Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Calling all SCCA SOLO rules Gurus!

I am considering running my 2014 1LE in SCCA autocross next season and had some questions about what modifications would put me in which class. Currently I only have a Cold Air Intake which I can swap back to the stock airbox in about 15 minutes time and that should put me in F Street where I understand that 1LE's are very competitive. However I am also interested in making a few modifications to the car for HPDE events throughout the year but this could have consequences on my autocross classification. How would the following modifications affecting my classing?
  • Would additions like the Z/28 Brake Duct kit and the Z/28 Differential cooler affect which class I would compete in?
  • What about any of the BMR suspension components, specifically bushing kits that would swap out the stock rubber bushings for polyurethane?
  • Where would I likely end up if I went crazy and upgraded to the Z/28 DSSV suspension kit I have seen available? I know there are some acceptions in the rulebook for replacing parts from other models but the Z/28 to my knowledge is not currently in any autocross class so I have no idea if this is even remotely possible.
  • And finally would mostly cosmetic modifications have any affect such as ZL1 rockers or a Z/28 rear diffuser?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
anything you listed would bump you out of stock, er, street class. (sorry, i am old and stock was called stock for 40 years, and now it is called street... argh!)

remember, if it does not say you can do it, you can't. there is no parts swapping across different models allowed. the z28 is classed in Astreet, against the c6 z06 where it does not stand a chance.

if you do not care about where you are classed, then by all means do what you want to the car. but, if you want to be competitive, you will need to keep the mods off the car. locally this does not matter so much, but as you get toward the pointy end of the stick, your car will be scrutinized.

most of the mods you listed would put you in ESP or SM. ESP would be a great place to play, but in SM you have zero chance. I am basing these opinions off of running SM nationally for 9 years. at the local level, it is not so much car prep as it is driver.
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
You may also qualify for STU if you keep the 285 width tires. However, you are against STI's and EVO's in STU. And you weigh considerably more than they do on the same 285's.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
If you are going to do all that then just buy a ZL1 and run stock. It already has what it needs and plenty of power.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
BruHop

ZL1's are not as competitive in AS against the Corvette's. In every class there are only a few cars capable of winning (with comparable drivers of course). Check the National Solo Finals and see which cars are the ones to have if you are interested in the top competition in each class.

You will see the Camaro 1LE is at the top of its class, Mustangs, and M3's are the others. More Camber, tires and a stiffer rear sway. No other Mods necessary.

There are plenty of cars that just compete, its fun. But they are not the fastest "cars" in class. The Camaro 1LE in FS is fighting for the best time in class!

Last edited by BruHop; 11-14-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
If you want to make a bunch of random mods and run street tires consider running CAM, which is Classic American Muscle. There are basically few rules to adhere to. But at least you'll be running against somewhat similar cars in size that are rear wheel drive. Being competitive may be another matter depending on what you run against in your area and how far you go with your mods or in other words how big your wallet is..That being said, if you want to ever have a chance to be truly competitive stay in F Street.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruHop View Post
You may also qualify for STU if you keep the 285 width tires. However, you are against STI's and EVO's in STU. And you weigh considerably more than they do on the same 285's.
incorrect. although there is a 285 width limit on 2wd cars in STU, the AWD cars have a width limit of 245.

doesn't matter though, the sti/evo will crush the big chebby...
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknee View Post
incorrect. although there is a 285 width limit on 2wd cars in STU, the AWD cars have a width limit of 245.

doesn't matter though, the sti/evo will crush the big chebby...
Youre correct. The STI - Evos and the FRS are tough to compete against in STU. I have tried all year. I can hold my own on the longer & faster courses but the tight ones kick my butt. Going to 285s on all four comers with camber plates next year and will see if I can represent the Camaro brethren better. I have been to about a dozen SCCA events this year. I am still the only 5th gen around the autoX scene. Maybe they will bring down the PAX if I keep racing. LOL !!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Egon

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I think just for simplicity's sake I am going to keep it stock when next season starts. No telling if I will stick with it and no sense in spending a lot of money if I am not sure it will be worth it. Also considering how competitive the 1LE is in FS I should probably just stay there.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Honestly, it's hard for even myself to hear, but I think the best advice is to just get seat time, save your money for events and leave the car alone. There was a person at the event I drove in this past weekend with a Nissan Versa running 53 second times, I was running low 52s, lol. Granted this was my first ever auto x, so I could certainly be sub 50s easily with some time. The fact though that a Nissan Versa was running those times simply told me it's all the driver. Once your skill is much better then worry about how to make the car faster, but modifications will not make the driver faster.

That said, I currently register for CAM just not to have to worry about all the mods as well as the tire class since I run my DD tires. The same course I was running 52s our club president was running 46s in his 4.6L Mustang Bullit. I'm not sure what mods he has, but he couldn't have had much sticker tires than me. I was running Invos, he had dunlops of some sort.

If I could do it over again, I think I would have saved the header money and such for track time expenses, and maybe tires. I found out my car is way faster than my skills allow, so adding horsepower has not been beneficial in anyway for me so far. Not to mention, your 1LE already handles like a beast from the factory, I might do some stuff just to bring my car up to the 1LE's level lol. I need to swap shocks because mine are old and getting worn out, so i'll probably do Koni oranges as a replacement. Other than that i'm probably just going to run some 275/35 Michelin PSSs on 4 stock rear wheels to get a little more tire up front and then a set of sways just to get the car the handle more neutral. Although you can compensate for under steer by how you drive the car, so I may just stick with the stock staggered setup and just learn to drive it as is.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Honestly, it's hard for even myself to hear, but I think the best advice is to just get seat time, save your money for events and leave the car alone. There was a person at the event I drove in this past weekend with a Nissan Versa running 53 second times, I was running low 52s, lol. Granted this was my first ever auto x, so I could certainly be sub 50s easily with some time. The fact though that a Nissan Versa was running those times simply told me it's all the driver. Once your skill is much better then worry about how to make the car faster, but modifications will not make the driver faster.

That said, I currently register for CAM just not to have to worry about all the mods as well as the tire class since I run my DD tires. The same course I was running 52s our club president was running 46s in his 4.6L Mustang Bullit. I'm not sure what mods he has, but he couldn't have had much sticker tires than me. I was running Invos, he had dunlops of some sort.

If I could do it over again, I think I would have saved the header money and such for track time expenses, and maybe tires. I found out my car is way faster than my skills allow, so adding horsepower has not been beneficial in anyway for me so far. Not to mention, your 1LE already handles like a beast from the factory, I might do some stuff just to bring my car up to the 1LE's level lol. I need to swap shocks because mine are old and getting worn out, so i'll probably do Koni oranges as a replacement. Other than that i'm probably just going to run some 275/35 Michelin PSSs on 4 stock rear wheels to get a little more tire up front and then a set of sways just to get the car the handle more neutral. Although you can compensate for under steer by how you drive the car, so I may just stick with the stock staggered setup and just learn to drive it as is.
This is excellent advice and I thank you for it. When I got my 1LE last year I had great visions of mods that I would like to do, but without a comprehensive plan or even if I would like autocrossing at all its clear that it is best to wait and see. Since the 1LE is so competitive in F Street that would probably be a great place for me to start and get that much needed seat time. Then with some experience under my belt I can decide if any mods are needed. Next season I should have a work shift that gives me Saturday and Sunday off so I can go both days for events. Thank you everyone for the great advice I really appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
SCCA needs a JFF class.
Just For Fun.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
BruHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
SCCA needs a JFF class.
Just For Fun.
all the classes are JFF. nobody's making money off of it. And the Beer still tastes the same at the end of the day
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
I've always found it tastes better when you win