Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #43
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
on my g35, i had the valve body sent out to a company that adjusted it to make it shift MUCH fatser. It would snap into 2nd & 3rd, with my TT setup I could burn rubber into 3rd gear...

the corvettes have alot of aftermarket help with the auto's, they have really dropped shift times on regular vette autos with computer managment...
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #44
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The one feature I think the automatic does need is a good sport mode, where it downshifts more willingly, upshifts later, and shifts more firmly. In a lot of cars that have this feature, a lot of reviewers preferred it to manual shifting.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
The one feature I think the automatic does need is a good sport mode, where it downshifts more willingly, upshifts later, and shifts more firmly. In a lot of cars that have this feature, a lot of reviewers preferred it to manual shifting.
I was under the assumption it did have this feature....

Maybe I was wrong though....
In the Corvette, you shift down into the manual gate; but if you don't click the paddles -- then you're in sport mode. Which = quicker, more aggressive shift pattern, and it hold gears longer (for turns). I thought this was the case in the Camaro...hm...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #46
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Great if that applies to us too, but I haven't seen any mention of it, and I don't think it is likely they would forget to put anything having to do with "Sport" in the info released.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #47
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I thought it had all that stuff and when you downshifted it blipped the throttle. I could've swore I saw someone say that...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #48
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I was under the assumption it did have this feature....

Maybe I was wrong though....
In the Corvette, you shift down into the manual gate; but if you don't click the paddles -- then you're in sport mode. Which = quicker, more aggressive shift pattern, and it hold gears longer (for turns). I thought this was the case in the Camaro...hm...
the Camaro automatic has the same system as the G8, the hyrdomatic system.

in this system, you put the car into 'manual' mode, but like the corvette, you dont actualy shift, when you do that, the car goes into sport mode. if you do shift, it leaves sport mode, and goes to manual mode.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #49
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
I've been telling you guys all along that the manual shifting on the car won't be a replacement for a manual transmission. And an experienced driver with a stick will be able to utilize a car's power better on any kind of track. Drag, autocross or track. Even with recalibration it still won't be a substitute for a manual. You'll have to get you a dual clutch like a VW or an F1 style automated manual. Hyrdamatic systems are inherently limited. Not saying their bad automatic transmissions, they just won't have the performance capability of the manual.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #50
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
right...the auto won't shear off the axle stubs at will like a manual can.
Wheel hop and then broken stuff is always a good way to end a track session.
There are always trade offs guys.

You can "FORCE" the car to do more then it was designed to do....but do you really want to?

The engine and the transmission (auto) are in comunication....if the engine is putting out too much for tolerances...the trany will "ask" to ease up the timing...and does..then goes back to full out. that's for preservation.

Example: you Wife or girlfriend is in the pool...you are out of the pool.
She asks you to give her a hand out of the water.
do you snatch her out so hard and fast that it pulls her arm out of socket or off completely.....
Just because you can...should you?

(no...you want to be able to have a civil evening and continue to enjoy her company)

same with the car.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #51
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
WoW. I may go off topic for a second, but im thinking of sticking with the idea of going for the auto for two significant reasons:

1. while my sessions with my manual trans '85 z28 were fun(RIP) , i don't think i ever got the hang of shiftin tha darn thing correctly! and this may have contributed to the tranny problems that later came up.
2. NONE of my friends drive stick! Im one hell of a drinker and drinkin n drivin IS out of the question...

In conclusion,
I dont deem myself worthy of the manual transmission! Slow or Not, Automatic Tap Shift it izzz

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #52
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I have been driving a Pedderised and ProCharged G8 since February. The automatic is sluggish in stock trim for the G8 in the opinion of most sports car owners because it has been tuned for smooth shifting and fuel economy. It does seem to improve as it adjusts to your driving in sport mode. That wasn't good enough for me and it won't be for many owners. HP Tuning software is the answer.The 1st to 2nd gear up-shift on wide open throttle now shreds the rear tires and leaves a 15' black patch on the pavement.

After a very hard testing session at Gingerman Raceway and another 1K of normal driving we drained the tranny fluid. I do run a rather large cooler, but there was minimal change in the fluid, a very good sign. Frequent fluid changes and coolers really help reduce the abuse I head on my cars.

My GUESS is the Camaro automatic will be a bit more crisp because it is the nature of the car. Just as the ZETA chassis was tweaked for the Camaro, so will other elements of the car be tweaked to match the character of the car and the demands of the drivers.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #53
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
right...the auto won't shear off the axle stubs at will like a manual can.
Wheel hop and then broken stuff is always a good way to end a track session.
There are always trade offs guys.

You can "FORCE" the car to do more then it was designed to do....but do you really want to?

The engine and the transmission (auto) are in comunication....if the engine is putting out too much for tolerances...the trany will "ask" to ease up the timing...and does..then goes back to full out. that's for preservation.

Example: you Wife or girlfriend is in the pool...you are out of the pool.
She asks you to give her a hand out of the water.
do you snatch her out so hard and fast that it pulls her arm out of socket or off completely.....
Just because you can...should you?

(no...you want to be able to have a civil evening and continue to enjoy her company)

same with the car.
Fancy meeting you here. How are you?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #54
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
...NONE of my friends drive stick!
Even your girlfriends?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #55
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Fancy meeting you here. How are you?
Pretty good Pete...how about yourself??
Economies got my numbers down...but not "out" anyways...

You doin goat run 08 in Vegas this year?
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #56
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Pretty good Pete...how about yourself??
Economies got my numbers down...but not "out" anyways...

You doin goat run 08 in Vegas this year?
The economy has numbers down every where. We are in the lucky group of companies that are actually growing this year. Put another way, we are working even harder than last year to maintain the same growth rate. If it doesn't kill us, it will make us stronger, right?

We are a sponsor and I think I'll be able to make it out. Will you be there?

Sorry about going off topic here.