Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #43
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLHAILFRANKOS View Post
Hello C5, I have a little problem... This past Friday I had my BA door speakers replaced with JL TR650-CSi components at a local stereo shop due to the drivers side factory BA being blown and I am EXTREMELY underwhelmed by them. I've rode around with them installed for a few days now and they just don't pack the punch the BA's did for the type of music I listen to, nor do they mesh well with the factory rears at all. Honestly without making excuses, I didn't do my homework with this and may have dropped the ball. What impacted my decision in the first place to go with the JL's was really the build quality of the BA's, being that this is the second time a speaker that had to be replaced in less than a year (first replaced under warranty). Now... This shop claims the factories had to be cut out in order for the new speakers to be put in, so I'm not sure that I could go back to the BA's even if I wanted too :(

Where do I go from here?
the installers were cheap and didn't spring the 12$ for the speaker mounts.
even Crutchfield sends them to you for free with speakers.
I did that once....it was hacked.
the reason your factory stereo sounds like crap now is that the speakers are not driven anymore .
your new speakers are better than the way the factory tuned it per say.
now that your under powering your speakers you have lost the dynamics of the speakers.
change out your amp ....for way under 300$ and you'll be amazed.
not only will it be clearer, but a hell of a lot louder.
this is something a monkey can do in about 1/2 hr .
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZeusor View Post
the reason your factory stereo sounds like crap now is that the speakers are not driven anymore .
now that your under powering your speakers you have lost the dynamics of the speakers.
Obviously you haven't read the entire thread.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #45
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Obviously you haven't read the entire thread.
I don't think he did lol
ALLHAILFRANKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #46
ALLHAILFRANKOS

So I had the new system installed this past Friday, and man what a difference! I am very pleased with this set up, and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the 10-inch W3. That little thing really puts in some serious work running off those 300 watts. Inside, sound is crisp, clear, and LOUD though not much bass comes out of those speakers compared to the factory BA's (which isn't needed anymore having the W3 in trunk I guess). Trunk rattle is minimal (thank god), but I think I can hear the rear deck lid hitting the rear window (could some type of Dynamat fix that?). One thing that has been bothering me though, is since the install my SS has felt a little sluggish (would love to say it's probably just me, BUT IT'S NOT ). Now I know theres no way in hell the stealth box and W3 is creating any type of weight to effect performance, so that brings me to question the battery. Could the way the system was wired into the battery bring about a problem like this?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #47
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZeusor View Post
Funny thing is second time around, I actually went out of my way to purchase some Metra speaker adapters and the shop didn't want to use them, so i'll be sending them back if I can.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #48
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLHAILFRANKOS View Post
So I had the new system installed this past Friday, and man what a difference! I am very pleased with this set up, and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the 10-inch W3. That little thing really puts in some serious work running off those 300 watts. Inside, sound is crisp, clear, and LOUD though not much bass comes out of those speakers compared to the factory BA's (which isn't needed anymore having the W3 in trunk I guess). Trunk rattle is minimal (thank god), but I think I can hear the rear deck lid hitting the rear window (could some type of Dynamat fix that?). One thing that has been bothering me though, is since the install my SS has felt a little sluggish (would love to say it's probably just me, BUT IT'S NOT ). Now I know theres no way in hell the stealth box and W3 is creating any type of weight to effect performance, so that brings me to question the battery. Could the way the system was wired into the battery bring about a problem like this?
No....unless there is some problem, the camaro batt can more than handle the mods you've done....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #49
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No....unless there is some problem, the camaro batt can more than handle the mods you've done....
Hmmm... Maybe I'll try a fuse pull, see what happens
Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #50
Glen e

Might want to batt check too....at rest...not engine running...look for >12.5
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
card21doc

Drives: 13 Hotwheels Camaro 2SS
Glen,

New here. Can I ask you where you mounted your 10" infinity sub. I kept my infinity from the G8 I had. I'm thinking of mounting it in the wheel well. Would it get too hot there?

Thanks
card21doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #52
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by card21doc View Post
Glen,

New here. Can I ask you where you mounted your 10" infinity sub. I kept my infinity from the G8 I had. I'm thinking of mounting it in the wheel well. Would it get too hot there?

Thanks
I am getting great sound with it mounted in front of the stock amp position, firing across the trunk.

Tags
advice, disappointed, jl audio, tr650-csi