Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
A/C smell

Anybody else have a horrible A/C smell when turning it on after it's sat for awhile? Smells like a 10 year old gym shoe. The smell dissipates after a few minutes.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Yes no matter what vehicle it is. It always stinks like old musty basement, after it has sat for a period of time. Honestly I really try to not use my AC if I dont have to.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
protip: after running the A/C, leave your fan blowing but turn off the A/C button...this will help get excess moisture out of your vents (which cause the smell you're describing). You can even turn the temp up a bit to help evaporate it! Do this for ~60 seconds.

Next time it's hot out and you have to run your A/C, do the above and feel your vents, you'll actually feel the condensation on the vent!

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I've heard this is because the AC drain is above the transmission, and many of them weren't installed correctly. The improper installation doesn't allow the water condensation to fully drain from the system.
My car has a similar problem. I've been meaning to get under there and fix it, but haven't gotten the time. (Completely forgot to do it when I had it in pieces to redo all the suspension stuff.)
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
My Cruze smells the same way. I've tried turning off the AC and letting the fan blow for a minute or 2 but it really doesn't seem to stop the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I've heard this is because the AC drain is above the transmission, and many of them weren't installed correctly. The improper installation doesn't allow the water condensation to fully drain from the system.
My car has a similar problem. I've been meaning to get under there and fix it, but haven't gotten the time. (Completely forgot to do it when I had it in pieces to redo all the suspension stuff.)

I'm curious about this. Let us know what you find.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
make sure you change the cabin air filter, you would be surprised how much debris it collects.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
I've changed the cabin filter. Still stinks. I'll try leaving the fan running and see if that helps
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
protip: after running the A/C, leave your fan blowing but turn off the A/C button...this will help get excess moisture out of your vents (which cause the smell you're describing). You can even turn the temp up a bit to help evaporate it! Do this for ~60 seconds.

Next time it's hot out and you have to run your A/C, do the above and feel your vents, you'll actually feel the condensation on the vent!
worked for me on a Tahoe I had
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Yeah it helps to let it run on fan only before you park it from the trip if you can remember to do that. Some cars have a better drain inside the evaporator for the condensation. The chevy's I have all have this problem.
some places offer to spray a cleaning foam in there which would freshen it up only briefly.
Isn't the heater core in the same housing? Thinking if it bothers you enough you could kick on the heater for a couple minutes, the heat will help dry things out faster inside there. But if the drain is plugged etc, it won't dry well with just these tips.
Wonder if you see a drip on the ground after using AC for a trip then parking it? Might help indicate if the drain is working at all.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
Car makers say, to turn A/C off a few minutes before you park the car to avoid the smell, you shouldn't let A/C on at all times.

Now, the fun thing is, i tried this. I rarely use the A/C. Got the smell anyway.
A LOT of People i know don't bother and let the A/C run at all times. ALL of them don't have that smell.

I guess it is somewhat like the break in procedure. What the makers say and what really is good for your engine are way different.

Plus, to get rid of the smell, i just tried to spray a good amount of sanitizer onto the core after taking out the cabin filter.
Worked like a charm, smell is totally gone.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Plus, to get rid of the smell, i just tried to spray a good amount of sanitizer onto the core after taking out the cabin filter.
Worked like a charm, smell is totally gone.
I was going to recommend something similar. I have heard putting the AC on high and spray into the inlet at the cowl. Remember to keep the windows rolled down, and to let it run for about 15 minutes.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote