Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Suspension / Alignment question?

I lowered my ZL1 with the Apex 1.2 inch drop springs. It yielded about an inch all the way around. I took it to a highly recommended shop that uses a "mechanical" aligment system and also had them index the bushings.

Being a mechanical system I was not able to get a print out of the results. As soon as I drove away I noticed the car pulling to the right. It was the end of the day and now the shop is closed for the holiday.

So I took it today to another shop that uses the Hunter Hawk Eye system and they found a very interesting alignment .... (I had giving both shops the specs for the Pfadt performance street setup)

Alignment from first shop

Alignment from second shop

Thoughts on the second alignment?

It looks like there is took much camber in the rear and shouldn't the toe both front and back be at zero or closer to it?

Camber (deg) -0.9 -1.1
Caster (deg) 7.5 8.5
Total Toe -1/16" (0.17°) 0 (0°)

Rear
Camber (deg) -0.7 -0.9
Total Toe -1/16" (0.17°) 0 (0°)
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
You need to get your money back from the first shop. Do you autocross or track the car? If not the alignment isn't going to be super critical other than to help your tire wear. The -1.4 Camber will likely cause some inside tire wear after awhile, also it bugs me the Camber is not equal, this is most likely because they didn't touch it and it's at whatever you got it to when doing the springs.

Zero toe in the front will be better for handling and turn in, looks to be within spec but could be better. Camber in the rear might be about as good as you can get with drop springs, the shop should be able to tell you if they couldn't get it anymore positive.

You might need to find a performance chassis shop that does performance alignments if you want to get closer to those specs. Your average tire/alignment shop is just going to get it within spec of their machine and call it good.

It cost me almost $200 to get mine completely aligned and it took them a couple hours to get done since nearly everything had to be adjusted. Your average alignment they just adjust the toe and check everything else and don't touch camber, etc.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Rear should expect to be -0.5 for camber. Mine is a 2ss w zl1 staggered wheels, 1le and bmr upgrades. Link to my sheet:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=16

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Looks like left rear suspension's adjusters somehow got loose. I don't think they would have aligned it that way.

I use Firestone's lifetime alignment for $159. I ask for their master technician, and give exact numbers I'd like to get. He makes sure every number is where I want. If not, since it's lifetime, I can just go change the suspension components, and go back. I used this method for my last 6 cars, and can always go back to alignment as I need. I also tip the technician $20, and and never ever had problems with alignment.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote