Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #211
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
wth? Even a plug/wiring harness is way to close to a pulley?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #212
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
I've been following the thread since the beginning and I'm first of all really happy it worked out for you but then I'm also happy you documented it all for people to read. It's good to see the good endings and not only the bad, after all GM doesn't only do bad things which it seems some are trying to say.

Last edited by Blast; 07-21-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #213
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Very cool congrats so the question is will you order the same color and combo or a different combo?

sspddmn- No hard feelings

Something tells me Scott got involved we just did not know about it
Pewter - non taken. We are all Camaro enthusiasts here and I was just trying to suggest the quickest solution that I have seen work.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #214
Stewie

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Congrats to both CamZL1 and GM for stepping up and doing the right thing. I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine at a local cruise nite last night. He is a retired GM Engine plant worker in St. Catharines and was very familiar with porosity in components. In his years with GM he has seen many cast components, not only blocks, but heads and crankshafts. He said is it a huge issue internally when they discover a porous component. Tracking, inspection and even holding all production engines that might have these components.
He was of the opinion as most of us do that GM should buy the car back.
As a collector nobody wants a ZL1 that has gone through as much as this one has.
After putting up with so much, I praise CAMZL1 for keeping his cool trhough all this.
I would have been ballisitic by now.
Also I am very happy to regain my faith in GM. That is was I would have expected from them.
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #215
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
CamZL1, Very happy for your outcome!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #216
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
The crate motor is installed, complete re-assembly should be done early next week, and given a thorough test procedure I may be back behind the wheel on Wednesday, which would be very nice.

As for the situation on the GM Corporate end, I went forward with reaching out to some people in GM with the power to force through these sorts of issues. I approached all of these communications, along with all of my updates here, in the most professional and level headed state that I think I could have.

I have been offered a buyback on my 2012 ZL1, with an immediate replacement 2013 ZL1 to be ordered within a few days. I was informed my 2013 re-order will be expedited in terms of production (Sorry for anyone who I cut in front of). When the 2012 is repaired, I will be able to drive it until the 2013 replacement vehicle is delivered to the dealership.

I thank everyone who has followed this issue and either put forward possible causes for the leak, I did forward the information to the service tech, and also those who wished me luck on the situation. Hearing from the GM Engineer who contacted the dealership two days ago, this situation seems to be an isolated casting defect which I hope only affected #1526. I will keep updating the situation as I think some people are interested in the process.
Cool. Would u be so kind to post the VIN, assuming the car gets resold, so that future owners would have the history?
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #217
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
This is great news CAM ZL1, for me this has rebuilt some of my confidence in GM. I had a similar situation with my 83 Z28 and GM would not consider replacing my car. GM did the right thing and I know you are relieved. Congratulations! Now I need to just pull the trigger and buy my ZL1...
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #218
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Congtats Cam!

The "new" GM just showed their stuff.

Good for you and hats off to GM for maxing out the response to a customer service issue.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #219
cosmoZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 "Scarlett", 6 spd. Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
Congtats Cam!

Good for you and hats off to GM for maxing out the response to a customer service issue.
DITTO!!!!!
HUGE KUDOS TO CAM-ZL1!!! Very proud of you for handling yourself in the utmost of restraint. "Doing the right thing." Couldn't even write in this thread for all the crap being thrown out there "On how you need to handle it" Lawyers, lawsuits, threats, whatever else that came along. You remained calm and allowed the system to work the way it should. yes it sucked, how couldn't it? But now you can feel even better about the way GM handled your case. Now I'm not saying they are perfect, and may act differently in another instance, but here you can see it's not always about the mighty buck. Congrats again Cam-ZL1!! You'll love the 2013 too!!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #220
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
The crate motor is installed, complete re-assembly should be done early next week, and given a thorough test procedure I may be back behind the wheel on Wednesday, which would be very nice.

As for the situation on the GM Corporate end, I went forward with reaching out to some people in GM with the power to force through these sorts of issues. I approached all of these communications, along with all of my updates here, in the most professional and level headed state that I think I could have.

I have been offered a buyback on my 2012 ZL1, with an immediate replacement 2013 ZL1 to be ordered within a few days. I was informed my 2013 re-order will be expedited in terms of production (Sorry for anyone who I cut in front of). When the 2012 is repaired, I will be able to drive it until the 2013 replacement vehicle is delivered to the dealership.

I thank everyone who has followed this issue and either put forward possible causes for the leak, I did forward the information to the service tech, and also those who wished me luck on the situation. Hearing from the GM Engineer who contacted the dealership two days ago, this situation seems to be an isolated casting defect which I hope only affected #1526. I will keep updating the situation as I think some people are interested in the process.

Very heartening to see that GM is doing the right thing. Good for you Cam.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #221
vetehead

Drives: 2011 SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:

I'm glad for you .....You more than deserve this.Hopefully you can get some good seat time in the 12 while you are waiting for your 13!!

Keep tabs on the 12 after repair.....I got 30k I will offer them for it......LOL ......Good luck brother!!!

Ron
vetehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #222
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
Congtats Cam!

Old or New; GM stood behind their product like they should and advertise (the Love it or Return it campaign going on right now). With that said GM Customer Service has helped me above and beyond warranty work over the years with different vehicles which is one reason I keep buying GM vehicles. I know it sounds fanboy, but it's true.

I am somewhat suprised by the block porosity issue. I know there were some issues with the early LS3 and L92 blocks, but were eventually fixed. Regardless, I'm glad this worked out in favorable manner.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #223
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Someone should pressurize the oil circuit while the engine is out to see where it is actually coming out. I doubt it's that corner area, I don't think thats an area of pressurized oil. I believe there would be coolant behind that area.

The bulletin for block porosity on LS V8s deals with the sealing surface under that rear cover, right at the top where there is a high pressure crossover oil port above the camshaft. The fix is to remove the rear cover, RTV the sealing surface, then install a new cover. I've done several of those, and none needed a new block. The bulletin shows what that surface will look like if there is porosity (a bunch of random holes in the sealing surface), and the result will be oil all over the rear cover, pan, clutch...

See if they will pop that rear cover off and get a pic of the sealing surface around the oil crossover ports above the camshaft. If there is porosity there, it's an easy RTV fix.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #224
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
As people trying to imagine what we would have done in a particular situation, only hindsight is certain.
In my view, CAM ZL1 is a class act. And yes, for me, my thought is in fact based upon hindsight, however for him, when he was in the moment(s), it was not. That's what gets me to what I think.
For those who may have helped him, many thanks.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1