Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Like computer mods? Here's my new Rig; 56K warning!!

So, i just felt like sharing the new computer i built, (ok, ill be honest i want to show it off a bit....lol.....) For thoes who enjoy pics of build projects, i have included lots of build pics!
There are lots more pics in the album, if you want to look at em, here is the link to the photobucket album http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...er%20Mod%2009/

Computer specs
Core 2 Quad Q9400 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 4gb of ram, ATI 4870 1 GB graphics card, Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch LCD, CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case

The cooler master case all stripped and ready to go!

Top of the case

Which will be cut to make room for.....

This! My 3x120mm watercooling radiator

All chopped up!

The custom mounting bracket i made to mount the fans and rad to the top

The fans mounted and the side plastic trim reattached

The pump all mounted up!

The radiator as viewed from inside

Watercooling loop all assembled

All filled up and ready to go!

Top exhaust grill i made so the air can exhaust freely

All finished up!
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
You're using a 520W to power an overclocked quad and 4870? Bit low on power no?
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
MTron

I get that a lot, but its a misconception that computers now-a-days need boat loads of power, the most optimal range to run a power supply in is about 75-85% of full load, as thats when they typically have peak efficiency. People assume that with all these 600, 700 and 1000 watt power supplies running about that computers really do draw that much, but they really draw much less. For example, i have somthing called a Kill-A-Watt, which basically is a power meter, it plugs into the wall and the computer plugs into it. At full load (prime 95, playin any game (not really full load), 3d mark vantage, OCCT burn in test..and anything else i could run to suck as much power as i could) the system didnt draw more then 380 watts from the wall (was running 3d mark vantage and 2 threads of prime 95).

All that is not to say i skipped out on power supply quality, the corsair unit i got is a beast!, It has some of the tightest voltage regulation of many a power supply out there, and clean power is just as important as enough power! especially when overclocking
Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah I have a PC-Power and Cooling 1200K. When pusing the GTX295 and a GTX260 as PhsyX card along with O/C i7 940 I hit about 650watts. But I like headroom.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
MTron

LOL...thoes 2 cards are MONSTER cards for power draw eh...the i7 is no slouch as well

I figured i dont need much headroom, i MIGHT add another HD or 2, but thats about it, i have enough other computers in the house to serve as bulk storage (including my media server in the basement) that all i do with this computer is game and encode video. I went for good price with good voltage regulation with enough power to serve my needs, and i arrived at the 520HX, which i think is great! this computer is delightfully silent...easily the quietest gaming computer i have ever built

Im also not likely to get multiple graphics cards....when my 4870 cant play my games at an acceptable resolution and quality setting anymore, ill just swap in a new card
Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
How hard is it to set up that liquid cooling system? I am kind of afraid to dive right into that considering I'm going to be building my first computer this summer (Everything so far has been just swapping cards/etc).
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
MTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
How hard is it to set up that liquid cooling system? I am kind of afraid to dive right into that considering I'm going to be building my first computer this summer (Everything so far has been just swapping cards/etc).
Thats kind of a complex question to answer. I guess i can answer it in two parts.

1. As for physical setup of the watercooling loop, it all depends on the case really! and the size of radiator you intend to use. If you pick a case that has been built to accommodate a watercooling rad (obviously mine hasn't, due to the cutting...lol) then mounting it up should be pretty easy. You can get reservoirs that mount in a drive bay, and if there is room, just mount the pump to the bottom of the case.

2. Usually i would recommend that people get a little bit of experience building computers with custom air cooling stuff, so that they can get some experience mounting coolers that use backplates, using thermal paste, removing graphics card heatsinks. A large portion of the time the majority of people who ask me about water cooling are quite satisfied with a high quality air cooler which is very silent and still gives great cooling performance.

I guess it comes down to this, if you think you have experience enough to build the computer properly and you have a good set of tools and the experience to use them, then watercooling is not out of your reach if you want that "bling" factor. Do keep in mind that water cooling is not cheap by any means and much research should be done to ensure that you have picked a case and a set of components that fits your needs.