Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Unhappy S.O.S - 2010 camaro warranty help

I'm mechanically challenged so any help would be appreciated. I took my Camaro into my local Chevy dealer because my engine light came on. I received the following diagnosis.

PERFORM ENGINE DIAGNOSIS, FOUND CODE P0449 PO455.
NEED TO REMOVE DRIVE SHAFT AND EXHAUST.
R/R FUEL TANK AND REPLACE EVAP VENT CANISTER,
SOLENOID AND HARNESS.
$1653.76

PERFORM FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE, CLEAN THROTTLE BODY AND UPPER AIR INTAKE. FLUSH FUEL INJECTORS AND PERFORM LOF $360.00

The dealer said nothing is under warranty. I have 69,654 miles and the bumper to bumper has expired.

I cant' find my warranty info for my 2010 Camaro but I went on the Chevy website and found the 2014 warranty.

There's an Emission Control Systems Warranty section. Which is supposed to be for 70K miles for some parts, and 80K miles for a subset of those parts.

And under the parts list are the following:
Evaporative Emission Control
System (Gasoline Engines)
Canister
Canister Solenoid and Valve
Fuel Feed and Return Pipes and
Hoses
Fuel Filler Cap
Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Limiter Vent Valve
Fuel Tank(s) *
Fuel Tank Filler Pipe (with restrictor)
Fuel Tank Vacuum or Pressure
Sensor

Can anyone confirm that this is also in the 2010 Camaro warranty? And am I crazy for thinking that the repair should be covered if that is the case?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
fp115

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
How long have you had your car for? If it has been 5 years or more, it wouldn't be under warranty.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
you may need to go purchase a third party warranty that will cover
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
WxGawd
WxGawd

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro w/RS Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to WxGawd
I had the same code last month. The 2010 warranty does not cover this work. BTW I only paid $950 to have mine repaired. Plus the induction cleaning is not required to correct this CEL code. Your dealer is taking advantage of you. Get another estimate from another dealer. And yes they have to drop the exhaust system and rear end assembly to get to this part. Got photos to prove it.
Attached Images

WxGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
Looks like on federal emissions your warranty is expired. There are extended warranties on those items with * or **.
As I read further, if you have to pass a EPA approved inspection and maint program then those items listed are covered but it would have to fail the test first.

Here's the 2010 warranty book
https://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevro...o_warranty.pdf
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
camaromaybe
CamaroBaby

Drives: Silver 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briand069 View Post
Looks like on federal emissions your warranty is expired. There are extended warranties on those items with * or **.
As I read further, if you have to pass a EPA approved inspection and maint program then those items listed are covered but it would have to fail the test first.

Here's the 2010 warranty book
https://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevro...o_warranty.pdf
Thanks to all who responded! You guys never let me down.

I misunderstood what the asterisks were indicating as far as length of coverage. So I can see why they said it's not covered under warranty.

Thanks for sharing your experience WxGawd. $950 is pretty expensive but still much less than $1653! I'd hate to think the dealership is trying to squeeze me but reading how much you and some other's have mentioned paying, it definitely appears that way.

And thanks to Briand069 for sharing a copy of the warranty. I had left mine in my car when I dropped it at the dealer and couldn't find one online.

Last edited by camaromaybe; 08-27-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: extra thanks
camaromaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Beaukz28

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Keep in mind you may be in different areas with different labor rates. I have seen some dealers with $60 per hour rates and others with $160 per hour rates. May just be difference in your location. There is a recommended amount for parts mark up as well. But it is simply recommended. Some dealers charge less and some charge much more. I would always recommend the fuel clean at 30k mile intervals in our area. These new engines gum up like crazy and we fix a ton of carboned up misfiring engines. Different areas and states have different fuel quality laws. Some areas it may be less of a problem than others.
Beaukz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, emissions, evap, warranty