Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
BlueberryZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
anyone runnning rb ceramic rotors

just checking to see if anyone is running these rotors on their cars ive just started doing road course racing and my biggest issue right now is brakes and im thinking of just going all out and gets these

https://racingbrake.com/gm-crk-05/
BlueberryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryZL1 View Post
just checking to see if anyone is running these rotors on their cars ive just started doing road course racing and my biggest issue right now is brakes and im thinking of just going all out and gets these

What issues are you having? The ZL1 brake package is quite good. I see you just started road course driving. Your issue may be your driving and not your brakes... Most beginners over brake the car which will cause over heating issues.

Have you changed out your factory brake fluid?
Old 02-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I'm not knocking Racing Brake products, I used their pads on a Z28 with the factory CC rotors. They were very grabby and I had to completely relearn driving the car in corner entry.
I track my ZL1, with upgraded brake fluid, stock rotors and pads, and have had no issues with the setup. The pads do wear a little faster than some aftermarket pads, but for $12k you can buy a whole bunch of replacement pads and tires.
If you start tracking your car often, you will realize how expensive and quickly you need tires.
Unless you are sponsored and being paid to drive I would really think hard about where to spend the money on track days.
On the other hand, maybe you have unlimited funds, in that case go for it and let me know how much you want for the OEM parts.
Happy tracking!
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:

It would be a waste of $12k.

Until you are in the 2:2x's at Sebring, or the 2:1x's at Daytona, you won't need more brake.

The ZL1 and 1LE brakes are amazing when prep'd properly.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
$12k! good thing i was sitting down.

just wondering, how long would these last!? not that i would drop 12k on these
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
$12k! good thing i was sitting down.

just wondering, how long would these last!? not that i would drop 12k on these

On the road, they would be a 'lifetime' part.

On track, they wear at roughly the same rate as iron rotors.

The big benefit is no fade and lower unsprung weight.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
BlueberryZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
the big issue i have is brakes overheating. i boiled the stock fluid and i figured out i did that cause i was way too aggressive with the car and i still had traction control on and thats what heated up the brakes. so naturally i changed out the fluid to motul 660 but everywhere i see carbon cermaic is basically the best of the best. funds are not too much of an issue cause i would mostly consider it an investment into the car instead of constantly changing rotors and pads so often. i mean if 2 rotors cost $1000 and i have to change more then 2 a year then i would just prefer to spend the money in the right place.
BlueberryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
the big issue i have is brakes overheating. i boiled the stock fluid and i figured out i did that cause i was way too aggressive with the car and i still had traction control on and thats what heated up the brakes. so naturally i changed out the fluid to motul 660 but everywhere i see carbon cermaic is basically the best of the best. funds are not too much of an issue cause i would mostly consider it an investment into the car instead of constantly changing rotors and pads so often. i mean if 2 rotors cost $1000 and i have to change more then 2 a year then i would just prefer to spend the money in the right place.
You boiled the brake fluid because of the brake fluid, not anything else. It wasnt because you were too aggressive or because you had TC on. I've driven my car hard for 1 hour straight and never had issues with brake fade or fluid boiling(running SRF Castrol).

If you want to get ceramics go for it, but that wasn't what was causing your fluid to boil. I can't speak to the cost of owning ceramic vs Iron rotors but maybe do some research to see which ones would be less expensive for you. I am not sure that ceramic would be cheaper in the long run though.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:46 AM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
You boiled the brake fluid because of the brake fluid, not anything else. It wasnt because you were too aggressive or because you had TC on. I've driven my car hard for 1 hour straight and never had issues with brake fade or fluid boiling(running SRF Castrol).

If you want to get ceramics go for it, but that wasn't what was causing your fluid to boil. I can't speak to the cost of owning ceramic vs Iron rotors but maybe do some research to see which ones would be less expensive for you. I am not sure that ceramic would be cheaper in the long run though.
Totally agree here. Never, ever use factory fluid on track. I have boiled factory fluid on my previous M2, but once I switched to Castrol SRF (with same pads, rotors and everything), never had an issue again. No matter how hard I pushed.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote