Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
JackLS1R1

Drives: 10 SS A6 Huron TT
Question A6 with Maggie and roll racing

So there are lots of roll races in my area. I am new to this 6l80e and its tap shift.

I have had some luck in some races just leaving it in sport mode and hitting it and it downshifts to right gear and I take off real good.

Other times it has not chose the right gear and I get smoked. I have been advised to manually shift it...

Outside of testing it and making a lot of noise and attention, what are best methods of shifting it? I know no one can shift faster than the computer.

If I leave in an M gear, will it shift itself? I played w it a bit, hit the limiter once.

Should I start the race in an M gear, then slide shifter to D to let the computer do the rest of the shifts??
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
M does not mean it's in manual mode. It means you have the option for it to be. M is basically sport mode. If you're going to race someone, DO NOT try to shift yourself. The car knows better than you, plus the tap shifters lag very bad. I lost a race to a bone stock Chevy SS once because I was using tap shifters and I hit the limiter. So basically, if you're trying to race someone, put it in M, let the car shift itself and make sure you floor it early enough for it to have time to shift into the right gear. If it hits the limiter then you may need to talk to your tuner. Hope that helps
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Inferno_Orange_
Bolokay

Drives: Inferno Orange 2012 1SS
From playing around with manual mode I've found that once it approaches red line it will automatically shift into the next gear, this has led to more than one double shift leading to the loss of a race. Also this usually only happens when it's floored, I can still hit red line and it won't shift if it's not floored, I think it's a safety measure so you won't bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I would manually shift to the lowest gear possible. Once you get rolling shift to "d" mode and let the car shift it's self
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
I turn off all the nannies put it in M for sport and depending how fast we are going i just hit it or brake boost a little.

Mind i ask what kind of tires you have? We might both be due for stall converters. Flash right into our power bands.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote