Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
Shelby GT500 Hurst Challenger Camaro ?????

Times are very close to what they were in the 60's today only better. The new muscle cars have the best of everything as far as breaking, powertrains, handling and of course looks. It scares me that Ford has the Shelby that has been hugly sucessful. Dodge has the Challenger SRT that has been kicking butt since it came out, and now the special edition Challenger Hurst supercharged edition comming out at SEMA 2008. GM/Chevrolet has not even delivered one new Camaro yet. The Z28 program has been "Canceled" acording to Camaro brand manager. Once again we are behind the eight ball! I have had two or three posts removed my the moderator due to my posts regarding the Z28 being dead. I have owned over thirty Camaro's in my life and would like nothing more than to see a new Camaro named Z/28 or 1LE or ZL1 as long as the power is there to back it up! For the fist time in my life I may have to switch sides and buy a Z06 Corvette because GM has dropped the ball on the Camaro! I have never been a huge Corvette fan but it looks like I need a Corvette to play with the big boys. They pony wars were Mustang VS Camaro, Challenger, Firebird RIP. "Not Corvette". Great job Chevrolet on having a car that will compete with the big dogs!
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
the srt challanger is going to be direct competitor with the ss camaro

and the ss is much cheaper. we need to make a profit (gm as a whole) before we can spend more money on a faster one.

doing it aftermarket makes people not expect it when you pull up on side of them.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
Times are very close to what they were in the 60's today only better. The new muscle cars have the best of everything as far as breaking, powertrains, handling and of course looks. It scares me that Ford has the Shelby that has been hugly sucessful. Dodge has the Challenger SRT that has been kicking butt since it came out, and now the special edition Challenger Hurst supercharged edition comming out at SEMA 2008. GM/Chevrolet has not even delivered one new Camaro yet. The Z28 program has been "Canceled" acording to Camaro brand manager. Once again we are behind the eight ball! I have had two or three posts removed my the moderator due to my posts regarding the Z28 being dead. I have owned over thirty Camaro's in my life and would like nothing more than to see a new Camaro named Z/28 or 1LE or ZL1 as long as the power is there to back it up! For the fist time in my life I may have to switch sides and buy a Z06 Corvette because GM has dropped the ball on the Camaro! I have never been a huge Corvette fan but it looks like I need a Corvette to play with the big boys. They pony wars were Mustang VS Camaro, Challenger, Firebird RIP. "Not Corvette". Great job Chevrolet on having a car that will compete with the big dogs!
She ain't dead yet Maybe in lymbo for the time being, but not dead. 'Father has spoken on this and at this point, it's the best information we have. Don't get too worried until he says otherwise There are a lot of people who feel like you do, and I think GM knows this, so I think we still have a chance.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Worry not my friend.

The SRT8 Chally is SLOWER than the SS.

The Shelby is marked up to high hell and overweight. The least you can get a GT500 nowadays is 40k+. so take the SS (which is something like .1-.2 slower anyways) and put that $$ difference into upgrades, and the SS is going to be the best car in any comparison.

Thats the greatest thing about the SS. STOCK its fast enough to hang with anyone, but with all the money you saved buying the car, you'll easily rip any shelby or STR8 apart, for the same price as it would have taken to buy one of those in the first place.

The Camaro is going to handle the best, ride the best, and be the fastest most agile out of the group. imagine what it will do, when you start feeding her steriods.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
Worry not my friend.

The Shelby is marked up to high hell and overweight. The least you can get a GT500 nowadays is 40k+. so take the SS (which is something like .1-.2 slower anyways) and put that $$ difference into upgrades, and the SS is going to be the best car in any comparison.

Thats the greatest thing about the SS. STOCK its fast enough to hang with anyone, but with all the money you saved buying the car, you'll easily rip any shelby or STR8 apart, for the same price as it would have taken to buy one of those in the first place.

The Camaro is going to handle the best, ride the best, and be the fastest most agile out of the group. imagine what it will do, when you start feeding her steriods.
Great points! Heck, if you make those changes, I'm sure that mod'd SS will keep up with future Chally' and 'Stang updated models. I'm sure the Mopar guys aren't going to take the SS lightly for very long...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
IROCZJEFF

Challenger VS Mustang VS Camaro

I keep going back in my memory bank to 1993 when the camaro was 275 HP then in 1994 the car 285 HP. In 1996 the SS came out with 305 HP. I wish GM would grab the bull by the horns and come out with the big motor before all the tree hugger's step in and Obama kills the HP wars! Before we know it Obama will have us all driving Toyota's. These cars are not going to last with 500 plus HP! They didn't in the 60's and they will not last now! My point is that what was once the big three is all present and ready to play ball in it's final round with the exception of one. It's forth quarter and long and the Camaro is down by a field goal. Lets get it together GM! IROCZJEFF
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
Worry not my friend.

Yes the ss is faster than the srt 8...but it is going to have loads of trouble with the gt500 which by the way is at msrp now. And with a quick pulley swap will get alot of hp increased so The money saved which will probably be only 3-4k between a fully loaded ss and gt500 isnt going to suffice. 10k maybe but I doubt it.That is if it is 30k which I doubt due to the g8 pricing.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Great points! Heck, if you make those changes, I'm sure that mod'd SS will keep up with future Chally' and 'Stang updated models. I'm sure the Mopar guys aren't going to take the SS lightly for very long...
I dont take the SS lightly at all. Hopefully any doubts that chrysler had of coming out with the 6.4 is gone and we will see it in 2010.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
IROCZJEFF

Aftermarket Parts Camaro

Aftermarket parts are great, but I would like to have something out of the box with power. Gm used SLP in the 90's and 00's to make power where power was needed. I would be ok with a Z/28 edition SLP car or a K-tech, Mallett Camaro? This tread has been great! You guy and or girls have great comments. IROCZJEFF
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Yes the ss is faster than the srt 8...but it is going to have loads of trouble with the gt500 which by the way is at msrp now. And with a quick pulley swap will get alot of hp increased so The money saved which will probably be only 3-4k between a fully loaded ss and gt500 isnt going to suffice. 10k maybe but I doubt it.That is if it is 30k which I doubt due to the g8 pricing.
A. they sell for msrp? where do you live? Mexico?

B. Quick pulley swap.... did you hear what happens to an LS3 with a Cam and tune?

C. THE MSRP OF A SHELBY GT500 IS $42,825. So lets say in a perfect (non-existant) world, where you could actually buy a shelby for MSRP (ha) you'd save... +-12,000.

twelve thousand? yea thats a real toss up for me...
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Does anybody know how rediculously fast a GT500 priced camaro would be...I bet it's pretty damn fast... Listen to congoman, he is thinkin the right way.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Camaro is the official car of the Sema show... No worries about seeing cool Camaros there.
http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDeta...ontentID=59804

The Challenger is a re-bodied Charager, its an old platform. The Camaro is all new from the ground up. Thats why it 'taking longer' to get out, GM isn't just procrastinating.

Even the early reviews of the V6 Camaro comment how its better than the Challenger and the Mustang in almost every way.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
IROCZJEFF

Aftermarket parts on a LS3

I was talking with one of the Mallett brothers the other day from www.mallettcars.com and they said that they have had to replace a number of LS3 motors they installed in there Solstice V8 cars. They said that the LS3 motors are terrible. Mallett's went back to LS2 power plants in there Mallett powered Solstices. They are planning on doing the new Camaro and possible LS7 converstions!!! That would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
Camaro is the official car of the Sema show... No worries about seeing cool Camaros there.
http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDeta...ontentID=59804

The Challenger is a re-bodied Charager, its an old platform. The Camaro is all new from the ground up. Thats why it 'taking longer' to get out, GM isn't just procrastinating.

Even the early reviews of the V6 Camaro comment how its better than the Challenger and the Mustang in almost every way.
Ummm the old challengers were re bodied chargers too, what is your point.

Old platform? If you think a 3-4 ear old platform is old, then what is the zeta platform ? OLD.

the v6 is better than the challenger and v6 explorer mustang but I really could care less about the v6 all of the chrysler engines out now are re-used engines wait till 2010. chrysler knows what they are doing.