Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
What will a GM dealer exactly do when programming TPMS sensors on the car?Wont Reset!

I took the Orange Aftermarket sensors out and I adapted 4 brand new GM Schrader 315mhz sensors to work on my 3 piece step lip rims. they fit perfectly and lay flush.

I hit the stalk to reset. The horn beeped then 2 min later all the PSI showed in my display. When I went to each tire to let air out it didn't beep the horn like the owners manual suggest.

So when the display showed the data i drove and 10 min into the drive the Fault shows up and all data in display goes blank.

Now I plan to get the car over to the dealer in a few weeks and I wanted to know if the dealer uses some sort of OBD2 device to program the sensors to the car when new sensors are used.

I am sure this may have been asked before but I could not seem to find it in the search archives.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Don't take it to the dealer. You probably didn't let air out for a long enough time frame. Their is no other part or sensor needed to program.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Try it again, follow the owner's manual directions word for word. Are those the exact part number sensors for that car? If it doesn't work following the owner's manual instructions something is wrong. The dealer method does the exact same thing, just uses a tool to activate the sensor instead of the pressure loss method.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
55Designs

Not sure but this was the same issue with the Orange aftermarket sensors which made me buy new OEM ones. Yes I ordered according to my VIN

our car was disabled for the last 3 months since i had the wheels out for refinishing and the roads too bad to drive.

Should I try a battery reset? its just odd how it picked up the exact PSI just from sitting in the car yet it lost it after 10 min.

I had 38 PSI and let enough air out to drop to 20PSI and I still didnt get a horn beep. Do I need to let it go almost flat or something?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Been in your shoes, just couldn't get the reset to work per the manual. Your dealer should have a tpms reader that resets them. They just hold it near the valve stem hit a button and voilą, good to go. Took about a minute to walk around the car.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Been in your shoes, just couldn't get the reset to work per the manual. Your dealer should have a tpms reader that resets them. They just hold it near the valve stem hit a button and voilą, good to go. Took about a minute to walk around the car.
yeah I heard about a wand tool that wakes the sensor up when they are new. I guess this is what has to be done. Not one single tire shop within 50 miles of me has this tool go figure. I might even try to buy one for my shop from the Tire Rack it might be worth having around to save us from the dealer for our cars and customer cars. I have to stop in and see the exact tool they have at my dealer when i pick up parts this week.

just so annoying to be honest i wish the whole TPMS could be disabled since I have a spare, plug kit and compressor out back.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
dmartin7700

Drives: convertible
that happened to mine i just bought a new one and had it put in
dmartin7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
I don't understand the 2 min wait you mentioned on the steps.

1. Hit reset on the TPMS screen, it will honk
2. Immediately start at the front driver wheel, let air out until it honks
3. Follow around car clockwise, doing same thing
4. when the last wheel (driver rear) is done, it will honk twice.

I believe Tire Rack sells an inexpensive TPMS reset tool. They are worth having, just to avoid dealer or tire store visits. The Ateq VT5. Their site says only Corvette/Caddy, but the manufacturer site says it works for all brands of sensors.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=1214

http://www.tpms-tool.com/TPMS-tool-ATEQVT5.php

Tony
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
yeah I heard about a wand tool that wakes the sensor up when they are new. I guess this is what has to be done. Not one single tire shop within 50 miles of me has this tool go figure. I might even try to buy one for my shop from the Tire Rack it might be worth having around to save us from the dealer for our cars and customer cars. I have to stop in and see the exact tool they have at my dealer when i pick up parts this week.

just so annoying to be honest i wish the whole TPMS could be disabled since I have a spare, plug kit and compressor out back.
I bought sensors off of another member for my winter tires. Didn't need any fancy activation equipment. Just programmed them as per the manual.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Waiting 2 minutes doesn't sound right. Parking brake, ignition on, press set to relearn the sensors, 2 horn beeps, immediately go to the LF tire and start letting air out. If the horn beeps in 30 seconds or so, go to the next tire. If the horn doesn't beep, it didn't recognize you lowering the LF tire.

Try it with two people, immediately start lowering the LF tire right after the 2 beeps. Leave the one person in the car to hit the button. Then don't do anything - open a door or anything, just immediately start lowering the LF pressure. Also make sure no other cars are close by with tire sensors. Could be picking those up during the relearn.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Waiting 2 minutes doesn't sound right. Parking brake, ignition on, press set to relearn the sensors, 2 horn beeps, immediately go to the LF tire and start letting air out. If the horn beeps in 30 seconds or so, go to the next tire. If the horn doesn't beep, it didn't recognize you lowering the LF tire.

Try it with two people, immediately start lowering the LF tire right after the 2 beeps. Leave the one person in the car to hit the button. Then don't do anything - open a door or anything, just immediately start lowering the LF pressure. Also make sure no other cars are close by with tire sensors. Could be picking those up during the relearn.

Did all of the above it just beeps 2 times and no matter what it wont beep anymore but it will pick up the pSI in the dash display. I will call my wholesale rep at Tire Rack in the AM and see what device they suggest to buy. Hope its not $1000 tool.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
Did all of the above it just beeps 2 times and no matter what it wont beep anymore but it will pick up the pSI in the dash display. I will call my wholesale rep at Tire Rack in the AM and see what device they suggest to buy. Hope its not $1000 tool.
I'm telling you. You don't need a special tool.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
55Designs

Wow just $8o thanks Tony for posting this its worth just buying it to try and if it didnt work they will take it back for sure. I can test it on a few 2011 CTS-V we have in the shop, a 2010 Mercedes SL63 and the Camaro this week. Il report back if we dont get slammed with more snow.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
55Designs

regarding the 2min I meant while I was letting air out for almost 2min waiting for it to sound the horn which it never did after 2min elapsed and 20 PSI drop.Our tech Mike was sitting in the car with door shut and said the display showed the PSI for all 4 tires and it never beeped again when I went from wheel to wheel. We must have tried this 15 times with the same result. All I do know is when the car had the OEM wheels it worked as the owners manual suggested with the aftermarket wheels it never worked properly