Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
cremaley
10 SS

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS Imperial Blue
Help me undersand the 2SS tire issue in below freezing temps.

I have read several threads concerning the safety of summer tires on the 2SS when driving in below freezing temps. The temperture here for the last few days has started in the teens and did not get much above freezing. I have driven my 2SS during that time and did not notice any difference than when the temperature was in the high 60s. Is this simply much to do about nothing! I could understand if we had sleet or snow but in dry cold weather I don't see a problem.
cremaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
The Pirellis are just fine in sub freezing temps. They naturally will spin easier because the rubber gets harder, but once you've gone a few miles and warm them up they are just fine. Now it's a different story in hard packed snow.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you're driving around in temperatures that cold without letting the tires warm up first, you will feel a difference in handling. Also, if you give it a little gas, or accelerate too fast, you may break the back end loose without meaning to

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
Good grief! You must be one of those people that insists on learning things the hard way... May no one get hurt while you do so.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
cremaley
10 SS

I could not agree more. Driving on hard packed snow is a totally different story. Thankfully, we don't get much snow in the Atlanta area.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
It was 10 below here and the tires feel like they are made of metal. They spin even on dry pavement if I step on it! Too much power for the low grip. I feel like I'm driving on ice the whole time!

They also have VERY obvious flat spots when I start out. bump-bump, bump-bump, bump-bump... it's aweful.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
cremaley
10 SS

SilverIce1: If I feel a difference in the handling I will stop driving my 2SS and switch to my Audi TT. In the mean time, its full speed ahead.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
cremaley
10 SS

We also don't get 10 below in Atlanta. Thank God!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
It was 10 below here and the tires feel like they are made of metal. They spin even on dry pavement if I step on it! Too much power for the low grip. I feel like I'm driving on ice the whole time!

They also have VERY obvious flat spots when I start out. bump-bump, bump-bump, bump-bump... it's aweful.
Mine spin when I step on it too, even when it was 90 degrees. I also have the problem with flat spots, even in the Summer. After a mile or so they ride fine. If these tires are that dangerous to drive on in the cold I wouldn't think GM would use them. I know they are summer tires but with a little common sense they are just fine on cold dry pavement.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
You can't bullet-proof the world, as much as some would like to!!!
Common sense goes a long ways in anything we do.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
cremaley
10 SS

Oldrocker: You could not have put it better. A little common sense goes a long way.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
colorado pony

Drives: 1972 nova ss
tire make up

today tires have diffent rubber mixes.... summer tires are make from soft rubber comprounds that will harded soon in cold weather... m/s tires are made to harded at a lower temp...... snow tires are make not to harded at all...... it all in the mix of rubber and chemistry as to how a tire well preformer in the snow or in the summer
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
kardut

Drives: 2SS/RS RY
Ok...here is probably a stupid question from a newbie, but...

If the summer tires are so awful in the cold and snow (which I'm sure they are, I'm not doubting that...), how do the drivers take the cars safely from the Oshawa plant to the striping factory, a 12-mile or so roundtrip, safely during the Canadian winter?

(Just wondering 'cause my car has a TPW of 1/18, and I want it to arrive safe and sound )
kardut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardut View Post
Ok...here is probably a stupid question from a newbie, but...

If the summer tires are so awful in the cold and snow (which I'm sure they are, I'm not doubting that...), how do the drivers take the cars safely from the Oshawa plant to the striping factory, a 12-mile or so roundtrip, safely during the Canadian winter?

(Just wondering 'cause my car has a TPW of 1/18, and I want it to arrive safe and sound )
Well, obviously since it's so dangerous... they put special "Winter Only" tires that GM has been hiding on us....

Guess what? It was 18 degree's this morning and my car drove fine. It's been below freezing almost since October, and guess what? My car drove fine.

Don't slam the accelerator everytime you're at a damn stop light, and you wont spin your backend loose. It's common sense for any winter period.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote