Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Cold Air Inductions CAI install w/pics

Ok here are the parts before install...things of beauty, really.

Pic of engine bay minus intake cover showing stock system:

Hoses off, air box to come off. The hoses come right off, the airbox...not so much. The
instructions say to disconnect the negative battery cable. Where the **** is that and why? I
skipped that step. Dont know what they are talking about.

The airbox has a nipple on the bottom, and 2 nuts with 2 sided grommets/washers holding it in on the tops. None of them want to come loose, especially the grommets/washers. You gotta wiggle and yank them pretty good to get them out. Use moderate force. Here is a pic of the bottom nipple that goes thru the body, pull straight up to remove.

Everything out now:

New CAI box in. Wriggle it to make it settle in BELOW the level of the engine bay perimeter, it fits perfect once in:

Air tube and hoses now in:

Final install pic:

The installation instructions do not show an '12 install. It appears to be a '10-11 SS? My MAF sensor wire did not have enough wire to go under the tube. It fit perfect though on top. Make sure the small arrow on the MAF points TOWARDS the engine...its directional as stated in other threads. The cover needs to fit under the lip of the engine bay perimeter to look and fit correctly. I needed to reseat the airbox frame slightly to make this happen. The good thing is once its in correctly, everything fits perfect. If it doesnt, you don't have it aligned properly. The elbow on the vent line comes off and CAI provides a short straight piece for reconnecting it. 30-45 minutes TOPS for install. Very easy.

So....the drive. DEFINITELY more snap on throttle and power on the top end. Nice growl while first getting on the gas, then mellow, then above 4k you can really hear the intake honk. More top end for sure, seat of the pants about 10+ HP. 4k-6500 the car is sounding good. Fit is excellent, so is appearance. Very happy.

Last edited by Henry G.; 06-29-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Nice write up.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Henry G.

Thanks! Let us know when you stock the Rx catch can, its my next mod.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Thanks! Let us know when you stock the Rx catch can, its my next mod.
It should be "live" on the website any day now but they are ready to go when you are.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Ok here are the parts before install...things of beauty, really.

Pic of engine bay minus intake cover showing stock system:

Hoses off, air box to come off. The hoses come right off, the airbox...not so much. The
instructions say to disconnect the negative battery cable. Where the **** is that and why? I
skipped that step. Dont know what they are talking about.

The airbox has a nipple on the bottom, and 2 nuts with 2 sided grommets/washers holding it in on the tops. None of them want to come loose, especially the grommets/washers. You gotta wiggle and yank them pretty good to get them out. Use moderate force. Here is a pic of the bottom nipple that goes thru the body, pull straight up to remove.

Everything out now:

New CAI box in. Wriggle it to make it settle in BELOW the level of the engine bay perimeter, it fits perfect once in:

Air tube and hoses now in:

Final install pic:

The installation instructions do not show an '12 install. It appears to be a '10-11 SS? My MAF sensor wire did not have enough wire to go under the tube. It fit perfect though on top. Make sure the small arrow on the MAF points TOWARDS the engine...its directional as stated in other threads. The cover needs to fit under the lip of the engine bay perimeter to look and fit correctly. I needed to reseat the airbox frame slightly to make this happen. The good thing is once its in correctly, everything fits perfect. If it doesnt, you don't have it aligned properly. The elbow on the vent line comes off and CAI provides a short straight piece for reconnecting it. 30-45 minutes TOPS for install. Very easy.

So....the drive. DEFINITELY more snap on throttle and power on the top end. Nice growl while first getting on the gas, then mellow, then above 4k you can really hear the intake honk. More top end for sure, seat of the pants about 10+ HP. 4k-6500 the car is sounding good. Fit is excellent, so is appearance. Very happy.
THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING COLD AIR INDUCTIONS INC.! I am so glad to hear how happy you are with the product, great write up too!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Henry G.

Thanks I will be glad to "test" any of your new products
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Thanks I will be glad to "test" any of your new products
Get in line buddy!! Glad you are happy and appreciate you choosing CAI Inc.!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
So the whole remove the Battery negative connection thing...

If Yes, where? and what will it trip off?

If No, I'll be alot happier.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
So the whole remove the Battery negative connection thing...

If Yes, where? and what will it trip off?

If No, I'll be alot happier.
Like Henry, I skipped that step. There is no negative connection under the hood, that I could find. The instructions (to include photos) were NOT of a 2012 V6 LFX. That's my only complaint - CAI, Inc. needs to update their 2012+ installation directions.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
redleader
redleader

Thanks PalmerGA.

I'm in the UK so don't want to ruin my Camaro 2010 V6 with some electrical trip-out !

If there's a bright center to the Camaro5 universe, I'm in the region that's farthest from a good Dealer.

Last edited by redleader; 07-13-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Like Henry, I skipped that step. There is no negative connection under the hood, that I could find. The instructions (to include photos) were NOT of a 2012 V6 LFX. That's my only complaint - CAI, Inc. needs to update their 2012+ installation directions.
Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not the person who designs or installs these, but to my knowledge the ONLY difference in terms of installation is the shape of the MAF sensor and housing. I know in terms of the CAI itself that is positively the only difference, so I would assume that would fo for installing it as well. Like I said, if there is a specific difference that you are referring to that should be shown in the 2012 instructions please let me know so it can be addressed. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Thanks PalmerGA.

I'm in the UK so don't want to ruin my Camaro 2010 V6 with some electrical trip-out !

If there's a bright center to the Camaro5 universe, I'm in the region that it's farthest from a good Dealer.
Then take our advice and required installation step and disconnect the battery. That eliminates any risk, which is why we list it in the instructions. You would hate to mess something up just to save an extra 15 minutes or so. Let us know if you have any questions about installing it, but the instructions should guide you pretty well! Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
redleader
redleader

Hi Bill, so I should disconnect the Neagtive Terminal from the Battery in the boot (trunk) of my Camaro5 V6 2010?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Great write up!