Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Great stuff guys... Can't wait to hear the results...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #30
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Thats cool and all (pun intended) but long term, (IMHO) the extra capacity does nothing to cool the fluid. It takes slightly longer to heat up, but once its at temp its the same as a small reservior.
In a drag racing scenario this tank system would work great.
A better plan (for road use) would be a larger capacity radiator or heat exchanger, or an active cooler.
A larger tank also adds considerably more weight on the drivers side.
I would like to see a better radiator or an active cooler for the car. Have you guys had a look at the radiator (air to water) and can a larger one be used?
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #31
Redline Motorsports

Drives: Several...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Thats cool and all (pun intended) but long term, (IMHO) the extra capacity does nothing to cool the fluid. It takes slightly longer to heat up, but once its at temp its the same as a small reservior.
In a drag racing scenario this tank system would work great.
A better plan (for road use) would be a larger capacity radiator or heat exchanger, or an active cooler.
A larger tank also adds considerably more weight on the drivers side.
I would like to see a better radiator or an active cooler for the car. Have you guys had a look at the radiator (air to water) and can a larger one be used?
Already underway..... And the extra two gallons on fluid isn't effecting the balance of he car. Oh.....and street driving..... It does drop temps...

Howard
Redline Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The GM pump is off the Volt (allegedly). I believe the Volt pump is running st 50 watts while in ZL1, it is pushing out to 80 watts. I have not seen flow rates posted so I don't know what the power difference correlates to :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
Is this going to eliminate the need for a larger heat exchanger?
Even though the two are in a complete system the heat exchanger is very undersized for the vehicle and the dual pass/larger area heat exchanger we offer would make a great difference. The heat exchanger, combined with a nice tank would make a huge difference.

To answer your question, no, this will not eliminate the need for a larger, more efficient heat exchanger
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports View Post
We utilized the factory air box mounts.
Howard, the tanks looks awesome and sure holds a ton of fluid. Can you run the factory airbox or a factory style mounted airbox with this mounting location?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Meister@Torq

Any info on this? Curious to see if it will work with a factory airbox or factory style airboxes. It looks like it interferes and I have some customers inquiring.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
ZL WON

Drives: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
What pump does the ZL1 use and do you know the flow rate? Does the location offer up easy removal to be replaced by something like a meizer remote?
The flow rate of the Buehler pump that is in the ZL1 is ONLY 4gpm. For 580hp, you need at least 11gpm. I just got off the phone with Buehler and this is what the guy told me. He mentioned that the pump for the ZL1 is identical to the pump in the Chevy Volt execept the one in the volt only flow 2.5gpm, it's rated at 50w where the ZL1's pump output is rated at 80w.

Last edited by ZL WON; 05-11-2012 at 03:04 PM.
ZL WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Is this unit ever going to be offered to the public?
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #38
tsnow

Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
How many GPM is a ZR1 pump?
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #39
ZL WON

Drives: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
How many GPM is a ZR1 pump?
9 GPM
ZL WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #40
Meister@Torq

Remember, hose size really changes the flowrate of the pump. We use a 55GPM pump but with the 5/8 hose it makes it around 20GPM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #41
gonabite

Drives: 2016 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
Remember, hose size really changes the flowrate of the pump. We use a 55GPM pump but with the 5/8 hose it makes it around 20GPM.

Just wondering why your are posting in another vendors thread promoting "YOUR" product? Kind of odd and maybe a bit rude if I do say so myself.
gonabite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #42
Redline Motorsports

Drives: Several...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
Howard, the tanks looks awesome and sure holds a ton of fluid. Can you run the factory airbox or a factory style mounted airbox with this mounting location?
For a shop that makes there own tank it sounds like your trying to "bait and catch" this thread.

Bottom line is our tank helped propel a very mildly built ZL1 to to fast passes due to its capabilities. Our tank is for the serious ZL1 customer who wants to go fast which is why the stock air box goes and is replaced with our bigger unit.

The intake,chiller tank and remote tank for washer fluid is sold as a package so we took care of all the coordination.

We have countless trips to the drag strip and have data logged all the results to how it works..the tank in our shop car has two type k thermal couples that also registered the tanks effects...all this with a stock heat exchanger....

95 ambient air temps.....68 degrees in the supercharger and only 118 degrees after a 10.18 pass.......plus ice still in the tank after grabbing the slip and going back to pits......works for us.

Howard
Redline Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote