Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
http://jalopnik.com/5716931/man-arre...yline=true&s=i
This was at the top of the page when I opened it. Idiots will be idiots, but what would we have to give us such a good chuckle. At least he didn't roll over or Chevy may recall Corvettes as they'd have a rollover potential at 195.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I don't think that the government is the answer here... it never is.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
Sadly, it's the go-to entity these days.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Let's not blame the government for how Ford designs a car. The government's domestic role, for the most part, is to deter crime, injustice, and disorder. Deterrence only prevents those issues when those who would cause crime, injustice, and disorder decide in a cost-benefit analysis that the cost of crime, injustice, and disorder exceeds the benefit. Ford decided to go ahead with a product that would not pass more stringent testing. Blame Ford, not the US government.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #19
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Agreed. 100%

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
So...

They are shocked real axles are rusting and breaking when they live in areas with heavily salted roads? Did these people ever bother to wash under the car and do basic work to prevent problems?

I'm guessing not
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Why do we need the government to babysit us? The best solution for this kind of thing is for the government to stay the hell out of the way. The government can't do anything about this. What is the government going to do, mandate that as soon as a problem is found in ONE car you issue a recall for every car in the model line? Seriously if the government gets involved in every little freaking problem your 35K Camaro will eventually cost well over 100K. Why you ask will the price go up so much, simple car companies will not eat the cost of potentially recalling every mass produced automobile and will simple build that potential cost into the price of every car. So with hundreds of thousands of parts on any given car times hundreds of thousands of dollars in recall expenses your average car will be astronomically unaffordable by anybody and every car manufacturer will go out of business. Now is getting the government involved in this really such a good idea?
The governments role is to protect the people(you know for the people, by the people etc). Businesses have one focus and that is to make money. If they know no one is watching they will take every short cut they can get away with. They cant sell lots of $100,000 cars so they need to make $30,000 cars. So how does government oversight pay off? Well if you take GM which will have over 11 million sales in North America and you have the guys with the MBA's asking the engineers where to cut costs. They listen when the engineer says "well going with the lower cost metal in the axle might save 50 cents per car but there is a high risk of failure" The MBA guy now does some bean counting and decides which is more costly. Folow the engineers advice and spend that extra 5.5 million or gamble with law suites and recalls. Law suites dont worry them much these days because they are settled out of court with non-disclosure binders. This makes it harder for the next person who has someone die to build a case. If you have government oversight then you have pressure that helps the MBA's make the right choice.
Who do you trust to look out for your best interests? The government of the people, by the people or the business of the dollar, for the dollar?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Apparently we are going to have mandated backup cameras in all cars by 2015 (or so the rumor is) due to 225 or so people a year die from being backed over....yet cigarettes kill 500,000 a year and ....????? The Gov cannot regulate every aspect of our life (happy meals in CA?) but when they do shouldn't there be some common sense involved? THAT I would vote for.
Off topic but the happy meal thing is way over blown- They didn't outlaw a happymeal nor toys in them. They outlawed toys in unhealthy happy meals. It's a choice parents and Mc'ds must make now. Toy and healthy meal or unhealthy meal and no free toy. Have you seen the number of fat kids? Someone has to make people think about that choice. At current rates of childhood obesity pediatricians are going to have to get extra training on treating heart attack, coronary artery disease etc. They already have to bone up on type 2 diabetes management.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
So...

They are shocked real axles are rusting and breaking when they live in areas with heavily salted roads? Did these people ever bother to wash under the car and do basic work to prevent problems?

I'm guessing not
Most don't. My driveshaft was rusted through on the Exploder when I sold it. How it didn't shear I have no idea. But they took it for 4500 bucks and I got a Trans Am out of the deal with 29K miles at the time.

Win Win for me.

Only now I wash underneath the car and am (in the process of) getting it undercoated so crap like snapped rear ends and suspension components are limited to Track Day.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #24
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
One has to ask how long the manufacturer should be responsible for parts that wear out as a result of normal wear, age, and salt corrosion. I can understand if this was happening to newer vehicles, but the Windstar has been out of production for nearly 10 years now.

Should Ford be required to retro fit all remaining Model T's and A's with seat belts and air bags? Should GM today be required to retrofit all remaining Corvairs with new suspensions? Can I sue if a 15 year old serpentine belt breaks, and the resulting loss of power steering causes an accident? If you are driving a car with 200K+ miles and the shocks are worn out, or the brakes are shot, is the manufacturer responsible for that? Where should the cutoff be?

At some point, owners/drivers have to take on the responsibility for ensuring that their car is in good working order. The manufacturers can't drive the cars to the garage to ensure they are being properly maintained themselves, and it certainly isn't realistic to expect unlimited lifetime bumper to bumper warranties.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #25
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
So...

If I buy a car, never change the oil or take care of suspension upkeep..and the engine has a catastrophic failure and takes the front suspension with it...is it the companies fault? Or is it mine for failing to take care of my vehicle.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
So...

If I buy a car, never change the oil or take care of suspension upkeep..and the engine has a catastrophic failure and takes the front suspension with it...is it the companies fault? Or is it mine for failing to take care of my vehicle.
Depends. How good is you lawyer?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
So...

Could happen this way..

Owner: Manufacturers fault!

Manufacturer: *points to Federal Automobile Administation*

FAA Model: Owner just got put in jail via it's belt and suspenders for GROSS NEGLIGENCE.

But that's after 5 years of litigation and investigation. And all Auto Mechanics have to have minimum 3 years experience at 3/hr before they can even sign off a tire change. AND they have to take a government test on top of their licensing test to prove that they can change a tire. Again.

Welcome to Government Oversight.. Aviation style.

Owner = Airline

Belt and Suspenders = Executives and Head Mechanics
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #28
KJinni

Theres a reason that Ford doesn't make vans anymore. (well, not minivans)
KJinni is offline   Reply With Quote