Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
tyler
junior

Drives: ford 350
so i cancled my order on the rims from chevy

i just want to know if any body would know if a set of 22x9.5 inch rims would fit in the rear and a set of 20x8.5 rims would fit in the front of the camaro. i had orderd the black 21's from chevy but as i got to look at them it just wasnt working for me. So i was thinking about getting the foose nitrous legends. now of course i wasnt going to get them until i get the car but it would be nice to know if it would fit or not so i could plan on it.

Thanks for any input you might have.
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler View Post
i just want to know if any body would know if a set of 22x9.5 inch rims would fit in the rear and a set of 20x8.5 rims would fit in the front of the camaro. i had orderd the black 21's from chevy but as i got to look at them it just wasnt working for me. So i was thinking about getting the foose nitrous legends. now of course i wasnt going to get them until i get the car but it would be nice to know if it would fit or not so i could plan on it.

Tyler, there has been a lot of discussion about the rims, tires, spacing, offsets, etc. However, there hasn't been any firm confirmation about what will and won't fit on the car. It is clear that the 21s will, but anything beyond that is speculation.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Don't forget, clearance isn't the only concern. You have to make sure the larger wheels don't screw with the suspension geometry and the added unsprung weight doesn't adversely affect performance.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Don't forget, clearance isn't the only concern. You have to make sure the larger wheels don't screw with the suspension geometry and the added unsprung weight doesn't adversely affect performance.
If he is talking about putting on 22 I dont think he is too worried about performance.
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Sadly, true. Still, durability and safety things like avoiding bump steer should always be considered, even if you're going for show over go.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
tyler
junior

Drives: ford 350
have you seen the pictures with the 21 inch chevy rims on the sema pictures it looks like there is at least another inch of space to fit a 22 inch rim on it and i dont think a one inch size up will hurt the suspension and the tires on those rims are kinda big i plan on getting the lowes profile pirelli tires they make what do you think
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
have you seen the pictures with the 21 inch chevy rims on the sema pictures it looks like there is at least another inch of space to fit a 22 inch rim on it and i dont think a one inch size up will hurt the suspension and the tires on those rims are kinda big i plan on getting the lowes profile pirelli tires they make what do you think
because its only an Inch I think you should be good, but as it has already been stated were just guessing.
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
siliconewolfgang

Drives: 2004 Hummer H2
does anyone think the factory chrome $4600.00 21" wheels are worth it? Will they hold their value? Or is it better to get some basic wheels and then change them out?
siliconewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconewolfgang View Post
does anyone think the factory chrome $4600.00 21" wheels are worth it? Will they hold their value? Or is it better to get some basic wheels and then change them out?
With that kind of money your better off getting aftermarket IMO
Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
22s should be fine. There was another thread on here that somebody said that GM made enough room for a 24" wheel. The 21s arent worth it. You will be able to get an aftermarket set for alot cheaper and still have the stock set that came on the car. 21"s is an oddball size and not many tire companies sell 21" tires so when you have to replace tires, you would only have a few options and the best one would prolly be the tires that the dealer sells. I would say stick with the standard wheels and buy the aftermarket set in 22".
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post

I would just wait a bit and see what the market will produce. I am sure there will be all kinds of set-ups in a short period of time for the Camaro, or you could have a custom shop that could fit them to your car. There should be plenty of options to choose from.

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
tylermoore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
Quote:

I thought the camaro as long as it is a Rs or ss version they come with 20/8.5 infront and 20/9.5 out back. ANYONE?????
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
22s should be fine. There was another thread on here that somebody said that GM made enough room for a 24" wheel. The 21s arent worth it. You will be able to get an aftermarket set for alot cheaper and still have the stock set that came on the car. 21"s is an oddball size and not many tire companies sell 21" tires so when you have to replace tires, you would only have a few options and the best one would prolly be the tires that the dealer sells. I would say stick with the standard wheels and buy the aftermarket set in 22".
I ordered the 21s because I wanted to fill the wells up better and I have looked far and wide and I can't find any I like better. They'll be on the sticker as stock and you get to keep the stock rims and tires. I figure I can get a couple grand for them and use the cash to have my ghost stripes painted on.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermoore View Post
I thought the camaro as long as it is a Rs or ss version they come with 20/8.5 infront and 20/9.5 out back. ANYONE?????
I think it is 9 on the rear and 8 on the front.

edit: 9 on the rear and 8 on front is for the 20's, the 21's is 9.5 on the rear and 8.5 on the front!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote