Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
JMROD

Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
Camaro cost will go up!?

Just ran into this. Not sure its been posted. Looks like we will be effected :(
No specification on how much prices will go up but looking at all the factors he stated it seems significant.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/29/auto...ion=2008012914
JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
"

First, thanks for the article. Interesting read.

Second, it's way too early to tell what will happen.

Finally, I'm confident the Camaro will be pricedly competively with the Mustang and Challenger, and it would be silly to think GM would price it out of the range of the enthusiast.

Don't worry. Do you really think GM would price what is surely to be a HUGE winner for them too high for the average enthusiast to afford? The answer is "NO".
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
This is an across the board kind of thing. More like industry-wide inflation rather than GM suddenly shooting way upmarket.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Auto manufacturers love to 'leak' doom-and-gloom type information like this. Then when the next year's models come out and the prices only go up a small amount, they get to look like they're doing us a favor. :P
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Won't be TOO terrible. People still need to buy cars - and the people will get uber-pissed if they can't buy 'em.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
First, thanks for the article. Interesting read.

Second, it's way too early to tell what will happen.

Finally, I'm confident the Camaro will be pricedly competively with the Mustang and Challenger, and it would be silly to think GM would price it out of the range of the enthusiast.

Don't worry. Do you really think GM would price what is surely to be a HUGE winner for them too high for the average enthusiast to afford? The answer is "NO".
These factors will effect all Manufactures, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Honda. all cars will be affected.

And when Hilary or Obama get in office watch Taxes on the Oil go up (Obama and Hilary both support Taxing oil to meet current Euro oil prices) yes 7.00 per gal, The europians pay the same price for oil as we do remember it traided on the world stock market, there Taxes are huge to fund a sub standard healthcare system.

Taxes on V8 Engines that pollute the air, (Obama said this in an interview a few months back) We already have this one, just look at the 2005 GTO Auto window sticker, it will go higher, this will force people to stop buying V8's and in turn stop Manufactures from building them.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
These factors will effect all Manufactures, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Honda. all cars will be affected.

And when Hilary or Obama get in office watch Taxes on the Oil go up (Obama and Hilary both support Taxing oil to meet current Euro oil prices) yes 7.00 per gal, The europians pay the same price for oil as we do remember it traided on the world stock market, there Taxes are huge to fund a sub standard healthcare system.

Taxes on V8 Engines that pollute the air, (Obama said this in an interview a few months back) We already have this one, just look at the 2005 GTO Auto window sticker, it will go higher, this will force people to stop buying V8's and in turn stop Manufactures from building them.
+1

One of the big stump speeches for the Dems this election is exactly this. Now I'm not gonna say the Reps are much better. They've been in the house since before Clinton (until this last mid term election) and didn't do anything to move us away from foreign oil. Now The dems have openly stated that gas taxes and luxury vehicle taxes are one way they'd like to increase federal revenue. AKA raise taxes.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Actually, I believe that the money is generally spent on mass transit systems and clean energy sources. In effect, they use the ones who pollute to help clean things up. Quite elegant in my opinion
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
+1

One of the big stump speeches for the Dems this election is exactly this. Now I'm not gonna say the Reps are much better. They've been in the house since before Clinton (until this last mid term election) and didn't do anything to move us away from foreign oil. Now The dems have openly stated that gas taxes and luxury vehicle taxes are one way they'd like to increase federal revenue. AKA raise taxes.
Yup,
the gas guzzler tax that exist today under A Democratic Administration will tripple, and that will include the Mustang, Challenger, Charger and Camaro. any car that does not meet the CAFE standards.

The Republicans have spending issues as well but refuse to raise taxes. The Democrats will spend the same but will tax you for it. Unfortunatly the Middleclass tends to take the hit from the Dems. With Republicans Are Kids are taking the Hit to try to figure out how to pay for there spending.
As A Conservative I have had big issues with the Bush presidencies, Sr. and Jr. they were both Big governemt spenders, I on the other hand want a Smaller Government and I want it out of my life, I want more freedoms not less, I want the States to control more of the day to day things like education, social services, ect. Why is this the responsability of the federal government? I am all for a more limited roll of the feds and give my state and my senator more say so about issues that effect us, then they would be more interested in helping their constituants and less on the Lobbyists.

Wow I am sorry about this rant, I was a History Major in College and I loved American History so this is a subject that I am very passionate about.

Oh and BTW yes we need alternative fuel but until then......
DRILL IN ANWAR Lets make our own Oil and stop buying from the Middle East. Allow Oil companies to build Refineries again, after 20 years I think we could build better, cleaner and more effient ones now...

Last edited by 2K05GT; 01-30-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Actually, I believe that the money is generally spent on mass transit systems and clean energy sources. In effect, they use the ones who pollute to help clean things up. Quite elegant in my opinion
It may work that way in Canada, but here in US of A nope, Like the promise of social security and other gimmie entitalments they get pillaged by congress and run up the debt flag pole. Our Federal Governmet does nothing for Mass transit, the EPA does do some good work for the environment but all these federal agencies cost 10 times more than they should. America has a huge spending problem, we have to many people and not enough resources or exports anymore.

Canada has about the same land mass as the states but only have 33 million people, we are topping over 305 million. do you realise that is half of the entire Population of europe, I don't know how we can do it for much longer.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Quote:
Allow Oil companies to build Refineries again, after 20 years I think we could build better, cleaner and more efficient ones now...
I didn't know they did not allow it, with all the news/history I read how did I miss this? I agree, do it right and let us drill again WHILE moving aggressively away from the middle eastern tit we American's love to suck on...lol.

2K05GT...yup, we got serious problems here...it's time we get our heads out of the sand and confront this stuff before things get worse.

FYI, I saw a Shelby Stang today and it looked really good. The Mustang to me, is like Madonna (sometimes (back in the day more so) she looked very good looking and other times a bit scary looking, lol).
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ah, hell....another Political thread...damn.

Whatever - Although I think what the dems are doing is rather extreme....It's a million times better the the alternative of being caught with our pants down in the energy field....All of a sudden - prices start rising...more, and more, at a faster rate than currently...
I have no idea what the future holds - but doing something is better than sitting in those cushy seats in congress, and just 'riding' it out...This is an entirely different ride from the 70's....entirely different........
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
I realize that. The original question was regarding the Camaro. I understand that all auto manufacturers will be affected.

Quote:
They haven't been elected yet, nor is their election "a given".

Quote:
People will never stop buying V8's nor will manufacturers stop building them. Every manufacturer offers a "displacement on demand" type of V8. There will always be a demand, whether its from business owners; enthusiasts; etc.. Granted, there will be a higher cost associated, but to believe the public will stop buying V8's, and manufacturers will stop building them is not realistic.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
*Rant Warning"

Quote:
It may work that way in Canada, but here in US of A nope, Like the promise of social security and other gimmie entitalments they get pillaged by congress and run up the debt flag pole. Our Federal Governmet does nothing for Mass transit, the EPA does do some good work for the environment but all these federal agencies cost 10 times more than they should. America has a huge spending problem, we have to many people and not enough resources or exports anymore.

Canada has about the same land mass as the states but only have 33 million people, we are topping over 305 million. do you realise that is half of the entire Population of europe, I don't know how we can do it for much longer.
I was referring to the comment about how the Europeans spend their money.

And while I won't get too far into a discussion of geo-politics and economics on a car forum, I will say the following. You want resources?We can give you all the lumber you want, and water, and diamonds, and more and more and more. You flash the cash, and we'll get it for you. Canada can supply all the oil you ever want. It is estimated that we have 8x the reserves that the Saudis have, more than all the OPEC nations have combined, though our current recoverable amount is only about 2/3 that of the Saudis. But in reality, its believed to be about double the entire worlds proven, recoverable reserves. You want oil? we will dig up an area the size of Florida to get it for you. Yes, its that big.

You want to know how you can keep going? You can reduce what you use. That goes for everything, not just oil. If you are concerned about having too much of a trade deficit, are afraid of paying for middle easter dictatorships or terrorists, don't want to support the Chinese, and don't want to pay $7/gal for gas? All those problems can be avoided by consuming less. buy fewer TV's, buy fewer cars, buy less gas, buy less ipods, cell phones, and so on. Consumerism is the problem. The fact that Americans (and Canadians, and the west in general) believe that all of our luxury items that we take for granted are actually rightfully ours. We have the right to throw out cell phones every year, because a new one just came on the market. There is nothing at all wrong with the old one, except that its 1 year old. Cars like our beloved Camaro are a complete waste of resources, fuel, material, and time. They exist only to make us feel good, and to make money for corporations, but they are soo wasteful. 80% of cars on the road at any given time should be SmartCars or similar. Then everyone use their trucks, SUV's, and large cars only for when they are needed. Going to work, by yourself, is the #1 use for cars by a wide margin. To do that, all you need is a SmartCar, actually all you need is a moped, providing that the climate is suitable

But if cities were laid out better, we wouldn't need cars to get to work. if the population density were just a bit higher, large scale mass transit would actually be effective. Suburbs are the cause of this problem. A little slice of land for every family, and a car or two in every driveway. Chopping down the trees, then naming the streets after them.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm gonna buy a Camaro and probably live in a suburb, and drive it to work every day, get my paycheck so I can buy new toys. The point is, is that it will take a massive change in the minds of the people to go to a sustainable way of living. It can't be forced by governments. It can't be engineered. It comes from you and me and everyone around us deciding to live with less. And that ain't gonna happen for a long time. If there are many replies to this, I suggest a thread split.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote