Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #9143
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Thanks guys,

So it appears this all goes back to a failed O2 sensor... We'll get it fixed and move on... March is another Mile.... and I'm officially number 2 now...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #9144
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Strange one...but onwards and upwards. And always a bit more push when trying to beat someone else rather than push your own records.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #9145
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Thanks guys,

So it appears this all goes back to a failed O2 sensor... We'll get it fixed and move on... March is another Mile.... and I'm officially number 2 now...
So what time do you have to beat?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #9146
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So what time do you have to beat?
At the moment the record is 226.3... 1/2 mph faster than my time was... I'll get it back... Only to have someone take it away again at some point...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #9147
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Strange one...but onwards and upwards. And always a bit more push when trying to beat someone else rather than push your own records.
Yup...

Old 12-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #9148
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

OK, so while Corey was at PRI, he got an update on my motor... The bearings throughout are good, great as a matter of fact...

The cylinder walls, some substantial scuffing in #5 if I remember correctly... There is a broken ring land and when the ring bent up into the cylinder, it scored it, but it's very shallow... Less than .005ths... So, on that front, a good .005 hone, and a new set of pistons/rings...

Heads, there is some damage to both heads that can/will be reworked, new valves and carry on... The motor is at ERL, and the heads are at AllPro....

We also may be making a few changes to the drivetrain, but nothing in stone yet...

Stay tuned.....

Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #9149
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
OK, so while Corey was at PRI, he got an update on my motor... The bearings throughout are good, great as a matter of fact...

The cylinder walls, some substantial scuffing in #5 if I remember correctly... There is a broken ring land and when the ring bent up into the cylinder, it scored it, but it's very shallow... Less than .005ths... So, on that front, a good .005 hone, and a new set of pistons/rings...

Heads, there is some damage to both heads that can/will be reworked, new valves and carry on... The motor is at ERL, and the heads are at AllPro....

We also may be making a few changes to the drivetrain, but nothing in stone yet...

Stay tuned.....
Good update... See mod section for my latest..
Old 12-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #9150
stevieturbo

Good to hear it's nothing too serious.

I've my own apart for a check over at the minute. Pistons are all good, some bores have light scuffing, nothing I'll worry about though. Rings all good too.

More amazed the oil squirters are still intact though. When I put it together, these were never designed with a stroker crank in mind ! Between rod hitting the nozzle and piston skirt at BDC hitting the nozzles....after some bending of the nozzles and clearancing of the piston skirts, some had as little as 30thou clearance when I put it together 2 years ago.
Was fully expecting to find lots of the jets lying in the oil pan. But amazingly it's all good.

Strangely my intake valves all measured slightly longer than spec'd, with a couple around 10thou longer. Sounds small, but very repeatably measurable. So I bought new valves and true enough mine have definitely stretched. Although they are some 8 years old ( prob only 15k or so though )

Some might say hydraulic cams are better....but if it wasnt for the LLSR I have, I would never even have noticed a valve length changing, so here I see a solid roller as a good thing.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #9151
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
headed that way short'ly....

Quote:
Good to hear it's nothing too serious.

I've my own apart for a check over at the minute. Pistons are all good, some bores have light scuffing, nothing I'll worry about though. Rings all good too.

More amazed the oil squirters are still intact though. When I put it together, these were never designed with a stroker crank in mind ! Between rod hitting the nozzle and piston skirt at BDC hitting the nozzles....after some bending of the nozzles and clearancing of the piston skirts, some had as little as 30thou clearance when I put it together 2 years ago.
Was fully expecting to find lots of the jets lying in the oil pan. But amazingly it's all good.

Strangely my intake valves all measured slightly longer than spec'd, with a couple around 10thou longer. Sounds small, but very repeatably measurable. So I bought new valves and true enough mine have definitely stretched. Although they are some 8 years old ( prob only 15k or so though )

Some might say hydraulic cams are better....but if it wasnt for the LLSR I have, I would never even have noticed a valve length changing, so here I see a solid roller as a good thing.
Funny how some things survive and others don't...

You sporting some serious valve springs or spinning the thing so high you're stressing the valve stems... That's quite amazing...

I'm a fan of the solid roller myself... Especially as high as my cam lift is and as fast as we spin the motor... Having said that, I'm also a huge fan of the Jesel valve train components... It gives me a feeling of comfort in that department... I've seen too many broken rockers and springs come through the shop...

Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #9152
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:

I'm a bit jealous... butthead... Good on you...

Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #9153
stevieturbo

Not really..I'd say it's mostly down to heat. Any cams I've used etc have all been pretty mild. I like a smooth idle.

Although...I've only been LLSR for 2 years and I cant comment at what length the valves were prior to this. Using Ferrea 6000's so should be a decent intake valve and I replaced them with the same ( and inconel exhausts that oddly all measure slightly shorter than spec'd lol so not changing them )
It was only after the one standing 1km run I got this year I noticed the clearances tighten up on a couple of cylinders ( only got 1 run, clutch started slipping after )

So I would think the valve stretch has simply been over time and chamber heat related, but only became noticeable with the solid roller as you have a reference point. ie valve clearances.
Although LLSR aims for around 10thou when warm, I may run these a little larger this time around.

Pump fuel ( and meth ) and long duration pulls do generate more heat than expensive race fuels etc so I'm putting it mostly down to that.

Race fuel is mega expensive here, and certainly no 2wd car even comes close at those events, the only cars to run quicker now are some of the GTR's ( all on race fuel or C85 )
So I think it's even more comical to drive there...and run on pump fuel and still beat most of them whilst driving a 35 year old car.

That said, I may consider some race fuel for 2017, purely as I really want to try and hit 200mph in 1km. I'm only 7mph shy, and for 2017 I've opted for a bigger cam and trying larger turbine housings, so between those I think that might just give me enough to do it, and for one event I can suffer the cost for a drum or two of some race fuel.
I had no backpressure issues...but that little hole inside the turbine housings always bothered me ! So trying a little larger.
One some 4cyl cars I've swapped housings, larger ones just seem to spool the same but make more power up top. So I think it will be a good test.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #9154
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Not really..I'd say it's mostly down to heat. Any cams I've used etc have all been pretty mild. I like a smooth idle.

Although...I've only been LLSR for 2 years and I cant comment at what length the valves were prior to this. Using Ferrea 6000's so should be a decent intake valve and I replaced them with the same ( and inconel exhausts that oddly all measure slightly shorter than spec'd lol so not changing them )
It was only after the one standing 1km run I got this year I noticed the clearances tighten up on a couple of cylinders ( only got 1 run, clutch started slipping after )

So I would think the valve stretch has simply been over time and chamber heat related, but only became noticeable with the solid roller as you have a reference point. ie valve clearances.
Although LLSR aims for around 10thou when warm, I may run these a little larger this time around.

Pump fuel ( and meth ) and long duration pulls do generate more heat than expensive race fuels etc so I'm putting it mostly down to that.

Race fuel is mega expensive here, and certainly no 2wd car even comes close at those events, the only cars to run quicker now are some of the GTR's ( all on race fuel or C85 )
So I think it's even more comical to drive there...and run on pump fuel and still beat most of them whilst driving a 35 year old car.

That said, I may consider some race fuel for 2017, purely as I really want to try and hit 200mph in 1km. I'm only 7mph shy, and for 2017 I've opted for a bigger cam and trying larger turbine housings, so between those I think that might just give me enough to do it, and for one event I can suffer the cost for a drum or two of some race fuel.
I had no backpressure issues...but that little hole inside the turbine housings always bothered me ! So trying a little larger.
One some 4cyl cars I've swapped housings, larger ones just seem to spool the same but make more power up top. So I think it will be a good test.
Dammit Man, 200 mph in one kilometer puts you not too far behind me... I've been 187 at the half mile... with very anemic launches.... Hopefully some changes are coming soon that will help me in that area, I'm hoping to hit 205-210 at least in the half mile... Gotta get this power to the ground and use every available inch of track to accomplish it...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #9155
stevieturbo

I'm around 182/183 at the half so far, 193mph at 1km. Although being on an airfield, my 1/4's are very poor, but usually in the 145mph range

It would have went faster this year, except the clutch started slipping and with hindsight the other aspect that hurt me was I just used road tyres this year as they seemed to be gripping better than the MT DR's. But they are also smaller diameter which hurt my gearing. I only realised this after the event looking at logs, had completely forgot about that aspect at the time ! lol

I've bigger tyres to use next year that'll keep them closer to the 26" MT's, trying larger turbine housings and a slightly bigger camshaft so it should pull the rpm's better. Although I'm still only aiming for around 7-7300, nothing like the rpm's you spin. If I can make mine pull harder up there again it should offer me a huge improvement.

I still havent figured out best approach to gaining speed over distance. I know on the road my car will accelerate faster from say 80-140 just using 4th...than it does going through 3, 4. Some of that is traction related, some maybe lost in a gearchange etc.
But it does beg the question, and it isnt something I've tested....to achieve a higher ET over distance, might I be better getting into a higher gear sooner and let the torque to the work, or take the conventional approach and just go flat out through all gears ? ( 5th takes me to 200+ ok )

Obviously for this sort of stuff, we arent concerned so much about elapsed time, so I think things are a little different, it just isnt something I've experimented much with.

Slight change of topic....I enjoyed this video of a recent 1km event in Aussie land, they seem to race for elapsed time and trap speed. Some cool machines there

Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #9156
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I'm around 182/183 at the half so far, 193mph at 1km. Although being on an airfield, my 1/4's are very poor, but usually in the 145mph range

It would have went faster this year, except the clutch started slipping and with hindsight the other aspect that hurt me was I just used road tyres this year as they seemed to be gripping better than the MT DR's. But they are also smaller diameter which hurt my gearing. I only realised this after the event looking at logs, had completely forgot about that aspect at the time ! lol

I've bigger tyres to use next year that'll keep them closer to the 26" MT's, trying larger turbine housings and a slightly bigger camshaft so it should pull the rpm's better. Although I'm still only aiming for around 7-7300, nothing like the rpm's you spin. If I can make mine pull harder up there again it should offer me a huge improvement.

I still havent figured out best approach to gaining speed over distance. I know on the road my car will accelerate faster from say 80-140 just using 4th...than it does going through 3, 4. Some of that is traction related, some maybe lost in a gearchange etc.
But it does beg the question, and it isnt something I've tested....to achieve a higher ET over distance, might I be better getting into a higher gear sooner and let the torque to the work, or take the conventional approach and just go flat out through all gears ? ( 5th takes me to 200+ ok )

Obviously for this sort of stuff, we arent concerned so much about elapsed time, so I think things are a little different, it just isnt something I've experimented much with.

Slight change of topic....I enjoyed this video of a recent 1km event in Aussie land, they seem to race for elapsed time and trap speed. Some cool machines there

Yeah the gearing is always a big gamble for the poor boy teams... self sponsored... I could get shorter gears and have much better speeds across the board, but then where do you run out of gear and rpm's...

At the redline in 5th, with my gearing and tire size, it works out to 299.X mph... So, I'm giving up a lot in first gear as my motor is anemic until 6K rpm's. There is one video, where its like I'm leaving the line going to get milk... until about 65 mph and 6000 rpm, then all hell breaks loose and its off to the races... I'm guessing it's about the 1/8 mile where it finally starts working, so say 65-70 mph at the 1/8th and 150ish at the 1/4... Obviously these are not hard numbers... I don't know if I linked the record pass video in here or not... It's on youtube... I'll go back and look... but you can see and hear how bad it is off the line and then it's like a truck ran into me once she gets in the power band... We are also looking at improving the shift times without loosing boost... That kills me, shift, slowly due to the RPM's and then having to wait for it to get back into boost... I don't lose it every time, but if a gear is missed my tendency is to lift and let the rpm's settle, boost-be-gone time...

We have talked about shorter gears but figure better gear options for the transmission may be the way to go since I already freely spin the tires at any gear and speed through a mile course.... Improve the launch, and let traction control do it's thing the rest of the way.... And.... the Texas Mile is moving to a new track for March, so if my car is ready it's a whole new learning curve... and I'm hoping better traction... We know its a much smoother track... That'll help...

And what a trip it would be if you and I shipped our cars to Aussie land and ran down there... I would have a blast... Got lots of friends and co-workers literally all over the country...

Tags
225.8, camaro of the week, drive shaft specialists of tx, dss, erl, henderson performance tech, i am second, rockland standard gear, slayer billet quad carbon, texas mile, the circle, tracspec motorsports, twin turbos, w-bar's lord satchmo of lazy d