Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Speed shifting?

Ok, I know, the manual is delicate. It's only a matter of time before my output shaft breaks since my VIN is in the 149XXX range so I thought I would ask if anyone else has tried this first. Besides mine is in hibernation for the winter so all I can do is dream/remember what it is like to drive her.

The question I pose to the C5 LS3 nation is has anyone speed shifted their car. Now when I say "speed shifting" I am talking the old skool, no clutch, rev to the limit and then grab the next gear WITHOUT USING THE CLUTCH style speed shifting.

I was tempted to try it at the track at the end of the season but chickened out.

Sooo... has anyone been gutsy enough to do this and how did it turn out? Hell, is it even possible?

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
that is not we called speed shifting...hold gas pedal on the floor once hook up and stab the clutch to shift...no lift on accelerator
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I would not try this. There really is no benefit to doing this. Speed shifting is holding the gas pedal to the floor while quickly hitting the clutch to pull the next gear. This requires speed, hence the term speed shifting. I see no real performance benefit in doing this. You would just do a bunch of unnecessary damage to your transmission.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
that is not we called speed shifting...hold gas pedal on the floor once hook up and stab the clutch to shift...no lift on accelerator
Exactly. I never tried no clutch powershifting except in a 5.0 Mustang that had a Tremec with Straight cut gears. I believe its called a "Crashbox" transmission.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
a good way to break something and kill your transmission...wouldn't do it to my car.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
Of course there is a benefit! The shorter the break of acceleration is, the faster you are, that is logic. So: The faster you change gear, the faster you will accellerate. And skipping the time of rev loss makes your gear change faster. I do nothing else than speedshifting when I ride my speedster, you actually get a real bad hit in your back then. But speed shifting will only work if you are able to shift very, very, very fast, so it is nothing for people who are not perfectly used to manual transmissions and clutches.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf1980 View Post
Of course there is a benefit! The shorter the break of acceleration is, the faster you are, that is logic. So: The faster you change gear, the faster you will accellerate. And skipping the time of rev loss makes your gear change faster. I do nothing else than speedshifting when I ride my speedster, you actually get a real bad hit in your back then. But speed shifting will only work if you are able to shift very, very, very fast, so it is nothing for people who are not perfectly used to manual transmissions and clutches.
OK, just keep in mind the TR6060's synchro's are not the best.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
Sure, since my Camaro will be delivered in February, I couldn't test if speed shifting will work here also. But I guess not, since I read a whole lot about that grinding gears. Because it will be my daily driver, I probably won't speed shift with the Chevy, or at least not in the first or second gear.

Edit: Of course another benefit of speedshifting is that you keep your motor on high revs where it usually has the most power.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
big boss

Drives: Imp.blue, tuned,cold air,magfl,
SPEED SHIFTTING, is good from 1st to 2nd, don't try with 3rd, it locks out,
2 times out of 3.
big boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Maybe Powershifting would be the better choice of wording.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
This is not neccessary. I can row through the first four gears without even squating the ass of the car. Just by shifting normally. But, real fast. Timing is everything. If you pull off what you are describing. Your car's driveline will not survive long. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
As for SPEED/POWER SHIFTING, better have a scatter can if you try it or do it repetitively. The clutch disk and pressure plate (and sometimes flywheel) will magically require replacement. In fact, you may even get a free inspection hole through the trans or even the floorboard.

My car was born 22 Nov 2010 it was delivered about 1 month ago. I broke it in by the rules laid out in the owners manual. Guess what? The Tremec trans is apparently a real P.O.S.!

I am having serious issues (documented in my thread) shifting 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd from day one. It doesn't matter if I shift slow and easy, moderate, or hot and heavy throttle (NOT SPEED/POWER SHIFTING). Even simply shifting a very low speed I have felt gears lightly grind (I didn't force it). At first I thought it was me since my other car is a lighter clutched vehicle. NOPE. It is sadly the Camaro. I have shown this situation to two others who are mechanics and they agree.

I have read there are issues (and possibly a TSB needed? There should be!!!!) with this. I have owned more manual transmission cars then I can count and driven everything from tractors to forklifts to Class A vehicles with stick. MY CAR IS NOT RIGHT! It is going to the dealer ASAP.

I would advise ANYONE who has a Tremec to be very cautious in terms of hard starts because at one point IMHO this trans is going to come apart in spades! It is not a MUNCIE M22 or T-10 Toploader. Too bad...so sad!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
nwiabikr

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Sorry to hear this Orange Krate. Mine was born 11-09-10 #35042 and have had no problems so far. I wish I was in CA. as mine is in storage for the winter. Only 460 miles on it but have been through the gears pretty hard several times. This has me worried as I'm a racer from way back and was planning on running it pretty hard in the spring.
In the past I've enjoyed just leaving the accelerator on the floor as I've quickly shifted through the gears. Thats my definition of power shifting.
nwiabikr is offline   Reply With Quote