Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #71
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Interesting points. My view is somewhat different.

I started with Chevy, in my car-buying career, but they abandoned me. They kept designing products that diverged more and more, every year, from what I wanted -- both in regards to outright performance and quality.

If you'd told me, five or ten years back, that they'd be building products like the Z/28 and Z06 -- and testing them on the Nurburgring, to boot -- I would've laughed my ass off.

And yet, the Faithful at GM went and made it so! I'm not a new customer, the company just decided to start building cars that I'm interested in. I never went anywhere and my tastes haven't changed; if anything's different it's my higher tolerance for MSRP as the years (and my earning ability) have increased. I feel very blessed that Chevy came out with the perfect car for me, and that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford the price of entry on the Z/28...
I must agree. My first new car? A 1973 Vega GT. I posted elsewhere here I bought a new 1985 Z28. But until this Z/28? I would not look at another Chevrolet product. No bias per se, except a bias for performance that distinguishes itself, over fender flares and fake scoops designed to infer speed, but delivers nothing.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #72
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I did a google search with "new Z/28" and I was surprised to find that Camaro5 wasn't even mentioned until the 2nd page. I then did it with "2014 Z/28" and there wasn't a mention until the middle of the 4th page.

It just goes to show you that, as big as this forum is in regards to Camaro information, it's not the biggest fish in the pond.
. . . but it could be.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #73
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Interesting points. My view is somewhat different.

I started with Chevy, in my car-buying career, but they abandoned me. They kept designing products that diverged more and more, every year, from what I wanted -- both in regards to outright performance and quality.

If you'd told me, five or ten years back, that they'd be building products like the Z/28 and Z06 -- and testing them on the Nurburgring, to boot -- I would've laughed my ass off.

And yet, the Faithful at GM went and made it so! I'm not a new customer, the company just decided to get on with it and resume building cars that I'm interested in. I never went anywhere and my tastes haven't changed; if anything's different it's my higher tolerance for MSRP as the years (and my earning ability) have increased. I feel very blessed that Chevy came out with the perfect car for me, and that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford the price of entry on the Z/28...
I fully agree with you. I left GM as well for all the same reasons. But you don't have to go all the way to the Z/28 and Z06 to be impressed. I can buy a Z/28 cash right now, however I'm more impressed with the 1LE at its price and the Z51 for the same reason. In my opinion they have more value.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #74
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
My first new car? A 1973 Vega GT. I posted elsewhere here I bought a new 1985 Z28. But until this Z/28? I would not look at another Chevrolet product.
LOL! I had a new, yellow 73 Vega GT as my first car! Black stripe down the middle. It was an awesome fun little car and I thrashed the daylights out of it. Other than that and since then, never remotely considered a Chevy, or GM product until the Z/28 was announced. Great minds thinking alike! Ha!

Quote:
No bias per se, except a bias for performance that distinguishes itself, over fender flares and fake scoops designed to infer speed, but delivers nothing.
You got it! Right on.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #75
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
. . . but it could be.
Ah, and that will depend on Chevy's ability to transcend into markets that are not fully saturated and bring in a larger base of consumers that would find these cars appealing and have greater implied value (resale value), which they have more so than in the past. The 5 star crash rating doesn't hurt, but publicity in certain instances would have an impact on decision-makers that are in the market for a "fun" car.

I joined (Camaro5) back in 2009, but wasn't fully active until 2011 and since then(2009) the members list has grown from the 16K's to almost 90K today. That some rapid growth for an auto enthusiast forum. Will they sustain it?...maybe not, but that could depend on the products (Chevy) they release and how they attract new buyers that are looking for One-for-all source for their enthusiast needs.

Yes, Camaro5 is a leading source of information, not just for the 5th gen, but for a lot of the older Gen's and here and then, you get some info on the competitors. It certainly is a great time to be an enthusiast.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #76
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Ah, and that will depend on Chevy's ability to transcend into markets that are not fully saturated and bring in a larger base of consumers that would find these cars appealing and have greater implied value (resale value), which they have more so than in the past. The 5 star crash rating doesn't hurt, but publicity in certain instances would have an impact on decision-makers that are in the market for a "fun" car.

I joined (Camaro5) back in 2009, but wasn't fully active until 2011 and since then(2009) the members list has grown from the 16K's to almost 90K today. That some rapid growth for an auto enthusiast forum. Will they sustain it?...maybe not, but that could depend on the products (Chevy) they release and how they attract new buyers that are looking for One-for-all source for their enthusiast needs.

Yes, Camaro5 is a leading source of information, not just for the 5th gen, but for a lot of the older Gen's and here and then, you get some info on the competitors. It certainly is a great time to be an enthusiast.
I understand your points. All valid. But my comment and observation was not automotive oriented. It was search engine and software oriented.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #77
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I understand your points. All valid. But my comment and observation was not automotive oriented. It was search engine and software oriented.
sorry my confusion... Then Camaro5 needs to STEP UP

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #78
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I fully agree with you. I left GM as well for all the same reasons. But you don't have to go all the way to the Z/28 and Z06 to be impressed. I can buy a Z/28 cash right now, however I'm more impressed with the 1LE at its price and the Z51 for the same reason. In my opinion they have more value.
Another Vega victim! My second car -- the first one I purchased on my own -- was a... [wait for it]...

COSWORTH VEGA!!!

I improved the engine to 200 hp and improved the brakes and suspension. And, outside owning Chevy trucks and SUVs since then, I've not bought another Chevy until placing the order for my Z/28.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying the Cosworth-Vega was a pinnacle of GM history. However, it was an attempt to reach out to the enthusiast market in a way that Chevy had never done. In much the same way, the Z/28 reaches out to a group that encompasses both existing owners and people who have, up until now, had to satisfy their performance requirements by buying outside GM...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #79
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
They're available.
Didn't say I could afford it either.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #80
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Another Vega victim! My second car -- the first one I purchased on my own -- was a... [wait for it]...

COSWORTH VEGA!!!

I improved the engine to 200 hp and improved the brakes and suspension.
Funny you bring up the Vega.... A friend of mine bought a street/strip Vega bck in 1974 that had been customized with a DZ-302 Z/28 motor installed. I took one ride in that sucker on the streets and told the owner he better have a Bible in the glove box. That car was insane and too scary to drive on the streets, hell you could hardly control if you had a heavy foot. Now with slicks at the strip it was a different story.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote