Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #225
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I bet the insurance companies have a classification list.
LOL Yes they do! I'm sure we are in the priciest category given the horsepower of the ZL1.
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #226
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Very much so. I guess you had to have been there . . . and yes, I did file for Medicare Part A just yesterday

I know I've been much more oriented toward traditional sports cars and cornering/handling since before I had my driver's license, and that my perspective on topics such as this can't help but be affected. What I don't know is why.

But I'm much impressed at what today's ponycars can be made to do when the road suddenly heads off in a new direction. If I wasn't, and couldn't see any ready improvements to make that happen, I doubt I'd own a Mustang or maintain active membership on a Camaro forum.

Norm
While it is consistent historically to refer to today's ZL1 and GT 500 as pony cars, it stretches things beyond a little. These cars are closer to being true race cars than the "pony cars" they started out as way back when. Remember the original pony car started out as a slightly tweaked Ford Falcon econo box with a larger engine. Our ZL1 shares now shares its suspension with the Ferrari. We ain't in Kansas no more Toto..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #227
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
The point of an auto zl1 is becuase people begged for it day in and day out and gm wanted to sell to these (bad knees, bad ankles, daily driver lazy for traffic, ignorant to how a manual operates). Look gm sold to these people and more money for gm by hitting a broader market.

Personally I will not go back to an auto in a sports car. I have had to many problems with autos and racing, they can't seem to take the abuse like a manual can. Ide also rather change out a clutch any day over having to buy a new auto which is what usually happens when the thing goes out.

To each their own though. Manual drivers is a dieing breed and i personally feel a little safer knowing that ........... look up how many thieves fail to steal a manaul car lol.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #228
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
There is no point of an auto, you will have to live with the criticism for the rest of the time you have it. "Why didn't you get a stick, what's the point, that's a waste of a car, too scared of a stick" things people say.

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #229
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
There is no point of an auto, you will have to live with the criticism for the rest of the time you have it. "Why didn't you get a stick, what's the point, that's a waste of a car, too scared of a stick" things people say.
I havent heard any of that one single time from anyone. Maybe you should rethink the kind of people you hang around with.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #230
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
I have a manual a love it, but can respect those that want an auto, well guess what, GM gives the consumer the choice and opens thier market in doing so. The only thing, I wish they could have better designed the way the auto looks. I am not too fond of the unit and its appearance, they should have incorporated the way the CTS-V auto looks, much more appealing IMO.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #231
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
if this is your main fear i would suggest its time to drop em and grow a spine.

If i had a auto zl1 for whatever reason, probally about 99% of people that said that too me i could reply with " where's yours? "
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #232
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
The STICK cars always win the CAR SHOWS !!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #233
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Soooooo not worried about that.

Then 'non-car guys' forget that stupid shit really quick when they see the blower and hear the cam.

The 'car guys' usually realize they won't beat me in an equal car.

Those who believe they CAN beat me don't act or think like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oSS View Post
if this is your main fear i would suggest its time to drop em and grow a spine.

If i had a auto zl1 for whatever reason, probally about 99% of people that said that too me i could reply with " where's yours? "
I tend to be more sarcasticly tactful. LOL

"I'm not a great racer but here's my time slip. How can I improve on this to maybe catch you in yours?"
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #234
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
While it is consistent historically to refer to today's ZL1 and GT 500 as pony cars, it stretches things beyond a little. These cars are closer to being true race cars than the "pony cars" they started out as way back when. Remember the original pony car started out as a slightly tweaked Ford Falcon econo box with a larger engine. Our ZL1 shares now shares its suspension with the Ferrari. We ain't in Kansas no more Toto..
Trust me, I know where they started and how much the performance levels of these cars have improved over the years. My 2008 GT is now down near the slow end of the ponycar acceleration spectrum, and even my slow car would be more than a match for most of the traditional musclecars and ponycars in a straight line all things in both cars left stock. Once the road starts turning, it would have run away and hid from all of them even before I started tweaking on it. Even the exotics weren't ET'ing enough better to keep it from being a driver's race (13 second Miuras).

I suppose that instead of typing "ponycar" I could have written "front 6 or 8 cylinder engine rear wheel drive 2-door coupe or convertible generally with 2+2 seating", but I'm way too lazy to write that more than once (and not nearly cranky enough to make everybody read it more than once). Most anybody enthusiastic enough to join a forum dedicated to any of these cars know what the term means. No need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #235
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Very true, I was just stating some of the things people say or hate on about people with autos. I myself had an auto before my Z BUT I will say you can win in an auto but that doesnt make you the better driver, if you want to win the ultimate respect as a driver, beat them by your own hand, not the cars auto transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Soooooo not worried about that.

Then 'non-car guys' forget that stupid shit really quick when they see the blower and hear the cam.

The 'car guys' usually realize they won't beat me in an equal car.

Those who believe they CAN beat me don't act or think like that.

I tend to be more sarcasticly tactful. LOL

"I'm not a great racer but here's my time slip. How can I improve on this to maybe catch you in yours?"

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #236
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Trust me, I know where they started and how much the performance levels of these cars have improved over the years. My 2008 GT is now down near the slow end of the ponycar acceleration spectrum, and even my slow car would be more than a match for most of the traditional musclecars and ponycars in a straight line all things in both cars left stock. Once the road starts turning, it would have run away and hid from all of them even before I started tweaking on it. Even the exotics weren't ET'ing enough better to keep it from being a driver's race (13 second Miuras).

I suppose that instead of typing "ponycar" I could have written "front 6 or 8 cylinder engine rear wheel drive 2-door coupe or convertible generally with 2+2 seating", but I'm way too lazy to write that more than once (and not nearly cranky enough to make everybody read it more than once). Most anybody enthusiastic enough to join a forum dedicated to any of these cars know what the term means. No need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak . . .

Norm
Oh, but I think the wheel can be improved upon.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #237
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Very true, I was just stating some of the things people say or hate on about people with autos. I myself had an auto before my Z BUT I will say you can win in an auto but that doesnt make you the better driver, if you want to win the ultimate respect as a driver, beat them by your own hand, not the cars auto transmission.
Agreed. But you still won't get the respect if yours is the better car anyway. And that is grey at best.

Don't get me wrong, the fun factor goes to the stick. But it's fun to drink my coffee and hammer my car.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #238
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I used to be a manual chest pounder ,but then I grew up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote