Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Clutch sticking?

Not as to say Iv never slipped it a little driving. But I've noticed lately a few times I'll be driving and shift and then a little later smell a burning clutch smell. Not bad. Just a hint. It'll go away. Then maybe happen again randomly as I shift. Maybe has to do with braking? What's the deal with the reservoir swap everyone does? Also my front brake isn't quite disengaging all the way I've found out and is going to Chevy Monday to look at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
The reservoir swap allows you to add a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid as opposed to piggybacking off the brake fluid reservoir.
It is a simple mod that takes about 10 minutes to install and is absolutely worth it.
The stage 2 upgrade is just a new brake fluid reservoir from an automatic, so the clutch line port is sealed from the factory, mainly it just looks a little cleaner.

Lingenfelter also makes an upgraded clutch return spring to make sure the pedal returns to the correct position.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
AAAND GO

Drives: 14 2SS 1LE RRM NPP / 90 Lumina Euro
Brake not disengaging...I think you just identified your odor.
AAAND GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
The reservoir swap allows you to add a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid as opposed to piggybacking off the brake fluid reservoir.
It is a simple mod that takes about 10 minutes to install and is absolutely worth it.
The stage 2 upgrade is just a new brake fluid reservoir from an automatic, so the clutch line port is sealed from the factory, mainly it just looks a little cleaner.

Lingenfelter also makes an upgraded clutch return spring to make sure the pedal returns to the correct position.
+1 the stock configuration with a combined resevoir just doesn't work. You will be shocked how much clutch debris will be initially in the new reservoir (it eventually stabilizes). I am glad all of that is not in my braking system now. I had a spongy, creaky pedal before the mod. The stock DOT3 fluid is not up to it. Use DOT4 like it says on the mod version's cap.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
aggieguy13

Where to find kit? Didn't see on apex or phasetek

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
Not as to say Iv never slipped it a little driving. But I've noticed lately a few times I'll be driving and shift and then a little later smell a burning clutch smell. Not bad. Just a hint. It'll go away. Then maybe happen again randomly as I shift. Maybe has to do with braking? What's the deal with the reservoir swap everyone does? Also my front brake isn't quite disengaging all the way I've found out and is going to Chevy Monday to look at that

I am curious as to how many miles were on your car when you started to notice this?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
aggieguy13

11-12k

Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
gajagfan

Quote:
11-12k

Thanks! That is where I am at, and have not noticed any problems. I do not have the separator kit either, and have no problems with brakes or clutch. I mention this, not to suggest that you should not add that kit, but since it is under warranty, to make sure that it is not something else as well. MY fluid in the brake reservoir is not all that dis-colored yet.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
aggieguy13

Ya I'm already dropping it off Monday because my driver front is steeling at times. And I have like 85% pad at least left. I had the wheel off lastnight. And you can hear the pad scraping and making rough contact at all times. Feels like minuscule grooves are starting on the back of the rotor

Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
gajagfan

Quote:
Ya I'm already dropping it off Monday because my driver front is steeling at times. And I have like 85% pad at least left. I had the wheel off lastnight. And you can hear the pad scraping and making rough contact at all times. Feels like minuscule grooves are starting on the back of the rotor

Please let us know what they say. I will be curious. If this is caused by the lack of separated reservoirs, it will always shock me as to why they made the decision to share the one. Our WS6 had 2 as I recall. I hate this is happening to you, but appreciate you letting us all know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

aggieguy13,

Sorry to hear about your clutch concerns, but great that you're seeking an appointment. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to contact us privately if you have additional questions.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...s-zl1-jdpc1001

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

T.
I can't wait for my next