Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
They make some awesome quality parts!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Rick@Metco

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
It's a Metco safety loop. Honestly, I think the design should be changed to put the loop further down. Doesn't seem like it would be very functional as is.
As shipped, the loop is configured for the original driveshaft. With the aftermarket shaft in your car, the front u-joint is moved farther back on the shaft. We have developed an extension for applications like yours that will re-position the hoop on the shaft so it is behind the front u-joint. This extension should be available this week and may be purchased separately.
1984 Monte Carlo SS (Rat-Powered)
Rick@Metco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@Metco View Post
As shipped, the loop is configured for the original driveshaft. With the aftermarket shaft in your car, the front u-joint is moved farther back on the shaft. We have developed an extension for applications like yours that will re-position the hoop on the shaft so it is behind the front u-joint. This extension should be available this week and may be purchased separately.
Good to hear. I'll have to get one.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Cool, I'll let guys know about that.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Nice writeup and congrats on the new GForce kit! Now go beat the hell out of it
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Quote:
Nice! I will look into this!
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #21
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Sorry to bring up a painfully memory, but what was the sound like with the defective DSS drive shaft?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
Cool, I'll let guys know about that.

Thanks
Chris

Will you pm me a price on this kit
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
Will you pm me a price on this kit
Good Choice!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
Sorry to bring up a painfully memory, but what was the sound like with the defective DSS drive shaft?
The first one messed up at the 2011 LS Fest. It was hitting the heat shield and I was getting a "whirling" noise. I doubt that's a word, but it's hard to explain. I sent it back to DSS. They told me they left a clip off and that's what caused it to mess up. They rebuilt that shaft, I put it back in and the noise was still there. However, this time the driveshaft wasn't hitting the heat shield. DSS sent me another aluminum shaft. The noise continued, so I realized it had to be either the trans or rear. Turns out, the rear was damaged at the same time the first driveshaft messed up. DSS claimed that even though the driveshaft was defective, hooks directly to the rear, and was wobbling, there's no way it could have damaged the rear. I took the car to the track with the 3rd driveshaft and it broke. DSS said it had a faulty weld. You can hear what that sounds like here.

After that, DSS sent me a carbon fiber shaft. This one definitely changed the sound of the rear issue, but obviously didn't fix it. Since they took no responsibility for the damage to the rear, I decided to purchase from Gforce.

2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
No f*ckin way! Damn.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
GFORCE1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
I had a drivetrain noise that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Turned out, it was indeed the rear end. I decided not to rebuild it, but instead replace it with something stronger. I strongly believe the issue was caused from my first defective DSS driveshaft. DSS claims there's no way the driveshaft could mess up the rear. I'm not an engineer, but I have to believe that when a driveshaft is so messed up that it's hitting the heat shield attached to the fuel tank, that could possibly cause damage to a part that is directly attached to the driveshaft. Since DSS refused to take responsibility and I have received two defective driveshafts from them, I decided to use another company.

I purchased a complete 9" kit from Gforce1320. I went with a Strange center section set up with their S-trac and 3.89 gears. The entire rear including axles and gears have a lifetime warranty.

Here's how the center section was shipped. Very nice way to pack it.

Here's a pic of the housing.

Center section before I painted it.

Just before installing the center section. Side note: the center section does not cover the entire housing, so you may want to rtv a little closer than I did to the inside edge.

One of the axles.

I was able to remove the stock rear by first taking apart everything needed on the passenger side to get the axle out. After that, I unbolted the center section, lowered it a bit, and was able to remove the driver side axle without taking everything apart. The new rear goes in with the axle stubs already attached. I put the driver side axle into the wheel hub before I raised the new rear into place.

This truly is a bolt in rear. No modifying was needed.

New one piece aluminum driveshaft from Dynotech.

Hidden slip yoke. My safety loop still fits.

While I'll was working on it, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to Pfadt toe rods and trailing arms.

And well, why do that without upgrading front and rear sway bars to the Pfadt sports? Oh, new adjustable end links too.

All buttoned up and ready to go.

This kit is awesome and very easy to install. However, the instructions that come with the kit don't go into much detail and there were no torque specs provided. I guess they spent more time making sure they had a badass product and assume anyone doing this themselves can figure it out.
How's your 9" kit doing? At Holley Fest you mentioned about boot on the driveshaft might have gotten burnt on the x-pipe? Let me know if you need us to take a look at anything.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #27
se7en

How do you like your GForce 9" compared to what was in it before? Ive had both in mine also and the GForce is so much better in quality and performance.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #28
GFORCE1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
How do you like your GForce 9" compared to what was in it before? Ive had both in mine also and the GForce is so much better in quality and performance.
He had a stock rear in the car I believe before putting our rear in.