Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
i have a choice. what would you do?

Get a 1ss/rs manual, sun roof with zero miles.

or get a 2008 corvette convertible with 2600 miles on it. never been titled, was previously driven by the wife of the guy who owned the dealership. the car has upgraded navigation package, HUD, 6 speed manual, five spoke chrome wheels.

which one would you get? both cars are being offered for the same price 33,000-34,000.

can you guys give me pros and cons. i dont know much about corvettes, that's why i'm asking you guys.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Drive them both and YOU decide!! Do you need the backseat room for stuff? No? Do you like the open air driving with the vert?

Each person will have their own answer. If the Vette were not a vert, I'd take the Vette. I don't like verts, so I'd take the Camaro.

I think that Vette has the same LS3 engine as the Camaro - not sure though. Being lighter, it's faster.

Can't say much about the Vettes since I've never owned one...

Good luck!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Duf

Drives: Camry Hybrid
Well obviously you are getting more car for the money with the Vette. However at least where I live, SW Florida, there are a lot more late model Vette's than 2010 Camaros.

I had an 88 Vette. It was cool until I had to fix anything on it. Even a light bulb costs $50 (slight exaggeration) and wait till you see what is involved in replacing that light if it happens to be a tail light. Insert arm through hole in bumper behind license plate and fumble around for an hour or two.

Copy from my blog when I did it below:

Next project, replace 2 bad bulbs in the rear taillights. Normally this would be a super easy job, unscrew the lense, slap in a bulb you’re done. Hmmm no screws in these tailights. I flip through my manual and find the procedure to replace these bulbs. I reread it to make sure I got it right. To replace these bulbs requires the following procedure:

Remove license plate
Stuff arm into hole behind license plate and jam your arm into the bumper area, up to your elbow (if you have a big fat arm, forget it)
Feel for the bulb holder
Once found, try to figure out how to release it by feel alone
Once the socket is out, the wire is too short to come out of the license bracket hole
Crawl under the car and jam your 2 arms behind the bumper and try to hold the socket with one hand while attempting to release the old bulb with the other
If you are successful removing the old bulb, reverse the procedure to put a new bulb in the socket
Stick your arm back into the license plate hole and feel for the wire
Blindly try to manipulate the socket so it fits back into the taillight assembly

No, I am not exaggerating.

Anyway, short answer, I'll take the Camaro. Too bad you can't find an untitled 2600 mile 2010 Camaro Would be nice to knock that initial depreciation off the top.
Duf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Fritostud

Drives: 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa2010 2SS/RS M6
As much as I love my Camaro, I would say take the Vette!!
Fritostud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
NoDak Scotty

Drives: Suburban/Z-71 CrewCab/1972 442 vert
You get the Camaro...and I'll take the Vette.
NoDak Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i've owned four vettes.after years it finally hit me.they are not that practical.i can tell you i am having more fun driving my camaro than any vette i ever owned.but like people will tell you.it is your decision.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
That price on the Vette vert seems VERY low. Should be closer to $40K. Sounds like no Z51 handling package installed which is kind of a bummer. You should buy the Vette and keep it if you like it and don't need a back seat. Or buy it anyway, don't register it and put it up for sale for 38K and pocket $4-5K.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Even if you flip the Vette, buy it and then buy the Camaro. That Vette is worth way more than the price asked.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I don't like convertibles, Get the Camaro.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
thanks for the replies fellers. i don't need a back seat at all (i'm single, no where near getting married). I have always wanted to own a convertible though but i ended up getting a harley instead of a convertible.

I wish i knew more about corvettes. the car is definitely a bargain and the new owner of the dealership is giving me a great deal (i know for a fact that the guy is not trying to screw me). I did him a huge favor a while back and now he is returning the favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
That price on the Vette vert seems VERY low. Should be closer to $40K. Sounds like no Z51 handling package installed which is kind of a bummer. You should buy the Vette and keep it if you like it and don't need a back seat. Or buy it anyway, don't register it and put it up for sale for 38K and pocket $4-5K.
I was thinking about this myself, maybe getting the corvette for this low price and then trying to sell it as soon as i get it. i wonder how hard it would be to get it sold though?

anybody else have any input.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
thanks for the replies fellers. i don't need a back seat at all (i'm single, no where near getting married). I have always wanted to own a convertible though but i ended up getting a harley instead of a convertible.

I wish i knew more about corvettes. the car is definitely a bargain and the new owner of the dealership is giving me a great deal (i know for a fact that the guy is not trying to screw me). I did him a huge favor a while back and now he is returning the favor.

I was thinking about this myself, maybe getting the corvette for this low price and then trying to sell it as soon as i get it. i wonder how hard it would be to get it sold though?

anybody else have any input.

I personally wouldn't try flipping the vette, though I'd buy it over the camaro for myself. The reasoning is that a dealer won't really risk losing any sleep on the vette, they'll keep it for a while and sell it either to a customer or another dealer who has a higher demand for corvettes.

If you try to flip it you will lose some of the value just by driving it and every few months the price automatically has to be adjusted because the car is getting older and therefore losing value. So if you keep it for a while and drive it yourself, by the time that you sell it, you will take a possible risk of just ending up getting your money back and not a dime more.

And if you have no need for a back seat and the dealer is giving you a favor, buy it for yourself. No need for a camaro when you can get a very low mileage, heck almost brand new, corvette for a very good deal. Especially if you want a convertible. You only live once

Personally, I'd buy it and be happy
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Igottahaveone
Car lover

Drives: '10 Challenger RT Classic
I see you are from Northern NJ...not sure what other vehicles you may have, but I'm thinking about winter weather(yes I know winter and snow is behind us ). So if your choice would be your daily driver, i guess this would be something to consider. Otherwise I guess you can't really go wrong with either choice as they are both beautiful cars.
Igottahaveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
harleypdd

Drives: Silver 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I don't like convertibles, Get the Camaro.
I agree, I hate convertibles. I've had 2 Corvette Coupes (C5 & C6) loved both but needed something more practical and the Camaro fit the bill.

Last edited by harleypdd; 03-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.
harleypdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
....was previously driven by the wife of the guy who owned the dealership...
and I'm sure the only other person was his grandmother when she drove it to church....

I'd bet a steak dinner that was the 'test drive' car...not that it matters all much, just that I hate it when sales folks lie.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote