Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this movie? I saw it for the first time tonight and (this isn't a spoiler if something happens and you ARE interested in seeing it) they dropped a 2.6 L engine from a Nissan Skyline (I looked it up, it was a RB26DETT) in a '67 Mustang!! Needless to say, I laughed my ass off. I had to agree with my boyfriend when he said it was just plain wrong, but STILL. You didn't see them putting a Camaro in the movie and dropping something like that in it, did ya?

But all in all it was a pretty cool movie, if ya get bored sometime or just want a good laugh at a Mustang (lol) you should check it out. I think it's pretty kick@$$ how they drift and everything, there is some cool driving throughout the movie.

Any thoughts on the Stang? (Sorry for the Stang fans on the board lol)
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Hunter330123
Muscle Car Prodigy

Drives: 1973 Chevy Nova
i seen the movie, i thought it was pretty awesome, and for people who dont want to watch it because the dont like tuners, this one reaches the muscle car crowd as well

my nova(underconstuction)
Hunter330123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I liked the driving scenes and action. I saw it the day it came out. Of course when I left the theater I saw somebody trying to drift... right into a ditch.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

I was surprised to see one of the original characters at the end, I thought that was pretty cool. Wish they woulda showed the race though! But I agree I thought it was a pretty good movie, better than I anticipated.

Yeah, I went to the theater and saw 2Fast2Furious and when we were leaving the theater people were trying to drag from the red light...till they met a city cop. Freakin' idiots lol
Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #5
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Yeah that's the downside to these types of movies. You always get ricer idiots driving like jackasses for the first few weeks. I'm stationed in an area where there is a huge car scene, but the cops are really starting to crack down on everybody due to these few bad apples that see a drifting movie and then go drift their FWD cars around mall parking garages with their rear tires on cookie sheets. It's a shame that everybody in the car hobby suffers because of this.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
Any thoughts on the Stang? (Sorry for the Stang fans on the board lol)
Yeah it was blasphemous to put that engine into the stang.

My favorite car in the movie was the Plymouth Roadrunner at the very end

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I have this moron in one of my classes telling me that Nissan Skylines and Toyota Supra's were made and are know for their 1000 hp numbers...I think he's trying to pull a fast one, and my Camaro sense say's he's crackers...What's the deal here?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Rock36
I just like V8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have this moron in one of my classes telling me that Nissan Skylines and Toyota Supra's were made and are know for their 1000 hp numbers...I think he's trying to pull a fast one, and my Camaro sense say's he's crackers...What's the deal here?
Something tells me this guy does not know the entire story, and is being the typical ricer when it comes to these two cars. Anyway here are the basics of what this guy is talking about, and there is some truth to it.

The Toyota Supra is known for reaching very high horsepower numbers because the stock engine block is very very strong, and it also comes from the factory with forged internals. So the bottom end of the Supra is bullet proof so to speak and is known to stand up to insane power numbers.

However, it isn't like every Supra is just a 1000hp car waiting to happen. Like anything else you have to sink a lot of money into it to achieve that level of power. You still have to install a new turbo system to deliver the right PSI (the factory one isn't going to get you 1000hp), the fuel system has to be upgraded, the exhaust has to be upgraded, the suspension etc.

There is no black magic with the supra, it just has a really solid bottom end.

The RB26DETT in the Skylines are similar in that they too have forged internals. So they too can handle extra boost from aftermarket applications without much worry, but the key point is aftermarket. You still have to pay to play.

I think the reputation of the Skyline is even more legendary in the states, because they were never sold in the states. So the average ricer thinks the Skyline is some mythical unicorn of a car when in reality it isn't.

In stock form both the Supra and RB26DETT Skyline run low 13s, which is quick, but nothing to be in awe over.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Heck, a Trailblazer SS will run 13s stock lol
Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I hated that movie. mainly because the mustange situation and the fact that during the car chase it looked like they were trying to drift thorough traffic. ha. funny. oh well. also about the skyline. . .ask your friend which skyline he's talking about. I'm deployed with some guys that are stationed in japan and I've actually learned a lot about the skyline lately. and did you know there was a sedan skyline? ask him that and see what he says.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 AM   #11
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

There is also a RWD non-turbo Skyline. The GTR is going to be relased over here sometime soon. It's butt ugly and costs way too much compared to the Corvette and other competitors.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

I am willing to bet that he is talking about the R32, R33, and R34 that all ran variations of the RB26DETT engine. That is like the holy grail of ricer engines. The R32-R34 were in production from 1989 to 2002.

The skylines after these generations are better known as the V35 skylines which are basically your Infinity G35s here in the states. So again the current skylines aren't even that great. It was just the very mod friendly RB26DETT that everyone gets stupid over.

The newest concept Skyline GT-R is, like others have said, very expensive, it will be a solid car no matter what, but again very expensive.

Also Skylines have a very solid following in Japan because they are so old. The first Skyline was produced in 1957, so culturally they are like our Corvettes with a pretty big and detailed history in Japan

Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
Hunter330123
Muscle Car Prodigy

Drives: 1973 Chevy Nova
oh yea, the 71 monte at the beggining was pretty awesome

my nova(underconstuction)
Hunter330123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
First off. Thanks for the clearing up!

Second - definitley not a friend...I have been trying to shut him up by building a metaphorical Chevy wall. I've been pulling out all the stops and using all of my knowledge of the Camaro and Corvette to destroy this kid...He insists that Supra and Skylines beat the crap out of Camaros and Corvettes..(sigh)..

My favorite allegation of his is that The Muscle Cars, especially the Camaro can't turn !?!?! Will it never end?