Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Instrument Panel LED's?

I have searched far and wide and I can't find the exact LED type used in the instrument panel. I took my dash apart today and the LED's used are very small They area a SMD PLCC2 I believe but the size eludes me. I am looking to replace them all with blue, not Ice blue but blue blue like the other LED accent lights. Does anyone know the type of light or size exactly?

The closest I could find are these.

But these are square the ones in the dash that I saw were rectangular with a green circle in the middle.

Or perhaps it's one of these four sizes 1206, 0805, 0603 and 0402 SMD's. I'm thinking 0805 or 0603? Does anyone know? Have a wiring diagram that would tell us what size?

Last edited by SummoneR; 04-19-2010 at 04:45 AM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Wish I had the answer for you :(. I have on idea.
That is a mod I was thinking about and would love to do. By the looks of them leds it bight be over my head though :(.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
SummoneR
Paul

Thanks for the reply SNV!

Yeah they are really small. I am going to attempt it on my FJ that uses PLCC2 which are a little bigger. These are so small and the electronics on the boards are so tight in the Camaro it could be risky trying to do it. I just want the foot well lighting and the dome LED's all to match with the dash but the "ICE BLUE" LED's are non existent, why did GM use that color rather than true blue beats me, plus the color they used can't be found anywhere else in nature LOL. IT shouldn't be this difficult to find a solution haa.

Thanks again for the reply, I hope someone else knows the answer or knows where I can get "ICE BLUE" in bulk.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Thanks for the reply SNV!

Yeah they are really small. I am going to attempt it on my FJ that uses PLCC2 which are a little bigger. These are so small and the electronics on the boards are so tight in the Camaro it could be risky trying to do it. I just want the foot well lighting and the dome LED's all to match with the dash but the "ICE BLUE" LED's are non existent, why did GM use that color rather than true blue beats me, plus the color they used can't be found anywhere else in nature LOL. IT shouldn't be this difficult to find a solution haa.

Thanks again for the reply, I hope someone else knows the answer or knows where I can get "ICE BLUE" in bulk.
I've tried to find Ice blue. I can't quite get it. I think the 505NM LED's would do it, but they are more green than blue.

I haven't tried the 507nm to see if they would match.

I have a 470nm golden dragon plus LED that is a sweet color, but not quite ice blue. So maybe we are looking at 500nm.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
SummoneR
Paul

skuttduck I'm not following the 505nm, when I google it I get
http://www.ledtronics.com/products/P...x?WP=C240K1853
which is the LED size within a 5mm format?

this page shows the SMD sizes available.
http://led.linear1.org/surface-mount-leds/

Some ICE BLUE or BLUE/GREEN PLCC2 would be great to replace the AAC SMD's on their dome. But then the blue in my Radar wont match, that's why I'd prefer to change the LED lights but DANG they are tiny.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
skuttduck I'm not following the 505nm, when I google it I get
http://www.ledtronics.com/products/P...x?WP=C240K1853
which is the LED size within a 5mm format?
I ordered some 505nm 5mm LED's to see if they would match the factory. I got them from mouser electronics and they didn't match. The 505nm is the light wavelength, and the color of the light.

Quote:
this page shows the SMD sizes available.
http://led.linear1.org/surface-mount-leds/

Some ICE BLUE or BLUE/GREEN PLCC2 would be great to replace the AAC SMD's on their dome. But then the blue in my Radar wont match, that's why I'd prefer to change the LED lights but DANG they are tiny.
Well good luck, and maybe one of those would work. I'm just mentioning that the 505nm LEDS I got were more green than blue.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Oh I know what you mean now I had read a lot more about it later and understand the regular blue like what I have is 470. Good to know 505 is too green so that means it's between 470 and 505.

Thanks for the input! this helps!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
HDRS
Fastest V6

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS 06 G6 GTP conv.
I also wanted to add lighting to match with the ice blue.You may want to check out my post at Cup Holder LED lighting . I also lit the foot wells and the door pockets and the door handles as well as the inside of the trunk. I will try to get some good pictures and post them. hear is one for now.
Attached Images

HDRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks awesome
Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
HDRS
Fastest V6

Sorry forgot to resize the pic.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
SummoneR
Paul

Yeah I have the AAC LED conversion for the Dome and trunk, I also placed some LEDs from OZNIUM.COM in my foot wells, I am planning on doing my cup holders door pockets and a few other areas, but before I went all out I wanted to figure our how to change the dash LED's or find ICE BLUE to accent the other areas... rather than have two different colors.

Your interior looks good BTW!

Last edited by SummoneR; 04-21-2010 at 04:17 PM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
im looking to replace with red. please let me know if you all find anything out
thanks
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
skuttduck

Quote:
Yeah I have the AAC LED conversion for the Dome and trunk, I also placed some LEDs from OZNIUM.COM in my foot wells, I am planning on doing my cup holders door pockets and a few other areas, but before I went all out I wanted to figure our how to change the dash LED's or find ICE BLUE to accent the other areas... rather than have two different colors.

Your interior looks good BTW!
You can merely open up the GM door lamps and use them. But at $18 a piece that could get costly.

Well let me tell you which 505NM is not the right one..

Optek Standard LED OVLGC0C6B9

There is a chance maybe another 505NM is correct.
Also could we do a white with a color lens to achieve it?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
HDRS
Fastest V6

What you may not understand is I made the blue LED's match the stock lights by covering over them with a transparent yellow tape this makes them match the stock Ice Blue lights perfect. If you look at the pictures you will notice that all the lights are the same color blue. In person all the lights look Ice Blue.

This is just one way I found to be easy and verry easy on the pocket!!
I dont know much about the lights that you are using and if you can cover them with the tape I used? But if you go with changing the stock LED's you must like a challeng.
I like that in a person by the wayAlso how would you change the light pipe on the doors?If you think I can be any help let me know and good luck and enjoy the ride