Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
StigsAmericanCousin

Drives: Fast, Fun and Loud
Camaro Vs Mustang

Just been cruising the forum reading different posts and what not. One thing I consistently see is bashing of the Camaro's only rival, the Mustang. My question I have is this, where is the appreciation for the Camaro faithful's most hated rival? I see an unbreakable bond between the Mustang and Camaro. Much like a sports rivalry such as Yankees/Red Sox, Dodgers/Giants, Lakers/Celtics, I see these two powerhouses of automotive might as rivals. Where would one be without the other? These two cars have combined for 87 years of production and millions of units sold. They share a similar architecture, power numbers and, dare I say, fan-base(?). Think of it this way, if there were never any Mustangs built, and you pulled up to a stop light, what would your foe in the next lane be driving?

Now before you go flaming me as a Blue Oval lover in disguise consider this. I grew up in a family where we have had all kinds of performance oriented AMERICAN cars. My grandfather worked for Chrysler for nearly 70 years. The first car my mom bought was a 1969 Corvette, 350 with an automatic. The second car she bought was a 1970 Stingray 454, 4 speed T-top car that is still in the family today. Other cars in my family have included: '77 Firebird T/A 400, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 1988 Mustang coupe 5.0 5 speed, 2005 Mustang GT 5 speed. And it looks like the next car on the list will be a new Cadillac CTS-V.

What's your take on the rivalry I hope will never die?
StigsAmericanCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Honestly there are a lot of guys on here who respect and like the mustangs (myself included) but a lot of us also have fun jabbing at the other side even though we aren't 100% opposed to switching if Ford makes a better product. The problem is the Camaro fanboys who aren't car guys but just Camaro guys are also a very vocal bunch so it makes it seem like there are more of them than there acutally are. Go look at the Mustang forums and it's the same story a lot of respectful guys who love cars and a group of others who only love Mustangs and bring up "govt" motors every chance they get.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
I grew up a Ford/Dodge guy as well.

I still find myself rooting for Fords in NASCAR & the NHRA but when I drove the Camaro vs the Mustang I became hooked on the Camaro.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Like every other thread around here is either something to do with the Mustang, or devolves into something to do with the Mustang. There are other cars, you know.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
StigsAmericanCousin

I know the Fanboys from both sides are guilty of the same acts. I myself am a bit partial to the Mustang, but there would always be room in my driveway for a clean, bright red IROC Camaro. Or any 67-69 first gen for that matter. I just see the two cars as having an unbreakable bond, rivals forever. I think that the combined production time truly speaks for how great each platform is.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
StigsAmericanCousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Like every other thread around here is either something to do with the Mustang, or devolves into something to do with the Mustang. There are other cars, you know.
Sure do, you'd crap your tighty whities if I told you my daily driver. Its American and a five speed, super cold A/c and gets an average on 29MPG city/highway.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Must be the Accord! lol.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
StigsAmericanCousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator75 View Post
Must be the Accord! lol.
It is definitely not a Honda! I said I'd never own anything Honda ever, but last year I traded my RC car crap for a 2004 CRF250F, super clean, low hours. Traded that for a new mountain bike, cash, tires for my commuter and tickets to a LA Kings playoff game. Good trade?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
If Ford didn't make Mustangs, I would drive a Camaro. Both are great cars, and the Challenger as well. Preferences come down to what you like since the performance is so close among the three. Mustangs do get a bad rap because there are so many out there in the price range that allows kids to buy them. Camaros hiatus has made most of the older ones sort of special and older guys are starting to collect them. This is also why the riceburners have gotten such a bad rep, seems like every kid has one and thinks it's fast.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
My Wife & I both had 65 Mustangs as 1st cars. Mine was a conv & hers was a coup. We've owned more than a handful of Camaros & Mustangs each.

My Wife & I like the current offerings so much we bought a new Mustang GT. Challenger SRT8 & Camaro SS/RS. All great cars, each with their +/-.

Can't wait to see what the next gen of cars bring.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsAmericanCousin View Post
Sure do, you'd crap your tighty whities if I told you my daily driver. Its American and a five speed, super cold A/c and gets an average on 29MPG city/highway.
Won't say what it is though, eh? I guess that makes my point. Back to More Mustang chat with your host, Mustang Dude #895773485783!
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
StigsAmericanCousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Won't say what it is though, eh? I guess that makes my point. Back to More Mustang chat with your host, Mustang Dude #895773485783!
WRONG! It gets 29 MPH and doesn't wear a bow tie or a blue oval. So, Mustang is out. I don't think the 4 cylinder fox could pull off 29 mpg.
But thanks for trying to "out" me like so many others on this forum. With skills like these you ever think of become a private eye?

So back on topic, what's your thoughts on the rivalry?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
We love trading jabs at each other, until an import enters the arena. Then we must bond with our Ford rivals to fight off the offending sound and odor the imports produce!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
I sort of agree with you yzrider, but I'd change out import with "ricer". There are some nice imports out there that as a "car guy" I have to respect. But a riced-out car foreign or domestic needs to meet a firey end.
crysalis_01 is offline   Reply With Quote