Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
mstrfdsstr

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAMARO
maf tune/no open loop nice flat 12.5 fuel trim

Is this a problem running in maf tune only?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
mstrfdsstr

Turned off the ve table all of a sudden i have plenty of top end the maf was tuned by a pro oyea no more fluttering at 2100 rpm and other part trottel.I would imagine this will cange ahd I will need speed density with a cam and nitrous.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
There's no problem running MAF only, Ive been doing it for a while to. Some people believe that the car has more response with both VE and MAF working but thats debatable.

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
mstrfdsstr

definatly not more responsive with the ve table ran a 12.6@111 1.95 on drag radials if only I could get off the line 12.2 possable
Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Alvin@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
I prefer both the VE and MAF be tune in conjunction whenever is possible. A member Bluecat released a very powerful tool for VE tuning on HPtuners forum. We use it almost daily.
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Ve tuning is wasted extra work on the LS3 that is not neccesary. Run MAF only. Go read up more on it on HpTuners.com/forum.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Ve tuning is wasted extra work on the LS3 that is not neccesary. Run MAF only. Go read up more on it on HpTuners.com/forum.

I mean you no personal disrespect, but This comment sounds foolish to anyone who has any real experience tuning GM Cars for the simple fact the the maf is used during steady state and the computer uses VE for throttle transitions.

If they are both tuned properly the car will run better than ever.

The VE table is a very important part of the tune.

I will also note that VE tables can usually be left alone as long as the engine has not been altered with bigger heads and Camshaft or Supercharger, but when these are changed out, VE tuning is necessary.

Take the information for what it is worth.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
E85LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I mean you no personal disrespect, but This comment sounds foolish to anyone who has any real experience tuning GM Cars for the simple fact the the maf is used during steady state and the computer uses VE for throttle transitions.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The MAF is not only used in steady state and the VE is not used to determine fueling during throttle transitions. Both the MAF and VE do the same thing, they estimate the airflow entering the engine, the VE is usually checking the the values from the MAF so there is some redundancy in the system in case the MAF were to fail. On the stock tune the VE is ignored above 4,000RPM and it uses MAF only. Do you believe that when above 4,000 rpm there is no longer a need for any transient fueling due to throttle transitions? or maybe there is another set of parameters that account for throttle transitions.

During throttle transitions the transient fuel calculations account for the changing impact factors and evaporation of fuel from the intake and valves. There is always a film of fuel on the intake valve since the injectors spray the back of the intake valves to keep them cool, the trick is keeping this film constant through changing pressures and air velocitys in orded to keep fuel delivery precise. It is the transient fuel calculations job to handle this not the VE tables.

I'm not sure if the car will run better with both the MAF and SD determining the total airflow but I am planning to experiment with this myself and I will definitely post my findings. Supposedly this used to be the case with older less sensitive MAF sensors and slower computers but today the MAF sensors and computers are so accurate it makes no difference. We'll see. . .

Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85LSX View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The MAF is not only used in steady state and the VE is not used to determine fueling during throttle transitions. Both the MAF and VE do the same thing, they estimate the airflow entering the engine, the VE is usually checking the the values from the MAF so there is some redundancy in the system in case the MAF were to fail. On the stock tune the VE is ignored above 4,000RPM and it uses MAF only. Do you believe that when above 4,000 rpm there is no longer a need for any transient fueling due to throttle transitions? or maybe there is another set of parameters that account for throttle transitions.

During throttle transitions the transient fuel calculations account for the changing impact factors and evaporation of fuel from the intake and valves. There is always a film of fuel on the intake valve since the injectors spray the back of the intake valves to keep them cool, the trick is keeping this film constant through changing pressures and air velocitys in orded to keep fuel delivery precise. It is the transient fuel calculations job to handle this not the VE tables.

I'm not sure if the car will run better with both the MAF and SD determining the total airflow but I am planning to experiment with this myself and I will definitely post my findings. Supposedly this used to be the case with older less sensitive MAF sensors and slower computers but today the MAF sensors and computers are so accurate it makes no difference. We'll see. . .
I guess my point was overlooked, I just tried to keep it simple, the Maf is most active and VE is referenced during quick throttle transitions, especially at engine speeds below 4000 rpm, because of the what I call the slinky affect.

I did not want to get in to trasinent fueling too complicated to explain.

The point was VE tuning is necessary when a change to Hard parts affect VE.

I have tuned all different ways, you can get good results either way for most apps, but aren't we here to find Perfection?

I do agree with your technical explaination.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
I'm running MAF only on my G8 GXP (LS3) and I haven't had any issues.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I guess my point was overlooked, I just tried to keep it simple, the Maf is most active and VE is referenced during quick throttle transitions, especially at engine speeds below 4000 rpm, because of the what I call the slinky affect.

I did not want to get in to trasinent fueling too complicated to explain.

The point was VE tuning is necessary when a change to Hard parts affect VE.

I have tuned all different ways, you can get good results either way for most apps, but aren't we here to find Perfection?

I do agree with your technical explaination.
So do you think MAF-only tuning would be okay without touching the VE if my only mods are gonna be the Vararam Tune-only Intake and Headers? Sounds like MAF only tuning is the way for me to go until I get a cam.

Also, for HPTuners, what should I scan to see the feedback? (I'm guessing create a histogram with MAF Frequency vs. LTFT?)

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
E85LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
So do you think MAF-only tuning would be okay without touching the VE if my only mods are gonna be the Vararam Tune-only Intake and Headers? Sounds like MAF only tuning is the way for me to go until I get a cam.

Also, for HPTuners, what should I scan to see the feedback? (I'm guessing create a histogram with MAF Frequency vs. LTFT?)
MAF only will work great with those two mods. The size of the cam will dictate whether or not VE tunning will be nessacary. A very large cam will be hard to tune MAF only. With that being said I just tuned my car MAF only after installing a cam, the specs are 230's duration on a 112lsa.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post

In most cases Maf tuning works fantastic.

Ted.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Turning off the VE table is fine. Tuning the MAF is much better
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote