Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
odie23

Drives: Jeep
Dropped Spindles at SEMA?

I like the idea of 2 inch dropped spindles, and I have them on a car I own. DS allows you to keep the factory ride, shocks, and wheel alignments. I'm wondering if they'll be offered at this years SEMA event?
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/010-...into/index.asp

The next question is how to lower the rear? Generally, 2 inch rear lowering springs, or cutting the factory rear springs are used to bring the rear down. On short wheelbase vehicles the rear rides stiffer (that I can live with). I haven't seen any specifics on the Camaro suspension other than its being based on the Zeta platform, and reading its going to have an independent rear suspension.

Since lowering a car is popular I'm assuming other folks will be lowering their rides just a little, but don’t want to go through the expense of an air-ride type system (if that’s even going to be offered). Anyone hear yet?
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I would image that someone's gonna make em. Pretty common mod for most cars.

I'll be getting a set if they do.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I would image that someone's gonna make em. Pretty common mod for most cars.

I'll be getting a set if they do.

Same here, looking to drop about 1-1.5" to make the stance more aggressive. I have the Eibach kit om my '97 Z and the ride is a little harsher, but handles like it's on rails. ")
dvnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I do believe that just dropping the spindles was not a great idea on the 4th gens, but I could be wrong.

I think the proper way to lower the car is by getting shorter springs with a higher spring rate.

Also I don't think there was ever even a STRONG aftermarket spindle produced for the 4th gens, nothing that could take true Road Racing stress.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie23 View Post
I like the idea of 2 inch dropped spindles, and I have them on a car I own. DS allows you to keep the factory ride, shocks, and wheel alignments.

The next question is how to lower the rear? Generally, 2 inch rear lowering springs, or cutting the factory rear springs are used to bring the rear down. On short wheelbase vehicles the rear rides stiffer (that I can live with). I haven't seen any specifics on the Camaro suspension other than its being based on the Zeta platform, and reading its going to have an independent rear suspension.

Since lowering a car is popular I'm assuming other folks will be lowering their rides just a little, but don’t want to go through the expense of an air-ride type system (if that’s even going to be offered). Anyone hear yet?

please... please DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS

that is the stupidest and most unsafe way to lower a car.

buy lowering springs and revalved shocks. you need revalved shocks in order to compensate for the 1-2" of drop you are putting on the car. the stockers will wear out in about 500 miles if they are used with lowering springs.

and the way the shorter wheelbase vehicles feels stiffer is because you have a lighter vehicle, and the body doesnt flex as much to absorb some of the suspension flex

yes, we are getting IRS. and yes there will be aftermarket suspension available for it. the SS rear will be nearly identical to the ZR1 from what we have been told from GM. so if you check out aftermarket suspension for the vette, chances are you'll be able to find something for the camaro (if only the rear)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
odie23

CS23 I agree that cutting springs isn't the way to go, and you're right to remind folks of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

yes, we are getting IRS. and yes there will be aftermarket suspension available for it. the SS rear will be nearly identical to the ZR1 from what we have been told from GM. so if you check out aftermarket suspension for the vette, chances are you'll be able to find something for the camaro (if only the rear)
I think the Vette has a completely different IRS setup, one that, in conjunction with less mass of the car, is much stronger than what was in the GTO and what is in the G8.

I am also pretty sure that the Vette IRS has aluminum components too it.

What they did use from the ZR1 is the idea that asymmetrical half-shafts will hopefully prevent excessive wheel hop.

Also, Pedders has learned quite a bit from the G8 IRS already and they even have a full line up of bushings that will make the IRS feel more stable during cornering and hopefully mitigate wheel hop for the drag strip.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
odie23

I’ve read the Peddler’s thread. If I understand it they’ll offered four coil over shock springs, shocks, and adjustable spring perch adapters (generally some type of threaded design). I can see that being a plus when you’re looking for that perfect stance regardless of the tire sidewall ration. But those systems tend to be pricey.

Dropped spindles may not be cheap, but does save money by using the stock front springs and shocks, and it would probably ride like the GM engineers designed it to. Though I can see rear lowering springs/shocks giving the Camaro suspension engineers fits.
Still I bet it would be cheaper system than the coils/adjustable adapters/shocks set-up.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Im going to drop this bad boy 2 inches and i dont care how much it costs!!!
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I can tell you the suspension will have lots of room for improvement. Pedders already has springs/struts/ and adjustable coil overs. We also have all non compliant bushings, adjiustabel sway bars. The Camaro has a lot of body role, that might bother some.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
The Camaro has a lot of body role, that might bother some.

mike
dms
And how do you have such information? Have you got to drive one?

Will dampers with more rebound and sway bars improve this quite a bit?

My 1998 Z28 Camaro with 140K miles, stock springs and sway bars, and Koni single-adjustable shocks seems to have minimal body roll...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
And how do you have such information? Have you got to drive one?

Will dampers with more rebound and sway bars improve this quite a bit?

My 1998 Z28 Camaro with 140K miles, stock springs and sway bars, and Koni single-adjustable shocks seems to have minimal body roll...
I cannot go into details, but ai can tell you that we have major access into the entire ZETA platform design. AFter the Camaro is released, you will be able to understand why I cannot chat about it.

But the prove is in the roadtest!, We have about 50 or so G8s with TrackII systems, which actually has a longer wheel base and some advantages over the Camaro. Drive one of these rides, and you will immediately understand what I am talking about.

On the G8, which is the same platform as the Camaro, here is one of the many tests that I did pre/post test.

On a G8 GT, I took a OEM vehicle down a very safe, long road with divided white lines. The goal was to be able to keep the left front tires within the split white lines, and turn the steering wheel 90 degrees left/right as fast as I could. Doing this, I could get to 40-45 mph on the G8 GT. the limitations on this was the body role. I was turning so fast, that the body role did not set when I was in fact turning the opposite direction. Tires were squeeling really badly at the rear so I stoppped.

We installed the TrackII Pedders system, less sway bars. This is all the bushes, springs, shocks. We were able to get to 60mph. At 60mph, traction control was kicking in at the rear and throwing off the rythem, thus the safety aspect of the test was exceeded, therefore stopped. Now on the high end Camaro, the vehicles will be lower than the G8 and the tires will be splite configured and larger than G8. Time will tell. I can tell you a GTO rackII install can do the same test at over 70mph.

There are few poeple in the USA with more Zeta platform experience than me. Would be glad to share my experiences with all of you

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
yea....... i don't speak or read chinese. or japanese or whatever that is lol.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
but thanks.. i think lol.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote