Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Evo IV

Had my first run tonight. 1600 miles on the car so I opened it up. An EVO got on the side of me and started spooling up his turbo. We came around a bend and he got the hit. I started to pull on him but was not happy with my performance. I can't wait for the headers, VMax and tune next week.

Irritated am I.
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
I been wanting to test my Turbo kit against an Evo or STI
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
I been wanting to test my Turbo kit against an Evo or STI
You'd kill em. If I had more guts I would have passed him, we were just going faster than was wise if ya know what I mean.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
You'd kill em. If I had more guts I would have passed him, we were just going faster than was wise if ya know what I mean.

Couple months ago I was only way to Vegas. I took the Pearlblossom Highway and this black fixed mustang GT comes out a street into the route I was going and tried to race me. Ofcourse not knowing my car was turbo. And them I dropped gear and boom let the spooling behind. I got next to him and he gave me the face like " Wtf is going on!!!" And it drive pass him like nothing his gf just smiled
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Couple months ago I was only way to Vegas. I took the Pearlblossom Highway and this black fixed mustang GT comes out a street into the route I was going and tried to race me. Ofcourse not knowing my car was turbo. And them I dropped gear and boom let the spooling behind. I got next to him and he gave me the face like " Wtf is going on!!!" And it drive pass him like nothing his gf just smiled
Haha,nice
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
ibftl
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
1LE801 - The EVO IV never came to the US. The US market has only seen VIII and above. Was it angular, or was it the newer "chopped nose" style? The only way to really tell the difference (besides badging) between an EVO VIII and IX externally is that the IX has two oval shaped brake vent ducts in the front bumper where the VIII does not (pic attached of mine).

The EVO VIII out of the box has horrible turbo lag and a base model WRX would rival it. The IX on the other hand had variable timing, and a turbo modification (larger hot side with improved bearings) bringing it to full boost quickly. My IX ran 12.9 all day long, stock and can very easily out top a stock geared Camaro SS. 60 times were close to 5.0 in the VIII and as low as 4.4 in the IX, and back up to 5.0 in the X. The EVO X added several hundred lbs curb weight, and went back to being a very lagged setup.

Their times of course vary based on driver skill as always, and the EVO is one of the hardest cars to launch properly. After owning one for 6 years, what I can say is definitely know how to distinguish between them because the very uncommon IX is a different animal to the rest. Good kill regardless.
Attached Images

DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
1LE801 -
Their times of course vary based on driver skill as always, and the EVO is one of the hardest cars to launch properly.
Have to disagree.....In my VIII (with stock IX turbo) I ran 1.5 - 1.7 60fts all day at the track multiple times on crummy Toyo Proxes 4 all season tires (255/40/17). Best run was 11.3 @ 122 with only 380whp (Mustang dyno) The only problem with launching in an Evo is how long the stock clutch will last.

The 1LE is waaay harder to launch with the 285/35/20 Goodyear G2s as they have a stiff sidewall..

EDIT: Couldn't find my PB time slips, but here is a 1.6 and an 1.7 60...That car was no joke out of the hole.

Video is from 2 year earlier than the time slips on the stock turbo and making about about 320whp....still came out of the hole hard.

-Matt
Attached Images

Last edited by Dropspeed; 02-17-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
1LE801
"Lohla"

I was only behind him at a light for a few seconds. I want to say it said IX but couldn't promise that. It had the name in fairly large letters a crossed the trunk if that helps.....

I wouldn't even call it a kill, I try to be realistic. I was gaining on him but after he got the jump, I wasn't making up ground as quickly as I'd like to have been. I would have gotten past him but in my estimation we would have been doing speeds over 135 before my nose was in front.

My car has only a Roto-fab and muffler delete at present. Having said that, I'm impressed with how quick his car was. I'm certain after reading your post that it wasn't a IV. I used to smoke WRX's in my 06 Cobalt SS so I know this car last night was much quicker than that
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
1LE801
"Lohla"

A couple more things to mention; We were on the freeway and started our run in a pretty tight turn as it was starting to straighten out. It was late and no one was around. No animals were harmed.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
I was only behind him at a light for a few seconds. I want to say it said IX but couldn't promise that. It had the name in fairly large letters a crossed the trunk if that helps.....

I wouldn't even call it a kill, I try to be realistic. I was gaining on him but after he got the jump, I wasn't making up ground as quickly as I'd like to have been. I would have gotten past him but in my estimation we would have been doing speeds over 135 before my nose was in front.

My car has only a Roto-fab and muffler delete at present. Having said that, I'm impressed with how quick his car was. I'm certain after reading your post that it wasn't a IV. I used to smoke WRX's in my 06 Cobalt SS so I know this car last night was much quicker than that
Stock for stock the cars will run the same 1/4 with a good driver: I ran a 12.99 bone stock in both my 1LE and my Evo....From a roll the evo is more explosive than the Camaro and the Camaro weighs 500-600lbs more. If you run them out the Camaro should pass the Evo when it starts gaining speed.....but you need triple digits and a good stretch of road.

-Matt
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Stock for stock the cars will run the same 1/4 with a good driver: I ran a 12.99 bone stock in both my 1LE and my Evo....From a roll the evo is more explosive than the Camaro and the Camaro weighs 500-600lbs more. If you run them out the Camaro should pass the Evo when it starts gaining speed.....but you need triple digits and a good stretch of road.

-Matt
Sounds about like what I experienced
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
There are some incredibly quick built Evo's out there. Totally different animal from stock.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
As with anything - money can make it fast. But stock to stock, it's a driver's race from a dig. On a roll, I say 1LE easily.

Dropspeed - I guess I should revise my statement to "The EVO is one of the hardest vehicles to launch right with the stock clutch." Reason I'd say that is because it's so soft out of the box because they don't want drivers destroying the $9000 transmission and would rather watch a $1000 clutch pack burn up. If you let it out too quick, you bog thanks to AWD and sticky tires. If you let it out too slow, you smoke the clutch. Very picky about being at the right RPM to match it. It's gotta be on that sweet spot and then magical things happen.

On a roll stock to stock I'd give it over to the Camaro though. EVO gets such a good 1/4 because of the massive launch. You've gotta tune it and open the exhaust, and cam it to really make it scream.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote