Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
Desmoden

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Stolen: 2013 ZL1 (Bob) taken from driveway last week....

I was in Beijing.

car was locked, well lit area with active Onstar and cameras in the proximity. Stolen from my DRIVEWAY

Bob's remains found Sunday abandoned in Oakland. Bob lived in Sunnyvale.

Onstar was contacted as soon as theft was detected. How much time passed impossible to tell. No more than 6 hours, perhaps only 45min.

The car, which normally is so load it sets off car alarms starting up, did not make enough noise for 4 jumpy Yellow Labs (while I am away, shadows are shot on sight), and my Wife heard NOTHING with the house windows open. So hypothesis here is they disabled it, put it into neutral and rolled it onto a truck.

Onstar was NEVER able to find my car again.

Kind Officer on the phone explains that there is a crew operating in the Bay Area has a way to USE ONSTAR to steal your car

THERE IS NO PROOF YET

Onstar may be innocent

However kind Officer said they are able to send a signal to the car convincing it that there has been a major accident, thus unlocking and disarming the system. He went on to say they were specifically targeting Camaros among others with Onstar.

Then then still need to start the car, and since I have the two keys still I don't know exactly how that was done, I have a hypothesis or two, but that's all. So this is another concern.

Bob is we think a total loss. Insurance has yet to rule.

Even if AAA steps up and pays me full, as much as I want another ZL1, until Onstar (if indeed the culprit) fixes the problem I could get a new one tomorrow and they could steal it again Sunday. What is my protection?

Bob and I only had 6,122 miles together. I had NOT ONE complaint

But this SUCKs and I do NOT was to repeat this behavior again in this lifetime.

I don't want another car. But that new Z06 is about to ship...

total nightmare
Jon
Desmoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Sorry to hear about your loss, people f*cking suck. Who knows what may have become of you car at this point. You might be better off having it a total loss and getting another one. Maybe they took it for parts. Maybe they took it for the motor. Maybe they wanted a joyride and then left it somewhere. You have to install some cameras.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
Mach.89

Drives: ZL1 Summit White 2014
Sorry to hear that Jon,

Total loss would be best as mentioned above.

Good luck & Z06 is a beautiful car.

As long as you & your family are OK, the rest you can manage.

Lets hope it'll never happen again.
Mach.89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Sorry to hear this. Like I mentioned in the link below, too bad there isn't an IED theft option. This poor guys Camaro was stolen last week from Livermore and they found parts in the lovely city of Oakland also.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364619

Last edited by SS PANTHER; 06-24-2014 at 05:21 AM.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
They disable the alarm, jack it up in back, and stick a tow dolly underneath it. Then take it wherever they want to. If you are going to park it outside for extended periods of time, back it into a spot, and crank the wheel to full lock. Another idea is to pull the power door lock fuse. They get into your car by using a frequency generator. Those things send out thousands of signals a second, and they just stand by your car until the correct signal works. When it does, your alarm is disabled and the doors are open. They basically "hack" into your car.

I had an idea to rig an external toggle switch to the door lock fuse and hide it inside of the fuel door. They probably won't be so eager to shatter the glass, and make noise.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You can slow down these low lives but if they want your car then they have it. After that it gets shipped in a container to whomever placed the order overseas. Not cool.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
SlitherByU

Drives: 2018 GT350R
Even if I were home, I could never leave my GT500 outside overnight. Criminals commit crime in nice neighborhoods. No neighborhood is safe these days. Rule #1 on the street is secure your shit or it'll be someone else's shit.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I wonder what the insurance company will give you for a total loss.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
not cool is right...sorry hope the best for ya
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Wow that sucks. People are getting clever using tech. Hope you get another bad ass ride, but if you don't park it in the garage they will snatch your new ZL1, or Z06.

I park in the garage and then disengage the door opener so they cant hack the garage door. Then an old fashioned lock on all roll up doors.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 06-24-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Very sorry to hear about this. Can't imagine how frustrating it is for you.

While an Onstar hack is probably possible, there are so much easier ways to take the car. Tow (as mentioned), or pay off a dealership or locksmith employee to cut a key from the VIN (doesn't work well for parking at the store for 30 minutes, but works great for cars parked in driveways every day). As mentioned, if someone wants your car, they will get it. I wouldn't let OnStar stop you from getting the car you want.. Or, if you really want a Zl1, but don't trust OnStar, you can do some googleing to see how to disable it.

Had a family friend who had a Porsche stolen right out of his garage. After he heard the garage door open, he ran out of the house, saw the thief backing away. The thief gave him the finger as he left....if they really want it, they'll get it.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Had a family friend who had a Porsche stolen right out of his garage. After he heard the garage door open, he ran out of the house, saw the thief backing away. The thief gave him the finger as he left....if they really want it, they'll get it.

Wow thats crazy. Garages that are secured by an opener only are now not very secure. A frequency generator can crack that in a minute. You have to disengage the opener when you want it to be secure and use the manual lock. Be sure to remove the locks before you reengage the opener or the door can get bent. I put a note on the opener when its locked so the family does not hit the opener and tweak the door.

But as you said if they want it bad enough they will get it.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Sorry for your loss.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Wow, sorry to read about this. I hope you get compensated sufficiently to get something else that will make you happy.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote