Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
bamacarfool

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSII
Angry Fuel Management or Torque Converter issue?

I took delivery of my new Camaro SSII (Automatic) in June. I have the same common issues mentioned by others (Trunk Release works randomly, Paint chipping below rear spoiler on passenger side) and will get to those later. The MAIN problem I've had since day one is that the car will not run at a smooth steady speed in the automatic mode. The car seems to be going from 8 to 4 cylinders at any speed, causing a "herky jerky" feeling in the ride of the car. It's hard to describe - the rpm level doesn't change when this happens, but any change in the terrain I'm on (hills, on-ramps, etc.) causes this to happen. I have to compensate with more gas peddle to get the car back to my speed. Using cruise control makes the issue more apparent. If I use the "manual" mode in the car (paddle shifts), the car runs fine. The Dealership "thinks" it's the Fuel Management causing the problem, even though one of their techs rode with me and immediately said "torque converter". Either way, the car isn't repaired and I'm told Chevy doesn't have a fix. I guess that means "get used to it cause we can't fix it". I ordered an automatic because that's what I wanted, yet I have to keep the car in manual mode to keep me from driving it into the bay. Any ideas?

Last edited by bamacarfool; 07-30-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
bamacarfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
I remember when you would have a problem with your new or newer car and take to the dealership for warranty work. The techs would diagnose the problem and fix it...period. Now, it appears they bring up your VIN number and look to see if GM/Ford/Chrysler/etc. has anything to say about the complaint you have about your car. If not, then they simply tell you that the manufacturer doesn't have a fix yet or that "it's" normal for the vehicle.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Mine is finally starting to loosen up, and it started doing what you describe - even in manual mode. I put the active handling into competitive mode, and all was better! Try comp mode next time you have the issue. This was the first I experienced it. I'm thinking/hoping that comp mode disables the AFM system. Would make sense, as this mode is designed for the track...
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah I wish GM would up date the program on the computer for no AFM below 55 MPH. I thought it was going to be that way but I can hear/feel it kicking in at 30MPH. And why is the car in 6th gear at 30MPH during in town crusing.

I did hear that some people tuning the cars is setting AFM only after 55MPH.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
PTPhilip

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I noticed the same thing when trying to accelerate from a low speed in a higher gear (like 30-35mph in 5th gear) and I can definitetly feel a shaky acceleration and the exhaust tone is shaky also. I tried in comp mode and it made it a little smoother, but its still noticeable. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when I pick up my replacement front gfx spoiler.
PTPhilip is offline   Reply With Quote