Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
TX front license plate law removed (Law still in place - need two plates)

Did anyone else happen to see tonight on the news where some new legislation had just passed and they accidentally left off something with the punishment phase of the no front license plate law. That in turn means that at the moment there is no law breaking by not running a front license plate.

I'm not sure I understood everything they were talking about but I did catch it briefly on the news.

Anyone else see or know more about it?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
from a Google news search:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/traffic/...ate-law-011112

to save ya the trip over there....Thanks for the post/tip caverman!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adapted for Web by Tracy DeLatte | myFOXdfw.com
DALLAS - Vehicles in Texas must display both front and back license plates. It’s been a state law since 1934. But lawmakers in rewriting the state transportation code recently made what could be a serious omission.
“Absolutely it is a potentially very big problem,” said Robert Gregg, a criminal defense and personal injury attorney. “The issue is not whether it is a fine. That’s where we start. The issue is whether or not it’s a crime.”
The old law read, “A person commits an offense if the person operates… a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates at the front and rear of the vehicle.”
In the new bill passed into law on the last day of the session that language was accidentally struck from the measure.
“Problem is they didn’t move it over to the new section, therefore it’s not a crime,” Gregg said.
And if the offense is no crime, law enforcement officials may no longer be able to pull people over for it.
“It is fairly common. Unfortunately in this state people don’t really adhere to the two plate rule like they should. They put a lot of their school logos or their favorite football or baseball team and it is against the law. It is a crime,” said Sgt. Don Pertiz with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department.
Pertiz said the law is often used as a tool to stop criminals on the streets.
“You’d be surprised how many offenses we uncover that start with no front license plate,” he said.
Trying to rectify the wrong, El Paso lawmaker Joe Pickett, who wrote the bill, has asked the attorney general for an opinion on whether it is a Class C misdemeanor not to display two license plates on a motor vehicle.
“Most times they don’t give you a ticket for this so the issue of not having a fine is not really it. The issue is they’ve taken out that it’s an offense. It’s not an offense. They can’t use it to pull somebody over, which they use it every day all day long,” Gregg said.
Pertiz said officers will likely continue to issue tickets based on the original law and let the courts worry about it.

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/traffic/...#ixzz1jF1uUkt0

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Good read.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
from a Google news search:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/traffic/...ate-law-011112

to save ya the trip over there....Thanks for the post/tip caverman!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adapted for Web by Tracy DeLatte | myFOXdfw.com
DALLAS - Vehicles in Texas must display both front and back license plates. It’s been a state law since 1934. But lawmakers in rewriting the state transportation code recently made what could be a serious omission.
“Absolutely it is a potentially very big problem,” said Robert Gregg, a criminal defense and personal injury attorney. “The issue is not whether it is a fine. That’s where we start. The issue is whether or not it’s a crime.”
The old law read, “A person commits an offense if the person operates… a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates at the front and rear of the vehicle.”
In the new bill passed into law on the last day of the session that language was accidentally struck from the measure.
“Problem is they didn’t move it over to the new section, therefore it’s not a crime,” Gregg said.
And if the offense is no crime, law enforcement officials may no longer be able to pull people over for it.
“It is fairly common. Unfortunately in this state people don’t really adhere to the two plate rule like they should. They put a lot of their school logos or their favorite football or baseball team and it is against the law. It is a crime,” said Sgt. Don Pertiz with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department.
Pertiz said the law is often used as a tool to stop criminals on the streets.
“You’d be surprised how many offenses we uncover that start with no front license plate,” he said.
Trying to rectify the wrong, El Paso lawmaker Joe Pickett, who wrote the bill, has asked the attorney general for an opinion on whether it is a Class C misdemeanor not to display two license plates on a motor vehicle.
“Most times they don’t give you a ticket for this so the issue of not having a fine is not really it. The issue is they’ve taken out that it’s an offense. It’s not an offense. They can’t use it to pull somebody over, which they use it every day all day long,” Gregg said.
Pertiz said officers will likely continue to issue tickets based on the original law and let the courts worry about it.

that sounds like complete and utter b@llsh@t if they know they are issuing tickets for something that isn't illegal
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the info... I think I'll print out this story and keep it in my car in case I get pulled over - couldn't hurt, and maybe it'll change a potential ticket into a warning. I've managed to not get pulled over so far (two years now).

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
Thanks for the info... I think I'll print out this story and keep it in my car in case I get pulled over - couldn't hurt, and maybe it'll change a potential ticket into a warning. I've managed to not get pulled over so far (two years now).

Same boat, no ticket in two years....good idea to print it out.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Good to know was pulled over about a month after I got mine. But no ticket. I still do not have a front plate.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Did anyone else happen to see tonight on the news where some new legislation had just passed and they accidentally left off something with the punishment phase of the no front license plate law. That in turn means that at the moment there is no law breaking by not running a front license plate.

I'm not sure I understood everything they were talking about but I did catch it briefly on the news.

Anyone else see or know more about it?
I saw it and grinned as I still dont and will not install mine.

I have never had a cop say anything to me however there is always that one who would/will.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Dustin Clary

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss/rs White/Inferno
Great find. I will definitely be printing this out.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Too funny. In their rush to take another break they missed one of a million laws. lol
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
EL_GUAPO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black
"Pertiz said officers will likely continue to issue tickets based on the original law and let the courts worry about it."

TX DPS will still pull you over, I got stopped last December for not having a front license plate.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
wholloway6

Drives: 2012 2LT RS M6
Speak of the devil... I just got a ticket for this today. Guess nobody told the police about this..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Moni
H-Town Camaro Club VP

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
interesting!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Texas Fright

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS - 2006 Cadillac CTS
When I had my 4th gen convertible about 8 years ago I had an SLP grill on it and no front plate. I had a 60 mile roundtrip commute through DFW for work and In 14 months I got got stopped over 20 times for no front plate, no joke. Didn't help the car was red with custom wheel and aftermarket parts so it caught their eyes quickly. After the 7th or 8th time I bought a factory front plate holder and put a plate in it, when I got stopped I would just say it fell off because a bracket broke and I was waiting for a replacement bracket. They never wrote me a ticket and let me go every time, I would recommend trying that. Surprisingly the same cop never pulled me over twice lol

Unfortunately I have one on my cts and camaro now and hate them
Closed Thread