Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
Clearing codes and changing fueling and timing tables are two totally different things. There is absolutely no problem with clearing diagnostic codes...

If you're not sure about the subject of your post, then why post in the first place? We're not talking about future tuning apps, we're talking about Rev, and it does not and cannot change any vehicles tune. It will not void your warranty.

Again people, if you dont know anything about the item in question, then dont post statements warning people not to use it. Educate yourself, then post.... and I wont have to go "Hulk" on you guys! Too funny kdoske!
No, you just have to learn to disagree with more tact and respect. Some people aren't aware of the risks that might be obvious to you and I, but to others, it might not be as clear. I wouldn't recommend interfacing an iPhone for any kind of diagnostic information anyway. Read or writeability. Beck, stop trying to be a techno-hero, encouraging members to use homemade solutions to interface devices with their $40K investments and end up causing them to wreck their cars and warranties. Take it to a tuning facility and let certified mechanics get all the information you need. Believe me, if you have to go "Hulk," I'll be ready. Don't worry about that. Too many people try to be technically savvy with electronics and end up doing entirely too many things wrong and do more harm than good. I'm a self-employed computer tech. I've seen it all. PC's rule over Apple products anyway, so yeah, there you have it.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Here's a software I use. I don't use the iphone software though so I can't attest to it's performance. If you get an OBD scanner for roughly $80-$150 you can get a lot of info and control of your car's computer. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

Oh and this company offers several different software packages so take a look at what each offers here.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...comparison.php
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
No, you just have to learn to disagree with more tact and respect. Some people aren't aware of the risks that might be obvious to you and I, but to others, it might not be as clear. I wouldn't recommend interfacing an iPhone for any kind of diagnostic information anyway. Read or writeability. Beck, stop trying to be a techno-hero, encouraging members to use homemade solutions to interface devices with their $40K investments and end up causing them to wreck their cars and warranties. Take it to a tuning facility and let certified mechanics get all the information you need. Believe me, if you have to go "Hulk," I'll be ready. Don't worry about that. Too many people try to be technically savvy with electronics and end up doing entirely too many things wrong and do more harm than good. I'm a self-employed computer tech. I've seen it all. PC's rule over Apple products anyway, so yeah, there you have it.
I thought that post was displaying a good amount of tact actually. I was kinda proud that I didnt have to go "Hulk" as kdoske put it!

Im not trying to be "techno-hero", I just offer personal knowledge from experience of using diagnostic software tools as well as tuning software tools. That's cool that you wouldnt recommend using an iphone app to interface with your car. But obviously the OP is in a different frame of thought, since he's asking if anyone is currently using one.

Using the Rev app for example is no different than going to Autozone and having them pull diagnostic codes. It's simply pulling OBDII information from the computer, that's readily available at the OBDII port 24/7. It's your own personal choice if you want to use a scan tool to pull that info for displaying or datalogging.

If a scan tool app causes a camaro owner to wreck their car, maybe they shouldnt have a driver's license in the first place. That statement is absurd. Once again, from the cheap seats.... a diagnostic app or scan tool will not cause you to void your warranty.

Some people enjoy being technically savvy with their vehicles, it appears the OP is another one of those people. I share in the sentiment, so if I can do something with my iPhone that I would otherwise be charged a couple hundred bucks to do the same thing without having to sit in a waiting room, Im all over it!

Like I said, if you disagree with using the iPhone to pull diagnostic codes and read OBDII info, that's cool. You're more than entitled to your opinion. But... Your opinion is based on your own feelings, and doesnt offer any experience or technical information to help the OP. If you had posted something like, "I used a scan tool and it voided my warranty, dont do it!", or "Here's a link to some information about the damage you can inadvertently do with a scan tool". But you didnt, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find those kinds of examples.

Long post, but my overall point is... scan tools are good, uninformed posts, bad.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #18
JDBeck23

Quote:
Originally Posted by navmaxlp View Post
Here's a software I use. I don't use the iphone software though so I can't attest to it's performance. If you get an OBD scanner for roughly $80-$150 you can get a lot of info and control of your car's computer. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

Oh and this company offers several different software packages so take a look at what each offers here.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...comparison.php
Very cool, I have Rev lite on my iphone currently, I'll have to DL that one and give them a shot!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #19
navmaxlp

It seems as though there is some confusion on what OBD II is and does so, I thought I would put this up here for some clarification:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/engi...at-obd-ii.html

This site is a forum for in-car PC enthusiasts such as myself. If anyone has interest in installing a computer in their car (think nav unit on crack), this site is great for information.

Here are two popular scan tool manufacturers for reference as well:

http://www.obdpros.com/
http://www.scantool.net/

Both companies are reputable and work with several different software formats. I would advise against cheap ebay scanners as they do not hold up over time and they are unable to provide firmware updates as technology progresses.

Last edited by navmaxlp; 07-20-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 AM   #20
JDBeck23

I was debating a car pc in my last car. Cool to see another mp3car guy on these boards! Are you planning a car pc for your car??

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #21
navmaxlp

Running a UMPC in my present car. It's mounted on my dash now instead of modding the dash to fit a display. Just couldn't afford all the stuff to make the OEM look happen for now. Using Streetdeck as the Front End. Getting a parrot this weekend for bluetooth phone. When I get the camaro, I'll just swap everything over. I'm really glad I went the UMPC route for now though. I can't imagine cutting up the camaro's dash. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible with a few minor modifications here and there for either looks or performance.

Funny thing though. I was all excited when I got the car PC together thinking how much money I would save by not having to get the nav unit in the next car I buy. Damn camaro steals my thunder by not putting a nav unit in the car. Hahahaha, well I guess that's one hit I'm willing to take for such a fine machine.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #22
JDBeck23

nice. I doubt I'll mess with the camaro's setup, it's pretty nicely laid out and feature packed as it is (2SS of course). But of course it wouldnt be near as feature ridden as a well done CarPC setup...

But anyways, back on topic!

2010 2SS/RS CGM