Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Lightbulb 2012 Cold Air Inductions intake same as 2010/2011? Specs look the same!

So I have been looking around to get a Cold Air Inductions (CAI) air intake for my 2012 V6 Camaro. I have found some good deals on here for some used intakes that a couple of fellow forum members are trying to sell. Unfortunately it says that those particular models are for the 2010-2011 V6 Camaro and not the 2012. If you go to the company's website you can see that they have an intake for the 10/11 and a different intake for the 2012 V6 but when you compare them next to each other, they have the same exact specs! and even the picture is the exact same picture.

So my questions is.... Do you guys/gals think that they are just doing this so us 2012 V6 owners have to spend the extra cash of a brand new intake (which will be the exact same as previous model)?

Because I am sure they are aware that many ppl are selling their intakes and since there are probably not many if any people with a 2012 CAI intake that want to sell theirs, then they just want to stop us from saving some money by buying it used from someone else.

Either way I will probably buy a CAI intake in the future either new or used but I wanted to see what you guys think of this. Here are the specs that I got from their website. www.coldairinductions.com

Part # 501-1036-10 (2010-2011 Camaro V6 Intake)
• 16 rwhp (NO Tune required!!)

Intake System Includes:
• Aluminum Insulated Air Box
• Air Box lid
• 3.5" (89 mm) Black Ceramic Coated Intake Tube
• High Performance Air Filter (CF-8350)
• Black Silicone Elbow / Stainless Clamps
• Installation instructions

Part # 501-1036-12 (2012 Camaro V6 Intake)

Intake System Includes:
• Air Box lid

Short Description
Maximize your Camaro's performance with our high performance air intake system. Our intakes surpass our competitors with superior quality and craftsmanship while achieving outstanding performance gains. We see on average, a 16 rwhp increase on otherwise stock 3.6l's.

This is a direct replacement for the OEM air box. No modifications required: Retains the OEM washer bottle in the stock location
Maximize your Camaro's performance with our high performance air intake system. Our intakes surpass our competitors with superior quality and craftsmanship while achieving outstanding performance gains. We see on average, a 16 rwhp increase on otherwise stock 3.6l's.

SKU 501-1036-10; 501-1036-12
PLuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
This may be the case. Sorry I cant confirm that as i dont have the CAI intake, but it sounds like any other marketing scheme. Kinda reminds me of a college text book i needed. The professor insisted that we needed the 8th edition when the 7th ed. was 99% the same . My guess was the professor, who wrote the book of course, wanted to rake in the extra dough.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
PLuche

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Engineer View Post
This may be the case. Sorry I cant confirm that as i dont have the CAI intake, but it sounds like any other marketing scheme. Kinda reminds me of a college text book i needed. The professor insisted that we needed the 8th edition when the 7th ed. was 99% the same . My guess was the professor, who wrote the book of course, wanted to rake in the extra dough.
YEah I feel you man! I got my Associates in Marketing and from what I have learned I suspect they are trying to make a couple of extra bucks.

I also had the same problem as you with college textbooks and sometimes we wouldn't even use them much!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingLudwig View Post
YEah I feel you man! I got my Associates in Marketing and from what I have learned I suspect they are trying to make a couple of extra bucks.

I also had the same problem as you with college textbooks and sometimes we wouldn't even use them much!
Is there a retun policy on an ordered intake? I would assume so. Just buy a 2010-11 model of the intake, install it, check if it works (fits) and if so go from there. If it doesnt, im sure you can return it for the 2012 version. id really hate to see people get scammed just so someone can make an extra buck. If all else fails, go with a different intake mfg.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
PLuche

Quote:
Is there a retun policy on an ordered intake? I would assume so. Just buy a 2010-11 model of the intake, install it, check if it works (fits) and if so go from there. If it doesnt, im sure you can return it for the 2012 version.
Well they are priced the same at $399.99 but I wanted to save money by buying it used in almost new condition (would cost around $200ish). This is why I ask the question because as a college student, $150-200 bucks to save is awesome for me! . I can use that for other mods.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Well they are priced the same at $399.99 but I wanted to save money by buying it used in almost new condition (would cost around $200ish). This is why I ask the question because as a college student, $150-200 bucks to save is awesome for me! . I can use that for other mods.
Or unnecessary text books lmao!!!

On a serious, and hopefully a helpful note,... try researching the Vararam intake. It may cost a little more (used or new) but has been shown to put out more power than these other intakes.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
PLuche

Quote:
Or unnecessary text books lmao!!!

On a serious, and hopefully a helpful note,... try researching the Vararam intake. It may cost a little more (used or new) but has been shown to put out more power than these other intakes.
Yeah either mods or unnecessary text books will be where my left over money will go.

I will look into Vararam intakes, I was interested in the C.A.I because I remember seeing a thread a while ago that compared different intakes and showed dyno for each and it showed that C.A.I had the most HP at around 3-5K Rpm which is where I do most of my driving. I think it was like 2 or 3rd in overall horsepower gain.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
The maf sensor is different in the 2012! A good indication of this is the fact that no other company claims to make one for the 2012. I've read other posts from less informed people who bought a 2010 2011 model and it didn't work. Do some homework before you accuse the only company nice enough to make one for us of some how taking advantage. It also happens that they test better then any other intake.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Quote:
So I have been looking around to get a Cold Air Inductions (CAI) air intake for my 2012 V6 Camaro. I have found some good deals on here for some used intakes that a couple of fellow forum members are trying to sell. Unfortunately it says that those particular models are for the 2010-2011 V6 Camaro and not the 2012. If you go to the company's website you can see that they have an intake for the 10/11 and a different intake for the 2012 V6 but when you compare them next to each other, they have the same exact specs! and even the picture is the exact same picture.

So my questions is.... Do you guys/gals think that they are just doing this so us 2012 V6 owners have to spend the extra cash of a brand new intake (which will be the exact same as previous model)?

Because I am sure they are aware that many ppl are selling their intakes and since there are probably not many if any people with a 2012 CAI intake that want to sell theirs, then they just want to stop us from saving some money by buying it used from someone else.

Either way I will probably buy a CAI intake in the future either new or used but I wanted to see what you guys think of this. Here are the specs that I got from their website. www.coldairinductions.com

Part # 501-1036-10 (2010-2011 Camaro V6 Intake)

Intake System Includes:
• Air Box lid

Part # 501-1036-12 (2012 Camaro V6 Intake)

Intake System Includes:
• Air Box lid

Short Description

This is a direct replacement for the OEM air box. No modifications required: Retains the OEM washer bottle in the stock location

SKU 501-1036-10; 501-1036-12

I called Bill at C.A.I. Inc to find the answer and he said the 2010 and 2011 V6 C.A.I. will not fit the 2012 V6 Camaro. Call him to verify.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Yeah either mods or unnecessary text books will be where my left over money will go.

I will look into Vararam intakes, I was interested in the C.A.I because I remember seeing a thread a while ago that compared different intakes and showed dyno for each and it showed that C.A.I had the most HP at around 3-5K Rpm which is where I do most of my driving. I think it was like 2 or 3rd in overall horsepower gain.
I believe the Vararam intake was not on that comparison tests (for the V6) since it was released afterwards. Now that I have looked, it doesnt fit the '12 models. :(

Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
PLuche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
The maf sensor is different in the 2012! A good indication of this is the fact that no other company claims to make one for the 2012. I've read other posts from less informed people who bought a 2010 2011 model and it didn't work. Do some homework before you accuse the only company nice enough to make one for us of some how taking advantage. It also happens that they test better then any other intake.
Since our current MAF Sensor just attaches on to the new intake Im guessing that what you are saying is that the sensor's shape/position is totally different from the 10/11 which is why there is a specific intake for the 2012?

I was asking a question and not making a direct statement saying they are trying to steal/cheat or whatever.
I am not trying to trash the company! This is why I was asking on other ppls thoughts. As I stated on my post, I will buy one from them in the future (new or used) bc I thnk they are a good company and make quality prodcuts, otherwise why would I buy from them if I thought they were bad?

Eitherway if the MAF Sensor is the reason why there is a different intake for the 2012 then Thanks for answering my quesiton.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Vararam is not available for the 2012's yet.

Also, there is no "marketing scheme" here (as someone eluded to) as both years are the same price, had that not been the case then I'd say you might be on to something, although I sill doubt it.

Bill is a stand up guy, if he says there is a difference between the 2 (no matter how subtle) I believe him. Just call and ask him the difference, he'll tell you.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
PLuche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKnam67 View Post
I called Bill at C.A.I. Inc to find the answer and he said the 2010 and 2011 V6 C.A.I. will not fit the 2012 V6 Camaro. Call him to verify.
Thanks for calling and letting us know!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Quote:
Thanks for calling and letting us know!
There ya go. Good info to know.

Tags