Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Exhaust question

I will be changing the exhaust on my L99 shortly. While I know what the physical difference is between a cat back and an axel back system, what are the performance, sound, etc. differences? Are there any recommendations on what sounds best?

As a side note, I have read many complaints about the AFM and aftermarket kits, so I know that swapping exhaust will probably make it easier to hear AFM turning on and off. Eventually, I will probably invest in an LS3 conversion, but that will be father the warranty expires.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
brettsimons

Drives: 2011 Automatic Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I will be changing the exhaust on my L99 shortly. While I know what the physical difference is between a cat back and an axel back system, what are the performance, sound, etc. differences? Are there any recommendations on what sounds best?

As a side note, I have read many complaints about the AFM and aftermarket kits, so I know that swapping exhaust will probably make it easier to hear AFM turning on and off. Eventually, I will probably invest in an LS3 conversion, but that will be father the warranty expires.
Well if all you care about is the sound then all you need is an axle back system or if you wanted to you could even just buy the mufflers and cut and weld them yourself and save a lot of money! Unless you are getting new headers and want to increase the diameter of the tubing or get a resonator x pipe, then I don't really see a reason to get a cat back...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
brettsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Algeron

I am planning on adding a CAI system and changing the exhaust. For now, I have no plans on swapping headers.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Just an FYI. You don't have to do an LS3 conversion. You can always just tune it and disable AFM at that time. Personally AFM sucks when you go aftermarket exhaust. Way more noticeable.

You will gain virtually zero power with a catback or axleback. Only thing you will gain is sound. If you don't want to tune it and plan to deal with the AFM then get some J pipes on whatever you put in.

Or, keep all of it stock and simply get some HFC. That will give a power boost, requires no tune and won't be horrible if you keep the stock catback.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
brettsimons

Quote:
I am planning on adding a CAI system and changing the exhaust. For now, I have no plans on swapping headers.
Just a heads up, if you are thinking about getting a loud exhaust, you'll more than likely experience drone so you should research into j pipes! They work miracles and I speak from experience!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettsimons View Post
Just a heads up, if you are thinking about getting a loud exhaust, you'll more than likely experience drone so you should research into j pipes! They work miracles and I speak from experience!

I wouldn't really say I want a "loud" exhaust. I just want the car to have a voice. Currently, my 98 and 91 sound better (to me) than the 11. The only thing that was changed on them was adding a Flowmaster muffler.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Algeron

I have never paid attention to j pipes before. Is this what you mean?

http://solo-performance.com/axle-bac...-convertiblkit

If so, who is a good vendor?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
brettsimons

Quote:
I have never paid attention to j pipes before. Is this what you mean?

http://solo-performance.com/axle-bac...-convertiblkit

If so, who is a good vendor?
That's exactly what I mean and any of the forum sponsors I would recommend as a vendor! I got my headers from Juiced1 but unless you want that solo exhaust, they can be installed pretty easily by most muffler/exhaust shops so I would buy what you like and then see if there is any drone, then get the j pipes if you need them! I got the dynomax 3" cat back exhaust system (it has a glass pack muffler) and now my car roars! Its a monster and also had some monster drone until I put the j pipes on, now there is no done so don't make done a limiting factor on the exhaust you want. Also try and listen to some exhausts in person to get an idea of how loud you want your exhaust to be because YouTube just doesn't cut it! I used YouTube when buying mine and now I have an extremely loud exhaust instead of one like the Dynomax VT muffler which I originally wanted but I'm happy with what I have (because I'm not putting more money into just my exhaust) but kind of wish I got something a little quieter... Especially when I start my car in the mornings!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
TRABlackCamaroSS

Drives: '10 Blk Camaro SS/'08 Blk Silverado
Got L99 engine & this is what i just got in from Solo....Mach XL catback w/J pipes..best fix for the drone & AFM problem
good Luck
Attached Images

TRABlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Algeron

Does having a vert matter? I only ask since I saw they offer a vert kit. I also have to get the different ends due to the ground effect kit.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You won't be disappointed with Solo Performance.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
Another vote for SOLO axle-backs!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRABlackCamaroSS View Post
Got L99 engine & this is what i just got in from Solo....Mach XL catback w/J pipes..best fix for the drone & AFM problem
good Luck
Hope you can post a video or sound clip of how it sounds when you get it installed.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
i just put a magnaflow competition muffler delete on my l99 also installed a k@n cai...the magnaflow has 5 inch exhaust tips that really look good ,its full stainless and guranteed for life..it sounds great..gives your car a nice rumble without being to loud..i think there is a thread on here somewhere that gives you video sound clips..i listened to all of them and decided on the magnaflow ,im very glad i did
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, l99