Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Is my gas still good??

Coming up on four months with Chevron 94 in camaro in climate controlled garage. Ethanol free. No stabilizer. This stuff should last a year right?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
You should be good, when I was stationed in Utah, my Corvette sat for 4-5 months with a full tank with no problems.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Dumb question. If you know the car is going to be sitting for months why wouldn't you add stabilizer to the fuel?

I own a motorcycle that sits for 6 months because of winter. I always add stabilizer and have it on a battery tender during the winter.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Because I’ve read an equal number of posts of fuel stabilizer doing more harm than good that’s why. Like it’s marketing snake oil that will gum up your fuel as opposed to a quality gasoline that will easily last a year.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Well I run stabalizer in all my vehicles I store every winter. And I run it in all my out door equipment year around because of the ethenol. Have never had a problem with any gumming up.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Well I run stabalizer in all my vehicles I store every winter. And I run it in all my out door equipment year around because of the ethenol. Have never had a problem with any gumming up.
I've been using Stabil brand in my outdoor equipment for almost ten years. Never had a problem with them. Don't know why anyone would call it snake oil. My equipment has always started in the spring on no more than second pull. Without Stabil, I used to have to work thru the carb and pull, pull, pull.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I've been using Stabil brand in my outdoor equipment for almost ten years. Never had a problem with them. Don't know why anyone would call it snake oil. My equipment has always started in the spring on no more than second pull. Without Stabil, I used to have to work thru the carb and pull, pull, pull.
I don't have too but in the spring & Summer I run my snow blower every month. Nice to see your running an IBM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
OP, Stabil is tested and proven. No snake oil. You should be good, but the appropriate amount of Stabil is good insurance.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I've been using Star Tron.Orginally developed for marine use but works excellent for all year.It was in the snowmobiles and the Camaro when in storage.Just treat your fuel container when get it filled and you won't have any problems.I use it in all my equipment,Great product.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by weSS1LEy View Post
Because I’ve read an equal number of posts of fuel stabilizer doing more harm than good that’s why. Like it’s marketing snake oil that will gum up your fuel as opposed to a quality gasoline that will easily last a year.
You listen to rumors and speculation too much.

Gasoline will not easily last a year. It depends. Primarily on how stored. In a full sealed metal can...sure a year is possible. I.E. if you buy a 5 gal metal can of VP race gas (which is gasoline)... VP will tell you = 2 years shelf life if left sealed unopened full in the can. And they fill the can to the top with zero air space. Open that same can, the octane starts going down fast. In 3 months it will not be the advertised octane. They also say do not store in plastic jugs, where the octane drops off very rapidly. What are modern day car fuel tanks - plastic.

Stabil works great. I've been using it for decades.

If you store a car with a plastic gas tank full of fuel for 3/4 months and no stabilizer... it will most likely start right up just fine. I'd bet though the octane has dropped off.

The way I know Stabil works great is every year I put it in every small engine I have. Lawn mowers, weed whacker, snowblower, chainsaw.... And my neighbor never uses stabilizer. Every spring my stuff starts right up. And I'm constantly getting the knock on the door each Spring...hey my mower won't start. Did you use stabilizer..no. Remove carb and clean out varnish sludge. Then we get to winter, and my snowblower starts right up first or second pull. Neighbors snowblower... dead and sludged up carb.

So seeing what old gas does to small engines, and how well Stabil works... I put it in my car for the winter.

Slick 50 is snake oil. Stabil or Sea Foam stabilizer is good stuff. The octane will still be dropping off over time. But the stabilizer prevents gas from going bad and turning to varnish.

Some people has dynod cars in the spring with stabilizer still in and the power is way down. Blaming the stabilizer. When in reality...it's the loss of octane causing the power loss. The stabilizer did just fine preventing varnish, the fuel lost tons of octane...cuz that's what unsealed gas does over time.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
http://k-100.com/
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Ok I’ll maybe use it next year. I’ve never had to store my car for more than 3-4 months though. Email from Chevron said ethanol free 94 would last a year
Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
You don't have a carburetor to gunk up.
Spark it up and find out.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Third winter not using stabilizer and no problem (that I know of). So how would one go about checking for the formation of varnish? Pull an injector? Pull a line? Siphon some gas?