Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #85
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
Nice tuning they did on that! kind of ironic an automatic shifting gears lol
but I am sure it's more comfty than a manual. just can't beat a manual for fun though!
I have a 2SS now, and if u use competetive performance mode and trac off it will surprise you, and with the new tranny improvements,from what i hear [ were really gonna like this auto ] should be very exciting....I can't wait to get my hands on it sitting beside a M..Turd. Ops did I say that..
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #86
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
Sorry but i still believe that the auto is only going to be quicker for the average driver !I bet a good driver with a 6 spped is still going to be quicker
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #87
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'd like to see a firmware update for the '10s. Shift response is my only beef with the current setup...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #88
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Heres a quote from a magazine last year around October... forget which one...but it is on target.

Likewise, he stressed that the optional six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic gearbox is “not for poseurs who don't know how to shift.” As a general rule, hard-core enthusiasts will choose the six-speed Tremec manual transmission, but at least the auto 'box is built for performance, with three different driving modes including a manual setting that only shifts when a driver commands. Automatic upshifts will not occur even at redline, and Oppenheiser promised that it will select and hold the appropriate low gear into corners to match the manual-equipped ZL1's performance.

“Contrary to what we could have done [by taking the easy way out with a simple, off-the-shelf transmission], the automatic is not a compromise,” he said. “We spent a lot of time working on it for the track.”

I also read somewhere that in driving mode 1 & 2 the auto starts out in 2nd. Anybody else know about that?
"The ZL1’s automatic is a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed with additional clutch plates, a strengthened output shaft, and the extra planetary pinion gears needed to ensure survival in this trying assignment. The transmission is programmed with three operating modes. The normal Drive mode uses second-gear starts, quick upshifts in the interests of fuel economy, and temporary manual operation when a down-shift button is tapped or the lever is moved. The Sport mode ups the ante with first-gear starts, more aggressive gear changes, and shifts delayed to higher rpm. In Manual mode, there are no shifts until the driver commands one; gear changes are as fast as possible for maximum acceleration."
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #89
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieSVT View Post
Sorry but i still believe that the auto is only going to be quicker for the average driver !I bet a good driver with a 6 spped is still going to be quicker
Maybe....but the number of people who can really shift is dwarfed by the number who think they can.

See it at the track all the time. Some guy in a Z06 will walk around with his chest out blabbing about how he owns a 10 sec car. Then go rip off a few mid 12's,park it,and stand there scratching his head wondering what's wrong with his car.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Blue Maro Demon

Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
ZL1 Automatic Tap Shift Video!

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here you go!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #91
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet but here you go!

Thanks for the video, Blue'

Dragon' had a link in his initial post

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #92
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks for the video, Blue'

Dragon' had a link in his initial post
I'd like to see the best manual driver out shift that besides the fact you never disengage the drivetrain by putting in the clutch
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #93
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have always felt a properly built auto is better for the quarter mile. I have yet to drive one yet that I like as well on a road course.

That upshift response in the video looked good. Would like to see a vid on the track with up and downshifts. That is where the feel awkward to me.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #94
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I have driven many manuals and here are my thoughts, putting aside the "fun factor" as that is a matter of personal preference, when driving an auto, especially with tap shift and the two hands and feet god gave you, you have the ultimate control. You can brake, accelerate ,shift and steer simotaneously without ever disengaging your drivetrain, this disengaging and re-ingaging your drivetrain is what gives the undesireable charecteristics when shifting in corners. These charecteristics although not completely eliminated, are drastically reduced allowing precise shifting and control.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #95
SilentSonic

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I'd like to see a firmware update for the '10s. Shift response is my only beef with the current setup...
Have you checked out the Jannetty tune? It does wonders for shift response (plus a whole lot more)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #96
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
"The ZL1’s automatic is a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed with additional clutch plates, a strengthened output shaft, and the extra planetary pinion gears needed to ensure survival in this trying assignment. The transmission is programmed with three operating modes. The normal Drive mode uses second-gear starts, quick upshifts in the interests of fuel economy, and temporary manual operation when a down-shift button is tapped or the lever is moved. The Sport mode ups the ante with first-gear starts, more aggressive gear changes, and shifts delayed to higher rpm. In Manual mode, there are no shifts until the driver commands one; gear changes are as fast as possible for maximum acceleration."

I think this is a quote from a source from some time ago before more specific details have been revealed.. or designs fully finalized.. kind of like when we just knew the car would have >550 HP.... do you have your source and time by any chance? I would think in Sport Mode in D, you will have 1st gear.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #97
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I think this is a quote from a source from some time ago before more specific details have been revealed.. or designs fully finalized.. kind of like when we just knew the car would have >550 HP.... do you have your source and time by any chance? I would think in Sport Mode in D, you will have 1st gear.
The source was from one of the "sticky" threads above. I'll look later. The Camaro Manual on page 9-20 Driving and Operating mentions 2nd gear starts only in the "D" mode. After the first start in that mode.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #98
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
Cool video, my 2011 SS rental was a bit slow on the tap shift but this seems to be far more improved.

I wonder how the ZL1 will do when someone installs a torque converter in it for the 1st time... those CTS-V guys are saying the all get AT least a .5 decrease in there 1/4 mile times. When I do order mine, I am going with the auto for sure!

a smaller pulley change will happen as well, har har har....
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote