Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Talking My ride in #130, Scott's CTF car!

I know Scott’s a master at writing stories like this, but now I see how he’s able to write the way he does…thoughts and feelings just pop out of nowhere…so bear with me with all the rambling…

Today could not have gotten any better.

Went to school this morning…boring as usual, did nothing in study hall, took an “open-book-group-pop-test” in AP Government…ate three bowls of macaroni and cheese for lunch (if you’ve never had Fenwick High School macaroni, you haven’t lived), sat through a movie in Religion IV, and left school.

Went over to my friend’s house and played Halo 3 for a bit…dominated, of course……went back home, then out again to Red Lobster for my dad’s birthday…

And then…it was time.

I was sitting on the offramp of my exit…stuck in traffic…bored…when my phone rings…and it’s none other than Number 3 telling me he’s on his way…just one hour away…with #130.

Needless to say, I got a little pushy on that offramp after that call…and that damn camry in front of me refused to inch forward.

I get home, grab my camera, pull on a few extra layers (it’s cold all of a sudden)…jumped in the Malibu with my dad and floored it to Thornton’s.

We get there at about 6:25…after a few minutes, my dad decides to go into the store to buy a lottery ticket…gotta get enough money for that Camaro.

I’m sitting in the Malibu, flipping through presets...

…I look up…and suddenly, there he is, cruising down Tylersville Road and turning into Thornton’s…

A Rally Yellow 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS…#130, Scott Settlemire’s CTF car…

He pulls up to a gas pump, and I jump out of the Malibu to meet Number 3 and Mrs. 3…and Scott’s son…

After a few minutes of staring at the sexy thing with a stupid look on my face, Number 3 tells me to go ahead and get in the car…and so I did.

Simply. Amazing.

The interior is perfect. Just perfect. For everyone complaining about the quality, it is perfectly fine. Yes, it is hard plastic, but it is textured and dampened enough so that it doesn’t look cheap and doesn’t feel cheap. It even has a bit of a rubbery feel to it. To you boys and girls at Oshawa, you did one hell of a good job with that interior…fit and finish looks like something out of a Cadillac…no huge panel gaps, rattles, nothing.

Visibility? Not very good. But then again, the Mustang’s isn’t, the Challenger’s isn’t. I could probably have gotten the seat into a better position for me, but I didn’t want to mess up Number 3’s settings. For the most part, I think I could quickly get used to it.

Seats are cushioned enough to be the most comfortable seats I have ever had the pleasure to sit on. Absolutely perfect…and of course, the SS embroidery on the head rests were a great touch…

So Number 3 finishes filling up the tank and drives #130 into a parking space so I could get a better look at it…and here’s where the gawkers come in.

A lady comes out of nowhere with a camera phone, snapping pictures…an old guy driving a Dodge Ram doesn’t even look both ways while crossing from the store to the gas pumps…just kept staring…a 20+ year old could do nothing but stare at the car while walking into the store with his girlfriend…obviously not paying attention to whatever she was saying…

After taking a bunch of pictures, walking around the car a gazillion times, poking my head under the hood…Number 3 asks, “You want to go for a ride?”

And what a ride that was.

Drove out of the gas station and took a right on Kingsgate…a small side street. Number 3 proceeds to show me what that car can do…and let me tell you, that LS3 sounded absolutely amazing. No need for another exhaust system in my opinion…the minute you first hear that LS3 roar, you’ll be smiling for a few hours afterwards…and yes, I’m still smiling. Power was great, the Camaro’s got one hell of a punch that plants you back into your seat while accelerating…best feeling in the world.

Ride and handling was incredible…we couldn’t do much on a side street, but the car was deathly quiet other than the roar of the LS3…usually Kingsgate is hell to drive the Malibu over because of all the bumps and cracks…but I didn’t even feel them in the Camaro. Braking was excellent, had to make a few quick stops a few times and the car stopped right on time.

Followed an old Pontiac Bonneville all the way out of Kingsgate…it was driving pretty slowly so we couldn’t do much about that except rev #130’s LS3 angrily…when we get to the Kingsgate/Cox Road intersection, we’re stuck at a stop sign for sometime…and a Mustang whizzed past…obviously frightened by #130 and desperately galloping the hell out of there to avoid the clutches of his LS3…luckily #130 wasn’t too hungry…would’ve made a nice snack…

Drove back to Thornton’s and pulled into a parking space…took a few more pictures…and then it was time for Number 3 and Mrs. 3 to hit the road again…

On that note…if you drive a Mustang or Challenger and was planning on driving southbound on I-75 tonight anywhere south of Cincinnati, Ohio, please stay to the right…I’m a Camaro and GM enthusiast, but I would hate to see your American cars get eaten…#130 should be getting hungry again by now. Import drivers…feel free to stay in his path.

Overall…best day ever. Thank you so much Number 3 and Mrs. 3 for taking time out of your trip so I could see the car…you have no idea how happy you’ve made me.

And thank you Scott for helping us to keep the faith…thanks to the Camaro team and GM for bringing back this car…thanks to all the employees at Oshawa for building the car…and thanks to all the enthusiasts who made their voices loud enough to convince GM to bring the Camaro back…

It’s been a long, hard road…and it doesn’t look good in the automotive industry right now…but after spending time with the Camaro…after seeing all the future products in GM’s future…I’m more than reassured now. And like I've been telling my parents all night long...I will own that car one day...no matter what it takes, no matter how much I have to work, I will own that car.

Oh, and by the way Scott, #130 says he misses his dad, but that he’s in good hands and having a great time!

Pictures to come in a minute!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65

Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
this is a 1SS or 2SS? looks like a 1SS with RS

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
this is a 1SS or 2SS? looks like a 1SS
It's a 2SS/RS. Had leather.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
oh. ya i guess couldnt see that in any pics. nice review man. i just cant wait for mine, in a 2LT, no big engine....but im still sooo excited!

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
wtf, that's f ing cool.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Ctrain24

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Awesome! Thanks for the review and pics.
Ctrain24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Great post
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Awesome, So lucky!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yea, those midnight silver rims are darker than I thought. Maybe it's just the lighting.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Yea, those midnight silver rims are darker than I thought. Maybe it's just the lighting.
Probably because they are on a bright yellow car And on a nice overcast day in I believe Ohio?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
lol, grand theft out if i was there.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Good write up, very detailed. I can also tell you're young and inexperienced with a variety of cars. Thats not a knock on you, but you could've gone for a ride in a Ferrari and gave the same story. Nice pics though...glad you had fun!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
New2010CamaroLover

Drives: 2015 Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I hate everyone who lives on the east cost! I really do... You guys have been able to see the car... sit in the car... touch the car... feel the car breath on you!!!!!!!!!! I thought the west coast was the "cool" place to be, but as far as camaro's go it SUCKS!! WTF!! Ha ha sorry... Can any one else tell I'm just a ttiiiiiiiiiny bit jealous? Jk, i love you guys, that's awesome you got to enjoy the car. Awesome that Mr. and Mrs. Number 3 are so eager to share!