another manager or technician can see the problem.
2) I do not wear any corrective lenses. I have 20/20 vision.
3) I have tried polarized sunglasses and the effect is still present.
4) I can see it from the passenger side as well. It appears the only place it goes away is when I raise my head to the very top portion of the windshield (head nearly touching roof)
5)I haven't noticed any distortion from the outside looking at the windshield.
6)I still see it when closing one eye.
7)I've not treated the windshield with anything and the wiper fluid is still from factory. (Just bought in August).
8.The ghosting effect is usually to the right and below it slightly.
9)They did replace the windshield. I watched them replace it personally with the new one.
10) Nothing in the rearview mirror that I can tell.
11). I have no other light inside outside the ambient light that is factory in the car.

Last edited by summitwhitehot; 11-30-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
summitwhitehot

I understand the vision viewpoint OUR72GTO, but it would stand to reason that I would see this in the other vehicles I drive, not to mention the anomaly wouldn't go away when I raise my head to the top of the windshield.

Nonetheless, I won't argue the vision point. I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced similar issues. Thank you for your response.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitwhitehot View Post
Thanks for your replay Flashpoint. I'll try to answer each of your points.

1) No one else but a service manager drove the vehicle prior to changing the windshield. He did not see the issue but also stated he needed glasses and shouldn't be driving to verify the issue. So, I'm taking it this week to see if another manager or technician can see the problem.
2) I do not wear any corrective lenses. I have 20/20 vision.
3) I have tried polarized sunglasses and the effect is still present.
4) I can see it from the passenger side as well. It appears the only place it goes away is when I raise my head to the very top portion of the windshield (head nearly touching roof)
5)I haven't noticed any distortion from the outside looking at the windshield.
6)I still see it when closing one eye.
7)I've not treated the windshield with anything and the wiper fluid is still from factory. (Just bought in August).
8.The ghosting effect is usually to the right and below it slightly.
9)The did replace the windshield. I watched them replace it personally with the new one.
10) Nothing in the rearview mirror that I can tell.
11). I have no other light inside outside the ambient light that is factory in the car.

I don't have any idea now, sorry. Hopefully you can get someone else at the dealership to see it, and they can figure it out. Please let us know the outcome of this!
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
First couple of things I'd check are - HUD and brand of glass. Is it a HUD car with a HUD W/S or non and non? And is it a GM W/S? The GM id and HUD identifier will be in the corner.

I've seen aftermarket windshields have this problem bad. Any chance they replaced the windshield before you bought it?

The W/S is two layers, with a clear plastic layer between them. That plastic layer is wedge shaped to prevent seeing two images when looking at a light. If you do see a ghost image, that wedge shaped inner layer may not be shaped right - common with cheap aftermarket glass.

I'd drive another Camaro at night from their lot to make sure other Camaros don't have that same characteristic. If the others don't have that ghosting problem with lights, going to need another W/S to try to fix.

I had a Silverado once, OE windshield was great. Then it got cracked and replaced with an aftermarket one. Driving at night was horrible - tons of glare and double ghosting of lights. I learned then to never use aftermarket glass.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Have you been checked for cataracts?

Sounds strange though, I never noticed anything like that.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote