Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
In fact, every new Camaro is tested before leaving the factory for water integrity. So, for you purists who say your car's never been in the rain, um, yes it has.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
In fact, every new Camaro is tested before leaving the factory for water integrity. So, for you purists who say your car's never been in the rain, um, yes it has.

John B.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the reason I dont drive it in the rain is because it hydroplanes real easy and I can hear all the sand on the road blasting the sides of it. around here you need a truck in the weather.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
dixonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
the reason I dont drive it in the rain is because it hydroplanes real easy and I can hear all the sand on the road blasting the sides of it. around here you need a truck in the weather.
I bought the ZL1 style front rock guards to keep the quarter panels clean.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I have driven my car in down pores! This car does not hydro plane very easy, I don't get that statement at all! It's rear wheel drive and will slide out under to much throttle, that is not hydro planing... That's bad driving.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
dixonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
I have driven my car in down pores! This car does not hydro plane very easy, I don't get that statement at all! It's rear wheel drive and will slide out under to much throttle, that is not hydro planing... That's bad driving.
I don't have experience with downpours yet as rain season is still not here yet. I am not sure how the Good Years will handle it but the small shower I have been through has been fine.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #35
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
compared to a truck it does. hydroplaning is when your wheels ride on top of the water on the road. You loose steering control. It has nothing to do with spinning the wheels. hydroplaning has nothing to do with the driver except the speed you drive at. put wide tires on any vehicle and it will hydroplane easier then the same vehicle with narrower tires. I dont know about your roads but if we get a down poor around here this camaro isnt going over 45 with out hydroplaning.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Around town I short shift and/or skip gears.Some times 2,3,4 at a time to keep the Rs low.But alone on a country road with my music on,tach always over 3K.But on the road course, hello red line!
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #37
eviltech72

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS package
I like the way 6800rpm feels.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #38
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
The Camaro IS a 4 speed. The OD gears are for getting gas mileage on a road trip.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #39
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

I drive it easy and shift at 2000 RPM or under in most instances. Around 1970, I ripped a Hurst Competition Plus shifter out of the floorboard of a 1966 Chevelle, so I can be hard on equipment.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #40
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

I shift the same as making a shot in a $20,000 foosball tournament.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #41
PDP_SS

Drives: 2013 SS
After the cam it changed it all I used to drive like a paw paw but know it seems you have to drive more "aggressive" is what I call it and as far as rain goes everytime it rain I feel like I'm in a nightmare idk if it just me or 315's out back catching all the water but it's like drivin on ice with this thing when it's wet

455RWHP
PDP_SS is offline   Reply With Quote