Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
RoRo

Drives: 2005 Corvette Lemans Blue
Funny dealer story.....

So I visited a local South Florida Chevy dealer to see if they had any Camaros on the lot. I roll up in the Vette with my girlfriend and immediately walk over to to a red SS RS with charcoal stripes, manual and sunroof. Beautiful. The salesman was on us like white on rice.

The car was locked. I told the salesman I'd like to see the inside of the car, could he get the keys, please. After about 10 minutes, he finally finds them, another salesman had them. Funny thing...they had 3 SS out front and 1 inside the showroom. The three out front were locked. Strange, because they were under the overhang.

Anyways, the salesman gets the keys and I sit down in it. The salesman tells me the car is used, as are the other two out front. Used???

He said they have around 300 miles on them. I'm not sure how he got 3 used SS (two manual, 1 auto, 1 RS).

Anyways, I told him that I'll take the car right now for 1,000 under MSRP, seeing as the car is "used".

He goes to talk to his manager and comes back a few minutes later. He tells me that the price is 41k.

I laughed....I said, I can buy a "new" one from various dealers I see online for MSRP. Why would I buy a used one for 5k over MSRP?

He said that the dealer paid more than MSRP for the car, so he has to make his money back. My girlfriend said "then your GM made a bad deal, and he'll have to sell them at some point and take a loss." LOL

The salesman said that somebody will come in and pay over MSRP for it. He said all of those on the road that I've seen...they all payed over MSRP.

I looked at the guy and said "You see that blue Corvette over there, the reason I have that car is because I'm good with money, and I only buy when it's a good deal, and this is not it."

I then followed that up with "when you're serious about selling the car....how about I give you my number and you call me."

Salesman said "sorry, can't do that...somebody will pay what we're asking."

I said good luck and rolled on out.

I understand......dealers are there to make money. However, they had 3 of those cars sitting on the lot....three!!! They would have had two left if they were willing to deal. I just don't get it. I guarantee nobody will pay 41k for that car....no way.

Anyways...I'll just have to keep on shopping.....

Thanks for listening.

Current car: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette coupe...lots of bolt ons....pretty quick
RoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
$3k-$5k over MSRP. I did find a dealership in Hudson Florida who is selling at MSRP, plus GMS, plus the $500 GM 60-day guarantee (they had 3 SS’s and 1 2LT/RS on the lot). I picked up the 2LT/RS this morning.

The sad part is that some dumb ass will pay the sucker sticker some people can care less.

Good luck.
Sean
Old 10-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I have a dealer in a close neighboring town that always seems to have USED Camaro for about 5-7K above MSRP, (remember used cars don't have freight charges so 7K over sticker is really about $8K over!). I wonder if some dealers are getting together secretly and selling cars to each other just to resell them at gouging prices. Here in Canada it is illegal for dealers to sell over MSRP, so that is how they would get around it.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
RJ's SS

Drives: 2010 Bumble Bee SS/RS L99/A6
I just bought mine at a local dealer. I told them I would give the MSRP as they were after $2995 market adjustment! They told me they could not do it that other dealers were asking and getting $5000 over for them all day long.

So I told them fine I would not pay it I could go to other dealers and get it for sticker. The sales manager politely called me a liar. So then I noticed something. The dealership managment had been taken over by one from 6 miles down the road. So I rode down to that dealership and talked to the manager about ordering one. He tried to sell me a white one off the showroom floor and I told him I did not want white. He says well I will order what you want or sell the white one for MRSP! I said thats funny cause the dealership down the road you now run has one I want and called me a liar when I told them other dealers are selling them for MRSP. He said well let him know.

I drive home and 2 hours later the saleman from the first dealership calls and offers to sell the one I want to me for only $2000 over. I said not when I can buy them for MSRP. I got the you can not pitch so I unloaded that the manger from the dealership that was taking them over just tried to sell me one off the lot or order one for me for it.

Surprise!, they called the next day to offer it to me for sticker. LOL I bought it of course.

RJ's SS
RJ's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Bob Steel Chevrolet in Cocoa, FL picked up a bunch of used 2010 Camaros at the auction and he was adding $3000 bumps to the cars.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
White&Orange Camaros

Drives: 1969 & 1997 camaros
Its funny what people will do with there money? A friend of mine bought a 2SS/RS, drove it about 800 miles, than sold it at an auction for 1K more than he paid for it. Can you guess what the dealer that bought it is going to ask for it? I'm sure it’s going to be at least 3K over what he paid for it.

The way I look at it, there are people willing to pay whatever it takes to a have a 2010 Camaro. It's a hot car. While most of the people on this website will not pay over MSRP, There seems to be a lot of people who will. I think it's great that people want a new Camaro and are willing to pay whatever it takes to have one.

For those of us that have waited for this car to return, and better then ever before, it's great to see this much excitement about it. For those that have been able to buy a 2010 Camaro, isn't great to know that right now it seems to be worth more then what you paid for it to the right buyer???
White&Orange Camaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
How can there be used Camaro's on lots already? Are people jumping the gun, buying them and then realizing they can't afford it?

I don't understand
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
I will never pay over MSRP for a car. In fact this is the first car that I would have actually paid MSRP for. Luckily I qualified for the supplier discount. I don't understand why they do this. You could easily go online and find a dealer that sells for MSRP and order from them.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
I will never pay over MSRP for a car. In fact this is the first car that I would have actually paid MSRP for. Luckily I qualified for the supplier discount. I don't understand why they do this. You could easily go online and find a dealer that sells for MSRP and order from them.
Cause some people are too rich/lazy to go looking for a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
A dealer up here tried that. They got a used 1ss auto with 400 miles on it. In June. They started at $43,995. They still have it......... down to $39,995. I am just glad some idiot hasn't went and bought it, I hope they have to sit on that thing till next october.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
DrumDawg

Drives: BumbleBee, 67 Firebird,79 Porsche
Some dealers are buying one, sitting it out by the road, and attracting business. Bob Steel is a bunch of crooks! Warning. Stay away!
3400 = Broadcast:09/14/2009
3800 = Produced:09/17/2009 2G1FK1EJ5A9147250
4000 = Available to ship 28Sept
4200 = Shipped-Rail-Detroit at 3AM on 5Oct, Departed for Miami, Ohio @ 3AM, arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio, 7 Oct 0749 arrived in Louisville Kentucky,at Kane Ave Tenn.@ 8:30PM,left for Wauhatchie, Tennesee 10Oct,Waycross GA10Oct,Jacksonville FL 11 Oct.
5000 = Delivered to the dealer 14Oct09
6000 = Delivered to the customer 17Oct09
DrumDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
Hmmm... selling used camaro's? I find it hard to believe that people are returning them. I ran into the 5-10k over MSRP for new ones back in July all over South Florida. One dealer told me he was buying them from other dealers who were selling at MSRP. Maybe the dealership is putting those miles on since they cant get rid of them with the inflated prices.

Every once in a while the dealers I talked to here send me an email asking if I am still interested.... I send them a pic of my 2SS that I bought at MSRP

Glad to hear you walked out RoRo.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
zerolm

Drives: Ford F-350/ 2SS/RS M6
The dealer in Ocala was up to five in stock last time I stopped. Salesman told me that they were to sell for no less than 5k over. I told him I could drive an hour and a half (Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City) and buy one for MSRP all day long. He politely told me "well, everybody is getting over MSRP"
I told him I hope they sell all five of them for ten grand over, but none of them would be to me. Also, on that same note, do you feel as if you know 10 times as much as these salesmen about this car? I know that they are not obsessed with the car as we are, and that they have many models to keep up with, but this is what they do for a living.
zerolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
I guess its just a job for them? I had the same response from one dealer in an email and I replied "Have you ever heard of Camaro5.com". His response was I remember when I was into cars like that when I was younger????

I thought I was doing him a favor by pointing out there are a lot of good dealerships out there selling at MSRP but it fell on deaf ears.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote