Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
w!lly

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Exclamation Cold Air Intake and Exhaust Advice/Recommendations

Ok, I am sure there are hundreds of these threads out there but.... I want my own

I'm looking to get a new exhaust and also a cold air intake installed.

I am new to this type of thing and don't really know a lot know about exhausts or intakes . I was told if I bought a new exhaust I might as well get a cold air intake to help push the air flow? Is this true?

I heard many good things about borla exhaust and MRT v2. Anyone have any good recommendations for cold air intakes and/or exhausts? For now, I'm just looking for a deeper more manly sound in my stock v6 camaro. lol

What's the best place to get all of this installed? I am in the Chicagoland area if that helps for any locals out there...

Any other further advice and/or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
w!lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
You will be happy with both mods which ever you choose. It depends on what you want in each item. There is a link to a spread sheet with independent test results comparing the various brands of cold air intake. I don't have hte link but if you search threads about intakes you will find one that has the link posted or send a PM to Apex Chase. I know he has it.

On exhause it really depends on the type of sound you are after. If you want it to sound good under load, at WOT & at start-up but want it relatively quiet at cruise, then you will probably like the Borla like mine. Mine has the Cold Air Inductions intake which I love. Others can comment on exhausts with louder sound. I will post up some pics & a link to a professionally done video clip of mine. There are more videos of mine at WOT drag racing on my youtube channel RubyCamaro5.

Good luck deciding.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Since this is a new thread, I'll ask the question myself. I want a quiet exhaust. This old street racer likes to walk softly and carry a big stick. No doubt the stock mufflers will not cut it when 21st Century does the 525 HP mods or the Edelbrock 610 HP supercharger package. The cam and headers, and high flow cats package probably needs the axle back more than the huffer package.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w!lly View Post
Ok, I am sure there are hundreds of these threads out there but.... I want my own

I'm looking to get a new exhaust and also a cold air intake installed.

I am new to this type of thing and don't really know a lot know about exhausts or intakes . I was told if I bought a new exhaust I might as well get a cold air intake to help push the air flow? Is this true?

I heard many good things about borla exhaust and MRT v2. Anyone have any good recommendations for cold air intakes and/or exhausts? For now, I'm just looking for a deeper more manly sound in my stock v6 camaro. lol

What's the best place to get all of this installed? I am in the Chicagoland area if that helps for any locals out there...

Any other further advice and/or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

WELCOME...............since you have a 2013, you have a LFX Camaro. You will get more help by posting this in the V6 LFX forum section.

As for the intake side of things, there are many good products out there. Just depends on what you want it to look like under your hood, how easy of an install you want to do. As Ruby pointed out APEX can certainly help you with much of this information.

As for the chart, I will post it below from when it was done a few years ago for the LLT engine.

Also, go to the LFX section and read the stickies at the top, this will offer some help with some good ideas.

As for exhaust that too becomes a personal choice. AS Ruby popinted out many of us like what our own set-up sounds like. I have heard hers at Camarofest and it does sound good. I offer mine too for your listening pleasure. I have the many of the bolt ons, and they are listed in my signature, along with a link to my build.

If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Name:  IMG_2434.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  183.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Since this is a new thread, I'll ask the question myself. I want a quiet exhaust. This old street racer likes to walk softly and carry a big stick. No doubt the stock mufflers will not cut it when 21st Century does the 525 HP mods or the Edelbrock 610 HP supercharger package. The cam and headers, and high flow cats package probably needs the axle back more than the huffer package.

You would get better help in the V8 section.............
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
w!lly

Thanks for your input. I think I am gonna go with the mrt v2. Anyone else have the mrt v2 on their camaro? How does it sound and/or look? Anyone have the black matte tips?

Any other cold air intake recommendations?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I think I am gonna go with the mrt v2. Anyone else have the mrt v2 on their camaro? How does it sound and/or look? Anyone have the black matte tips?

Any other cold air intake recommendations?
The MRT v2 is the most popular Camaro V6 system we carry. You should have no problem finding feedback. Below is a video we shot of a customer's car.

The CAI Inc intakes are the most popular intake system we carry for the V6. It sounds great and produces solid gains. The combination is so popular that we have a V6 package with those two items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
For the SS I would recommend the Borla Touring. It is pretty tame but will cut weight and has a nicer tone that stock.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
w!lly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The MRT v2 is the most popular Camaro V6 system we carry. You should have no problem finding feedback. Below is a video we shot of a customer's car.

The CAI Inc intakes are the most popular intake system we carry for the V6. It sounds great and produces solid gains. The combination is so popular that we have a V6 package with those two items.

Excellent! Thank you so much! Would u happen to have direct links to both products for my 13' v6 camaro?

Also, what would be the best types of places for me to have these two mods installed?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Excellent! Thank you so much! Would u happen to have direct links to both products for my 13' v6 camaro?

Also, what would be the best types of places for me to have these two mods installed?
PM sent with links. I would never pay anyone to install the intake. It is very very easy and does not require and special tools. The MRT can be installed by any muffler shop. You don't have to go to a performance shop.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
w!lly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
PM sent with links. I would never pay anyone to install the intake. It is very very easy and does not require and special tools. The MRT can be installed by any muffler shop. You don't have to go to a performance shop.
Thanks so much.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Here's some pics of Roto-Fab intake system! Our intake systems are available in a variety or different colors.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I would go with the Roto-Fab system, but I'm a bit biased since I have one and love it. It would sound even better with the exhaust Apex told you about.

3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote