Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
GM Certified Preowned Warranty question

Just got a 2012 2ss convertible with 11k miles earlier this week. Love it but noticed today when running through the touchless that the right passenger side leaked water. The touchless is pretty low power. Anyone know if this would be covered and what the issue might be?
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
The GM bumper to bumper warranty on new cars is 3 years or 36K miles whichever comes first, including the tires. The Certification extends the original warranty for another 12 months / 12K miles, so 4 years/48K from the original date when purchased brand new. Unless the car has already exceeded the 3/36, in which case the b2b warranty would be 12/12 from the date you purchased the car.

What's covered is workmanship and defects. So if the car leaks due to a defect or poor workmanship, yes you would be covered. If it's wear and tear, no you would not be covered. The only way a leak would not be covered is if you altered the vehicle in some way, ie, lambo doors or removed and/or replaced the door seals. So yes, you should have coverage for water leaks.

BTW, for the sake of reference, you also get the remainder of the 5 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty, plus 5/100 roadside & courtesy transportation, 2 years / 30K miles of prepaid maintenance (oil & filter changes, tire rotations, muli-point inspections), a 3 day/150 mile satisfaction guaruntee, if equipped you also get a 3 month trial to Onstar and Sirius/XM.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I looked at a brand new Pontiac G5 in October 2009, but didn't buy it.
I looked at this same car , used,at another dealer, in December 2010, and bought it. GM Certified. It was a trade in on a new GMC truck.

Somehow, the in-service date got bumped to 08/15/08 when it came time to draw up papers on the certification. Car had never been sold until 12/15/09.

Explaination : The In service date was the day that the car was put in the original dealers inventory, and not the day it was purchased by its first owner.
This was coming straight from GM, and not the dealership.
(The silver lining was I beat them up on price on a virtually new car with a "shaved" warranty)

The extra year never came into play, the bumper to bumper 3/36 is long gone, and the 100k powertrain warranty expired 2 days ago.

I gave the car to one of my sons, it still only has 36000 miles on it.

If you buy GM Certified, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND VERIFY DATES AND EXPIRATIONS> just my 2 cents based on my experience.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
The GM Certified Preowned Warranty DOES NOT cover everything that the 3/36 bumper to bumper covers.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
The GM Certified Preowned Warranty DOES NOT cover everything that the 3/36 bumper to bumper covers.
Yes, it does.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
MiracleAces

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Yes, it does.

No - it doesn't. There is not a single manufacturer's Certification warranty that covers the same items as the original manufacturer warranty. This includes, GM, BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc... Many people are led to believe so, but it is not true. Some certifications do come with a certain amount of complimentary service such as oil changes, but simply put a manufacturer cannot overcome the future repairs within the extended certification warranty period if they covered all the same items from the original warranty. Otherwise manufacturers would just increase the cost of their new cars by the cost of the certification (less than $300 not including repairs, in GM's case) and sell them with 4 year/48 month bumper to bumper warranties (or whatever the manufacturers warranty may be).

This is why some people chose to drop the certifications and buy separate extended warranties.

"Being persistant and never giving up may not always get the job done, but it just may annoy someone else enough to make it worth your while."
MiracleAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Read, and ye shall learn...

http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

...and you're both wrong. The 12/12 is an extension of the original warranty which covers the vehicle on workmanship and defeats.

You can chose to not believe it, and there is nothing I can post, or do to change that. Maybe you were lied to by a less than honest dealer that didn't want to cover a repair that should have been covered. I can only provide the proof that verifies what I am saying. You can find it at the Certified Used site.

http://www.gmcertified.com/

As per the site:

What's Included
Almost every part of our vehicles are covered under the 12-Month/12,000-Mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (excludes normal wear and maintenance items). See below for the list of exclusions.

What's Not Included
  • Tire damage or wear
  • Damage due to bedliners
  • Damage due to accident, misuse or alteration
  • Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion or objects striking the vehicle
  • Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing or other competition. (Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.)
  • Alteration or modification to the vehicle, including the body, chassis or components, after final assembly by Chevy, Buick or GMC.
  • Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
  • Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments, and/or aftermarket products
  • Damage due to insufficient or improper maintenance
  • Damage due to contaminated or poor-quality fuel
If you have something in writing that verifies your position please post it here.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
thiggin2

I will say a lot is still covered under the certified. But almost all trim items like visors, carpet, handles, bezels are not covered. Also transmitters, antennas, lamps, battery cables are other things that are not covered. I have a 20 page list of non-covered things.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
thiggin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
...and you're both wrong. The 12/12 is an extension of the original warranty which covers the vehicle on workmanship and defeats.

You can chose to not believe it, and there is nothing I can post, or do to change that. Maybe you were lied to by a less than honest dealer that didn't want to cover a repair that should have been covered. I can only provide the proof that verifies what I am saying. You can find it at the Certified Used site.

http://www.gmcertified.com/

As per the site:

What's Included
Almost every part of our vehicles are covered under the 12-Month/12,000-Mile1 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (excludes normal wear and maintenance items). See below for the list of exclusions.

What's Not Included
  • Tire damage or wear
  • Damage due to bedliners
  • Damage due to accident, misuse or alteration
  • Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion or objects striking the vehicle
  • Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing or other competition. (Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.)
  • Alteration or modification to the vehicle, including the body, chassis or components, after final assembly by Chevy, Buick or GMC.
  • Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
  • Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments, and/or aftermarket products
  • Damage due to insufficient or improper maintenance
  • Damage due to contaminated or poor-quality fuel
If you have something in writing that verifies your position please post it here.
Bumper-to-Bumper "Limited" Warranty
Old 08-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Yes, it is "limited", limited in the same fashion that the original warranty is limited. Workmanship and defects.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
thiggin2

Well all I can say is any GM dealer employee that has access to GlobalConnect can read the GM P&P's and agree with me. I can not and will not post them but you can think what you want, all I'm stating is if your remote or door handle breaks or your seat cover fades and you have a certified warranty and they decline to repair it under warranty don't be made at the dealer.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
MiracleAces

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe
Frank, that is the list of exclusions that causes damage that will not be covered. There is a list of parts that will not be covered as well. I've been selling GM Certified cars for over 5 years and there is paperwork that we make sure the buyer(s) understand and sign that has the list of parts not covered as well as the exclusion of warranty due to wear and tear. It's still a great warranty, but it's not the same.

"Being persistant and never giving up may not always get the job done, but it just may annoy someone else enough to make it worth your while."
MiracleAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
thiggin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleAces View Post
Frank, that is the list of exclusions that causes damage that will not be covered. There is a list of parts that will not be covered as well. I've been selling GM Certified cars for over 5 years and there is paperwork that we make sure the buyer(s) understand and sign that has the list of parts not covered as well as the exclusion of warranty due to wear and tear. It's still a great warranty, but it's not the same.