Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Unhappy Why cant I get the engine back in

3 of us fought for 5 hrs and could not get it the last 1/2" trany (M6) is in the car. I hope im not fing up the input shaft. bashed my finger good too. do i have to take the trany out?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 06-03-2015 at 12:45 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Why was it out
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
Pull the tranny and stab the whole thing as one piece. Lining up the clutch and input shaft is tough with the tranny already in the car if you don't have some practice.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Are you sure you properly aligned the clutch/PP plate when tightening the bolts on the PP? Sounds like your out of alignment slightly so the very end of the trans input shaft is not entering the pilot bearing properly. That would be the last 1/2".

When using an alignment tool you still have a bit of play so wiggle it each way and then judge the center of the play as your point to tighten the bolts. And always tighten them evenly criss crossing so it pulls the clutch plate in evenly.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
JCunningham

i did tighten it in a crisscross pattern with the tool. the tool will still go all the way in.
did a cam, lifters, oil pickup tube, Improved Racing oil baffle, and crank scraper.
Aries the car is on stands so theres not enough room to put the engine and trans in the car together correct? I was thinking remove the trans and let it sit on the floor. bolt engine in then put trany in.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 06-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i did tighten it in a crisscross pattern with the tool. the tool will still go all the way in.
did a cam, lifters, oil pickup tube, Improved Racing oil baffle, and crank scraper.
Aries the car is on stands so theres not enough room to put the engine and trans in the car together correct? I was thinking remove the trans and let it sit on the floor. bolt engine in then put trany in.
Did you try to turn the crank while trying to stab it? Ever so slightly of course

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
JCunningham

no but i thing the splines would have been in
Old 06-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
if you have the clutch disc right ,then you twist right and left and up and down jiggling it while pushing it in with the trans out of gear. .
Old 06-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
if you have the clutch disc right ,then you twist right and left and up and down jiggling it while pushing it in with the trans out of gear. .
That too...all I can think of

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
some splines I have done on some different vehicle will have barely noticeable little welds in between a set of the splines so that a shaft will only go in in one position.......I would carefully look if your trying, but of course you if this is able..... to drop the drive shaft, I never put a engine in without removing the drive shaft then fitting it in last.?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
JCunningham

im pretty sure the splines are all the same. cant get to it again until monday
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #12
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
im pretty sure the splines are all the same. cant get to it again until monday
Are you trying to drop the long block in? Or are you installing the heads and dressing in the car? You may be able to man handle it easier with just the short block

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
JCunningham

long block
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #14
JCunningham

I put a Monster Billet bearing support in. I was thinking should i open the remote bleeder. there's nothing but air in the slave.