Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
Smile Rear end noise when going over bumps on the road

Does anyone's rear end sound like it rattles when on a bumpy road. It almost sounds like cables or linkage bouncing around against something. Sounds loose. I know it's a very poorly worded question and will probably bring some poor answers. Thanks for the GOOD answers.
Schmo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
actually I hear the same in mine and was gonna have it checked out. I jacked it up and put it on stands to give it a look over and to my eye can't see anything wrong. That and I get a weird humming sound when I turn slowly like in a parking lot also coming from the rear
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyKiller74 View Post
actually I hear the same in mine and was gonna have it checked out. I jacked it up and put it on stands to give it a look over and to my eye can't see anything wrong. That and I get a weird humming sound when I turn slowly like in a parking lot also coming from the rear
The humming sound is probably your limited slip diff. Mine started doing it at about 5000 miles. I changed the fluid again and the hum disappeared.
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyKiller74 View Post
If you happen to take it in can you post what they found? Thanks
Schmo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
2013zl1guy

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo Z View Post
Does anyone's rear end sound like it rattles when on a bumpy road. It almost sounds like cables or linkage bouncing around against something. Sounds loose. I know it's a very poorly worded question and will probably bring some poor answers. Thanks for the GOOD answers.
I hear a rattling sound when driving through a dirt parking lot slowly. The sensation is that something is loose between the wheels and chassis. To be honest I have no idea where it comes from or what it could be. I'm guessing it is the same thing you have.
2013zl1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
It could be the rear springs a buddy of mine had an odd sound from the rear of his 13 ZL1. It was like a creaking sound it turned out to be his drivers side rear spring. GM replaced it no issues since.