Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Need Help... 1SS vs. 2LT

Here's the deal, and trust me... I've read the other comparison threads. I'm at a point now where I'm stuck. I have a few dealers trying to score me the bare basic 2010 1SS and trying to get me qualified at the same time (with a loan). I'm a former active duty Marine and of course I don't have the best of credit. So here's what I have now:

1. A loan for $30,000 that may or may not require 10% down (3rd party bank).
2. A loan approved through a GM dealer for the equivalent of a 2LT.

Behind the scenes I have two dealers working at getting me a 1SS. One is searching used cars and is trying to get final pricing (hoping that used will bring the price down). The other is searching new cars, found one (at about $33,000 or so), and just trying to get me approved for it.

Now I can wait and hope I get approved for the SS, or find money to put down towards it (a few thousand)... or I can get the LT now. There's absolutely no guarantees that I will be approved for this SS by either dealer (even though I make twice what this car is worth).

So what do I do? Coming up with money down is rough for me with two kids, a wife, house, etc. I make more than enough but it's over time and not immediate. Though I can work overtime and get at least a few K rather quick (less than 6 weeks)... doing it right this second is rough and I have a month before my bank loan expires.

At the same time considering trims, I live in a major city. Gas prices are rather high (all things considered) and I'd mainly be driving highway miles. My initial thought process is why own a Camaro without a V8 engine (same thing I've asked myself over the purchase of my Jeep 5 years ago). Clearly a 122 hp increase is justified (along with brakes, road handling performance, etc). But then I'm bothered by the fact that I might be spending a lot more on a V8 (cost of repairs, insurance, gas, etc) in the longer run.

I don't know what I should do here. I could easily score the LT and not have to worry about credit and so forth while the SS is a harder sell. But I don't entirely know if I would be happy with a V6 and not have that extra umph. Especially considering my goal from the getgo was to get the 1SS.

So here are my choices and I hope you guys can help me out:

1. Fight tooth and nail for a new 1SS. No matter how long it takes.
2. Look for a used (less than 5,000 mile) 1SS and hope for the best.
3. Score a brand new 2LT on the current approvals I do have.

No matter what happens here, it's going to be a vast improvement over my Jeep. The gas mileage in either V6 or V8 will be much better, and during the harsh winter days (in Colorado) I could drive the Jeep and house the Camaro. But for all other days, this Camaro is going to be my main vehicle.

With all the hell I've been through trying to get this SS... I would think something somewhere is trying to tell me something. I just can't decide on whether I should obey or rebel. I want performance, I want power, but I want comfort and affordability. I don't have an endless bank account or credit line like others I've seen posting. So I'm stuck between the rock and the hard place.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Oh and I should add that my Jeep is falling apart. The maybe simple answer would be to save up some money down, finish off my Jeep payments (which I planned to have paid off in the next couple months regardless of new car purchase), and then re-apply for a loan and go for the 2011 1SS or 2SS. But I don't see this Jeep lasting another 6+ months of constant daily driving. I figured if I could box it up and have a new car to drive now, that driving the Jeep only during the snowstorms would suffice and stretch its life out. So I basically need to do something in the next month or two or run the risk of my Jeep exploding.

Last edited by John Shields; 07-09-2010 at 03:51 AM.
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
idk man... i got my 1ss/rs with upgraded sound, with GM discount for 31k.. good deal or what... the v8 is truly the man... the v6 is a cool looking car but its not the man if you know what i am talking about.... i can tell you deep down in side want a SS because you are even trying to get a used one... GO BIG GOOD LUCK

Last edited by mikeSS; 07-10-2010 at 01:17 AM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Cars like the Camaro are purchased more out of emotion than logic. Look at it this way, you've got 2 women... one you're madly in love with that's in school getting her degree and won't marry you till she's done & one with a career that's already set to go, you like her a lot but not like the first woman. If you marry chick #2 you're always gonna have chick #1 in the back of your head and will never really be able to fully enjoy chick #2 anyway. V8 FTW.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
idk man... i got my 1ss/rs with upgraded sound sound, with GM discount for 31k.. good deal or what... the v8 is truly the man... the v6 is a cool looking car but its not the man if you know what i am talking about.... i can tell you deep down in side want a SS because you are even trying to get a used one... GO BIG GOOD LUCK
If I could bag that price I'd be set. I can use my existing loan with a couple grand down. But I haven't found an SS in the entire state of Colorado (speaking to 5 different dealers now) for under $32,000. I'd even be willing to travel to the outlining states if I could get $30,000 or less on an SS (RS package isn't even a concern for me). But I haven't found anything like that.

If I had an unlimited bank account or credit loan I'd have gone with the 2SS/RS. But I'm limited right now. Which is why I'm having this internal epic battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Cars like the Camaro are purchased more out of emotion than logic. Look at it this way, you've got 2 women... one you're madly in love with that's in school getting her degree and won't marry you till she's done & one with a career that's already set to go, you like her a lot but not like the first woman. If you marry chick #2 you're always gonna have chick #1 in the back of your head and will never really be able to fully enjoy chick #2 anyway. V8 FTW.
Well said... but in the end does it all add up.
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
GrandPrixGXP

Drives: Grand Prix GXP
I agree with one of the people who posted above. Sounds like you really, really want the SS, so I don't think you'd be happy otherwise. To answer your question, I'd say fight tooth and nail for the SS.

Personally, I can't wait to get a Camaro, but I'm waiting til the newly designed interior for the 2012. Personally, I can't afford the 2SS, so I'm going to stick with the 2LT. I plan to get an exhaust upgrade to make it sound meaner. Currently, I have a Pontiac Grandp Prix GXP with a V8. However, the Camaro's V-6 has the same power, if not a little more. Therefore, I know there's plenty of power for me with the V-6, but yeah, if somebody asks me if mine's a 6 or an 8, of course, I'd like to say it's an 8.
GrandPrixGXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My first thought was obviously "SS, DUDE! SERIOUSLY!". But after reading the whole post, it is a tough call. It doesn't sound like you're a V8 purist, so maybe do everything you can to land the SS within your allotted timeframe. If that doesn't work out, then maybe the 2LT is what you're meant to have. EIther car will be quite rewarding in it's own way, so if you're not committed to having one trim or the other, then maybe let the chips fall where they may... Just my .02

Either way, POST PICS!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Depends where you want your options....under the hood or in the cabin
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Get the V8, and add the options as you go.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
Blueliner98

Drives: 2LT RS Victory Red w/Hockey Stripes
Well, this is coming from someone in your own predicament...

I wanted an SS as well, but it couldn't really afford it, so instead I "slummed" it and got a V-6...

I absolutely LOVE my car!!

It's my daily driver, so obviously the gas mileage is better, and my insurance was going to be $30 more a month on the SS. Sure, I wish I could have afforded the SS, but I dont regret my purchase!
Blueliner98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
i sometimes wish i had gotten the v6 a little. one reason is there has been a sweet 2nd gen z sitting for sale. if i had the v6 that 2nd gen would be in my driveway right now.
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Darth Camaro
Out of my mind!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Ok, you can listen to everybody or listen to somethings that you said. I here you I really DO!! I wanted a 2SS but I walked out with a 1LT/RS for 28,000. I am REALLY HAPPY WITH MY CAMARO!!!! I've taken it to Texas motor speedway, 103mph on turn 3 AWSOME!!!! I've gotten it up to 138 so far (fast enough for me) I live around Dallas. Gas comes and goes but not as fast as a SS, I get really good gas milage. A SS sounds great, the V6 sounds good too. What I have seen so far is that most people who buy a SS void there warnty and do MODs. Yes I would have too... But like I said I am in LOVE with my car. Its a Camaro and I don't care what people think when they find out its a V6. When they get in it all they say is "THIS IS A V6, WOW THIS IS FAST... Get what you want but remember YOU WILL BE HAPPIER WITH IT WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD IT.
Darth Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPrixGXP View Post
I agree with one of the people who posted above. Sounds like you really, really want the SS, so I don't think you'd be happy otherwise. To answer your question, I'd say fight tooth and nail for the SS.

Personally, I can't wait to get a Camaro, but I'm waiting til the newly designed interior for the 2012. Personally, I can't afford the 2SS, so I'm going to stick with the 2LT. I plan to get an exhaust upgrade to make it sound meaner. Currently, I have a Pontiac Grandp Prix GXP with a V8. However, the Camaro's V-6 has the same power, if not a little more. Therefore, I know there's plenty of power for me with the V-6, but yeah, if somebody asks me if mine's a 6 or an 8, of course, I'd like to say it's an 8.
THis is a bit of tangent... sorry, but I have to say this.

This is not me bashing the v6, because it is a great engine, however, if you're expecting similar performance out of the V6 that you got from the GXP's LS4 V8, I'd suggest driving one before you make your final decision. I sold my '07 GXP to put me in a position to buy my SS (which I'm picking up next week) but have test-driven a V6 and my buddy has a v6 - so I'm familiar with how it feels. IMO, the V6 has the HP, no doubt, but it's lacking the torque that the GXP's V8 has (323 lb/ft vs. V6's 273 lb/ft)... it's quick, but not quite as 'snap your head back' quick as the GXP. Just trying to help since I had, and loved , a GXP. So, take this for what it's worth, and do whatever works for you.

To the OP - If you're going to use it as a daily driver, why not sell the jeep to help make up for the cost of the 1SS and buy a set of winter tires from tirerack for the winter months? I guess this would only make sense if you could get at least a couple of grand out of the jeep. Otherwise, there's no shame in the v6 it's just as nice of a car and still fast - just not as fast as the v8 . Like I said to the GXP guy, you've got to do what works for you, all things considered. You might even consider this, which is what I did... I sold my GXP, and bought a used fusion to be my DD. Paid it off and now have a reliable DD that's not on the verge of death or costing me tons of $ (still under warranty). Do that, and you'll have as much time as you need to save the $ you need to put down on what you really want - it's just a matter of being patient long enough to make it all happen, which, I KNOW, is very difficult. (this whole process started 2 years ago for me, when I decided that I HAD to have a 2SS)

Regardless of what you decide, good luck!
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
myss

Drives: 1ss/rs rally yellow blk strips 6spd
In about 20 yrs your gonna wish you got the SS,If your bank loan expires you will get another one just wait the 6 weeks or I bet a million when you tell the dealer "I cant do it now he will sell you the 1SS.The 2011's are coming out they have to move the 2010's.I drive a 1ss 6m paid 33,207 with upgrades and RS package.My buddy bought a 2lt ,and traded it in for a 1ss 6 months later .He said "I should have just bought what i wanted in the first place I would have saved money" Good luck .
myss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
There was never any question for me...SS...M6...nothing else would do. Are the dealers you're talking to offering any discounts? I got money off for being a USAA member and for having an account at an approved credit union.
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote