Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Wildcock247

Drives: 2011 2 SS Camaro
Warranty Question

What can I do to my 2011 Camaro that will not void the warranty? I would like to get a CAI, headers, and exhaust if possible.
Wildcock247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Ask your dealer.

Some dealers won't cover the car if you do anything at all to the car while some will cover the car even with a super charger and a tune. So your best bet is talk to them and see what they allow and get it in writing.

Generally speaking, CAI and cat back exhaust are fine with most dealers while long tube headers are not.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcock247 View Post
What can I do to my 2011 Camaro that will not void the warranty? I would like to get a CAI, headers, and exhaust if possible.
See the bold message in the owners manual about messing with the computer (tuning). And then talk straight with your service manager about what you would "like" to do.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
CIA and axle back exhaust are fine. According to the dealers I talked to headers and a tune would both void the power train warranty. See the tuning discussion page concerning GM's ability to see the tune history on the chip in the V8.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
I live in Canada but my dealer supports the magnuson moss act. Basically you can do whatever you want to the car and they won't void warranty. But if you have a problem with a specific component and they connected your modification as the direct cause of the failed part they will not fix that part under warranty. But say your drivers side power window stops working and you have a supercharger they will fix the window under warranty. Great dealership to deal with imo

The service manager told me all this and he's a friend of my fathers. He said some tunes will void only your power train warranty but he said they can rarely tell if a car has been tuned
Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Ask your dealer.

Some dealers won't cover the car if you do anything at all to the car while some will cover the car even with a super charger and a tune. So your best bet is talk to them and see what they allow and get it in writing.

Generally speaking, CAI and cat back exhaust are fine with most dealers while long tube headers are not.
Incorrect. It's not up to the dealer to determine whats covered or what "they will allow". All warranty claims are processed throught GM and
if you do a tune you should consider your drive train warranty gone.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
do a search.

Please lord, close this thread!!

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Incorrect. It's not up to the dealer to determine whats covered or what "they will allow". All warranty claims are processed throught GM and
if you do a tune you should consider your drive train warranty gone.
Actually I'm correct, feel free to actually do your research before calling someone out. For the most part it is up to the service manager. The only time GM will step up and supersede a service managers decision is if it's a major powertrain repair (such as replacing a engine or tranny). Then they will send a GM rep out and ask for the tune to be read. All other times (about 95%) GM will accept the service managers decision. There are some service managers who will not fill out a warranty request form at all if you have something as simple as a CAI installed but then again you have service managers on the other side of the spectrum who will do warranty work with a supercharger and tune as long as the work is not something major that warrants GM asking for the tune to be read and a rep being sent out.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Like Darco said...

It is usually up to the service manager (and they are all different). I know some here in Orlando that will work it with CAI, Headers, exhaust..anything more than that they get real antzy.

Most here will give a little bit of attitude as well if the vehicle has been tuned. I guess you pay to play...don't you know a car never has issues until a week after the warranty has expired?
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm not calling you out. This has been discussed here a hundred times. Any POWER TRAIN failure may be & or can be denied by GM if you have a tune unless, its a recall issue. You want to fight GM- Go ahead. As for me, I'll leave my car alone.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Exhaust and short tube headers aren't generally a problem. As stated above, check. CAI shouldn't be either, but the caveat there is the possibility of using too much oil when recharging your filter and damaging the MAF sensor, among other things.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
do a search.

Please lord, close this thread!!

here is a thread that has the answers. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119935
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I'm not calling you out. This has been discussed here a hundred times. Any POWER TRAIN failure may be & or can be denied by GM if you have a tune unless, its a recall issue. You want to fight GM- Go ahead. As for me, I'll leave my car alone.
its funnny how people will keep bringing up the "Magnuson-Moss Act" yada yada yada and they have probably never even read the darn thing. However, if you read your manual, it says explicitely what can happen to your warranty if you do this or that.

Bottom line, if you canNOT afford to pay for whatever breaks, don't do anything that "could" void your warranty on the particular part or parts that your mod affects.

But go ahead fight the dealer or GM...I would like to know if you are prepared to spend a lot of time and stress, $$$$$$, and effort to fight GM's corporate lawyers.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote